NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Prevost's Squirrel

Hedgehogs, Rabbits, Skunks, Squirrels, Bats, genets, civets etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Prevost's Squirrel

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:21 pm

I always loved these guys. Over the past few months, I've thought long and hard about getting one for education work, maybe even a pair for breeding. I've decided that yes, I'm going to get one. :)

I'm super excited. I've read online that ferret nations are suitable for most tree squirrels, but I'm going to provide far bigger than that (I personally feel that a squirrel needs an enclosure--not a ferret cage). I'm going to build the enclosure indoors where there is a window-well. The indoor part of the enclosure will be a nice size, but I want to be able to open the window-well window and have the squirrel have a larger space outdoors where it can be feel the sunshine and be stimulated by the smells and sights during the summertime.

I'm going to start working on my permit application soon. I'm not planning on submitting my COR until I have the enclosure built. And the enclosure will be built in a couple months.

TamanduaGirl's posts about making exercise wheels is what really got me back into thinking about Prevost's squirrels. I think training one to a wheel would be a great idea. They have so much energy they need to get out and it would be a great source of exercise if they would utilize it. They are rodents, so hopefully it will come naturally to them, lol.

I will see how well I can socialize it. Squirrels are known to be hostile to outsiders. I'm hoping that with constant exposure to people while young, I can curb that aggression and have it used to large crowds of people. I know of several educators who use squirrels in their programs, so I'm sure it can be done.

Anyway, just wanted to update. :mrgreen: I'm super excited thinking about it, but it will be in the works. Just behind the scenes. I'm needing a few small animals for my programs. There's lots of small animals (legal ones too) that would be good for education work, but I really want to make sure the animals I get are the ones that I've always wanted. I want to make sure each animal is something I am going to keep for the long haul, even if just as a pet.

I've decided on a female. Not thinking about breeding yet. I'm just wanting to experience a Prevost's squirrel and see what they are like. :) So she will be a pet, like the foxes are, but be a working animal at the same time. I won't have her spayed, which may result in behavioral issues, so I will deal with that when it comes. But I would like to keep her intact to see what they're like, and also to keep open to the idea of future breeding while not planning on it.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
GitaBooks

Re: Prevost's Squirrel

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:25 pm

That is so awesome! : )

I'm so glad you are offering a larger enclosure, I wish more people would do that for their pet squirrels, because they are really active little creatures. They are also REALLY smart which is a lot of fun. I've never owned a squirrel, but we did help a mother that had been hit by a car until she was healed enough to leave and she quickly learned to be tame with us and to drink gatorade from a syringe to get her electrolytes.

Squirrels given lots of mental and physical stimulation will likely be tamer, so, again, the exercise wheel and large cage will likely make her easier to work with. And treats can win over anyone. icon-smile

Prevosts are beautiful. I also LOVE the Variegated Squirrels, which come in a lot of colors and patterns.
Some other tree squirrels kept as pets are Rock Squirrels, Grey Squirrels, European Red Squirrels. American Red Squirrels, Fox Squirrels, Palm Squirrels, White-naped Squirrels, Abert's Squirrel, Rope Squirrels, and Sun Squirrels. So many to choose from.
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:58 pm

I also wanted squirrels, but went with coons when we couldn't figure a way to keep them without an enclosure or cage.
They are SO bright and active!! Baby squirrels are so cute you could fall over and die, don't forget to take a
bazillion pictures! :D
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:06 pm

We have drywallers down working in the room where the enclosure will be. I want to get measurements soon, but want to wait for them to be done. I've been working long hours lately, so hopefully when I have some free time (is there such a thing? lol) I can get something drawn up. :)
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:54 pm

It turns out my best friend worked with a Prevost's squirrel for almost an entire summer at one of her old jobs. So I was able to pick her brain and learn a lot from her experience with the one.

The one there wasn't hand-raised, but she was able to tame it to the point it would climb from one hand to other for food she was offering. Since she was the one who worked with it each day, it was tamest around her. She described it as skittish, but friendly and inquisitive.

So that was very promising. If a mother-raised, 3-year-old squirrel could be tamed down well enough to climb on you, then I'm sure a hand-raised one would be even better.

The enclosure the squirrel was kept in was a giant bird cage (flight cage). Can't remember the exact dimensions, but I believe she said it was 12' high, and the squirrel really liked being up at the very top, lol. On the bottom of the enclosure was sand, so waste was able to be raked up easily.

She described it as being low maintenance. On some days she would skip cleaning altogether since it wasn't bad. Sometimes the squirrel would throw its food though.

It was very encouraging to learn from her experience, and I wanted to share it with you guys too. :)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:03 pm

That's great you were able to get some good info on them.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:51 pm

I've seen them for sale over here for £450 for a breeding pair so about $650 US. they look very beautiful, I'm afraid I can't offer much more then that to the conversation!
1.5 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.3 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:52 pm

Thank you. I really appreciate it. :)

That's really low for a pair. I've seen individuals over here for around $900 usually. Sometimes they are a bit less, but that's the average. I'm excited to get mine.

The friend I mentioned above just applied for a permit for a porcupine, and I want to get an animal too! lol. Want my squirrel!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:54 pm

I found this cute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FguJaOyeuBs

Not a Prevost's, but still a squirrel. (I think gray squirrel, but not sure. So many squirrel species look alike.)

Super cute video. Squirrel seems to still be young though, and so therefore could grow out of the overly-friendly behavior. But I thought it was worth sharing!
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:09 pm

actually back in november a reptile store in the UK sold a pair (possibly the same pair i'd seen advertised previously) as part of a clear out sale for £199 ($290) now THAT'S a bargain.
1.5 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.3 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Samkhuu

Postby Samkhuu » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:30 am

Hi ash
I have 2 prevost squirrel
1 male 17 month old
1female 15 month old
He always want mate with her , but im still waiting for a baby squirrel :(

I know you have a freind know everything about prevost squirrel
Can u help me how make they have a baby squirrel

Can you help me plz

I need information and how to make them have baby squirrel

Plz help me

My email sam_khuu_ks@yahoo.com

Plz help me plz
Samkhuu

Postby Samkhuu » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:34 am

Plz help me
My dream is have a squirrel farm
But i dont know how to make them mating
Plz send to my email all information to do that plz plz
Sam_khuu_ks@yahoo.com
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:51 pm

PM sent.

Return to “Little Critters”