PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Skunk enclosures?

Hedgehogs, Rabbits, Skunks, Squirrels, Bats, genets, civets etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Skunk enclosures?

Postby Ash » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:40 am

So I'm entertaining an idea--and that's the exact word: entertaining.

I know skunk enclosures don't have to be elaborate or crazy-escape-proof. I know someone who kept a skunk in their desert tortoise's outdoor enclosure. The walls were between 2-3 feet high, and it contained the animal just fine. So I'm thinking a skunk enclosure would actually be super easy to "rig up" pretty fast.

Since it is winter time though, skunks would need a warm place to go. Would an insulated den box with hay inside be enough for them to stay warm from the cold? Or would they need anything else to keep warm?

I'm going to be doing some extra research these next few days, but I was wondering if anybody in the meantime could offer any insight. Skunkhaven.net is a great resource, so I'm going to jump over there and go to town reading.

PS. This is in regards to striped skunks.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Trefoil

Re: Skunk enclosures?

Postby Trefoil » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:53 am

I don't know anyone that keeps a skunk in an enclosure. Aside from their diet and excercise needs, skunks are the most "domestic" like pets. The people I know that have skunks, live with them.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:18 pm

Trefoil wrote:I don't know anyone that keeps a skunk in an enclosure. Aside from their diet and excercise needs, skunks are the most "domestic" like pets. The people I know that have skunks, live with them.

I know a few people who keep them outdoors in enclosures, but yeah, the majority of people I know keep them indoors as house pets.

The hypothetical skunks in question though may or may not be friendly towards humans. They could be totally "wild," for all I know--and that seems like the better assumption in this particular case. So I would need an enclosure in case they did not want human contact or needed slow introduction to human contact.

We'll see what happens. Having worked with skunks, I've seen they really don't need much when it comes to an enclosure, other than a pen they cannot dig out of and a secure nesting box.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:14 pm

2 of my skunks have been "wild". One was used as a breeder and the other a rescue from the wild.Again this is only my limited experience, but skunks don't seem to have wild in them. They may be afraid, but that is easily overcome. however, also in my limited experience, they do hold a grudge and, unlike coons, seem to feel shots.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Trefoil wrote:2 of my skunks have been "wild". One was used as a breeder and the other a rescue from the wild.Again this is only my limited experience, but skunks don't seem to have wild in them. They may be afraid, but that is easily overcome. however, also in my limited experience, they do hold a grudge and, unlike coons, seem to feel shots.

That would be great if they could be tamed down. I wondered how well they did that. I know they have lots of skunk rescues down in Florida, and it seems that most of the skunks there are "adoptable," which I assume means they're not going to be vicious and "wild." So maybe they are much easier to come around, as opposed to something like a fox.

A friend houses her skunks with large tortoises and some birds. It makes for a very cute display. They all just ignore each other, but then you've got a little varied group "hanging out" together.

It's all very hypothetical. I just figured I'd start asking about them in advance, just in case it became a possibility. I once was a big fan of skunks, but that interest faded over time once I actually got foxes and started exploring the options of other species. But now the love and interest is all coming back, and the thought that I may actually be a skunk owner makes me super curious about them all over again.

The skunks in question have been fed a really poor diet their entire lives. So if they did come into my care, I would want to give a primarily insectivorous diet with the occasional young rat. And some veggies or squash. But insects seem to be what they need most, and I think that's where most skunk diets are lacking. They need low fat, low protein in their diets.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:37 pm

Excellent. For some reason, skunks are hard to feed properly for most of us and they get too fat. What I've been trying to get across is,again, in my experience, skunks are cuddle buddies, they love being held and will cuddle up to you to watch tv or sleep. They seem to need the contact. They aren't really a take it or leave it kind of pet. Good luck
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:21 am

Trefoil wrote:Excellent. For some reason, skunks are hard to feed properly for most of us and they get too fat. What I've been trying to get across is,again, in my experience, skunks are cuddle buddies, they love being held and will cuddle up to you to watch tv or sleep. They seem to need the contact. They aren't really a take it or leave it kind of pet. Good luck

Thank you. Your advice was very encouraging and helpful. I would love a cuddle buddy!

Return to “Little Critters”