PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Skunk Questions!

Hedgehogs, Rabbits, Skunks, Squirrels, Bats, genets, civets etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

hannah233

Skunk Questions!

Postby hannah233 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi! I've recently become extremely interested in skunks and have done hours upon hours of research and watched some documentaries and videos. I've tried finding the answers to these questions online, but they're more for experienced skunk owners and people who have interacted with skunks.

Once they're neutered, are males still more aggressive than females?
If you get them as a baby and put lots of time into them, will they remain friendly as adults?
Do they bond to only one person, or can they just be people friendly in general?

I'm looking at Tiny Tracks as a breeder to get a baby from, has anyone bought skunks from her? Were they mostly tame/friendly when you got them?
Also, if anyone knows of any breeders in or around Wisconsin (or surrounding states) that are reputable, please let me know!

Thanks!
Hannah
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Skunk Questions!

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi, and welcome to the board. Skunks are very cute little animals.

I didn't buy a skunk from Tiny Tracks, but that is where I got my fox. Dave and Tammy are really nice people, and they know a lot about their animals. I've been nothing but happy with my fox. He's almost three years old, and I'm getting another baby from them this spring.

The skunk where I interned was a neutered male. He was very calm, chill, and relaxed. Super lazy, lol. I never saw him behaving aggressively.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:58 pm

[i]Once they're neutered, are males still more aggressive than females?
If you get them as a baby and put lots of time into them, will they remain friendly as adults?
Do they bond to only one person, or can they just be people friendly in general?

I've only owned 3 skunks, 1 spayed female and 2 unneutered males. In my experience neither sex is aggressive. BUT, during breeding season, unneutered males bite, not to be mean, just because that's what they do. So Neutered is definitely best. If you get a baby and socialize it, it will remain socialized throughout its life. They aren't an animal you can put in a pen a\,feed, and forget about, they need companionship. They will sleep with you and live with you. If raised with other animals they are good with them, I don't mean gerbils,mice, & other "prey" type animals. I think they will bond to one person but be friendly to everyone. The reason (I believe) that skunks aren't more popular as pets is because their dietary needs are pretty specific, not difficult, but they MUST be met or your skunk will be fat and short lived.

[i][I'm looking at Tiny Tracks as a breeder to get a baby from, has anyone bought skunks from her? Were they mostly tame/friendly when you got them?/i]
I've never purchased from tiny tracks. The one I got as a baby was friendly when I got it. The other 2 were adult "breeders" and weren't particularly friendly when I got them. The female tamed down and was very friendly and the adult male was always a little afraid of me.
Last edited by Trefoil on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:59 pm

Sorry about that. I meant UNneutered males bite. Found the edit button
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:02 pm

In the course of keeping an eye on the male raccoon we rehabbed/released, often there are skunks that appear on the trail cam so regular that I've given each one a name. :lol: I just got to wondering the other night while watching the videos as the skunks come and go, how the heck do you tell the difference between males and females? I've seen several "fights" amongst them, but maybe they aren't fighting but rather making little skunks? (The action usually begins on camera, but always ends off camera, so it's always a cliff-hanger. Certainly I'm capable of the obvious, if they visibly mate. :icon-wink: )

I've only ever been around one domesticated skunk and that was so many years ago, I have no idea what her 'female parts' looked like now (if I even did then? :shrug: ) I googled several different keywords involving 'sex' & 'skunk'. Besides getting the obviously disturbing hits :lol: , darned if anyone will offer up how to tell a male from a female.

So if anyone can help me 'sex' the visitors to my feeding station, I'd be grateful!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:39 pm

Best I could find is here http://www.skunkhaven.net/VetCare.htm

They have photos of recently neutered and spayed skunks. So looks like males have external testicles. But it's a hard thing to tell really with them if not hands on.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks, TG, but yeah, you're right - unless I can get a super clear photo of them, or hands on (yeah, THAT'S not happening! LOL), maybe it will remain a mystery. Several of the skunks hold their tails straight up in the air, others seem to like the more relaxed tail-dragging on the ground. I've never detected testicles on any of the high-tailed ones. Perhaps they're all girls, showing off their 'wares' to seduce the boys! :icon-wink:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Little Critters”