PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

A Skunk being sold at a pet store in Florida?!

Hedgehogs, Rabbits, Skunks, Squirrels, Bats, genets, civets etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

A Skunk being sold at a pet store in Florida?!

Postby Laughing Hyena » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:03 am

Is this legal for them to do? They were selling a baby skunk for 200 dollars in a rabbit tank would I need a license to buy that skunk or could I have just bought and walked out with that skunk with no problems? The pet store owner did say they remove the stink through surgery making the skunk a capable pet and said skunks are like keeping a Ferret as a pet. And this was in Florida where I live in Illinois you would see nothing like that in any pet store thats for sure! lol.
Splashstorm

Re: A Skunk being sold at a pet store in Florida?!

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:39 am

It probably is legal. Florida is the one state where they allow like, everything. :hin:
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Hmm actually I know of at least one pet store with exotics in Illinois. I don't know if they have skunks, but I do know they have foxes. I do not approve of it. Anyone can go in and buy these animals without knowing the first thing about them. It's really terrible if you ask me. But yes, it is legal to sell these animals in pet stores. Of course, the animal must be legal in the city, county, and state where the pet store is located. There are probably some other restrictions, I just don't know what they are.

Shame. I really don't think these animals should be in stores, stuck in little tanks for any random person to buy.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:07 pm

NO animal should be in pet stores if you ask me.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Talys

Postby Talys » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:54 pm

I agree 100%! But foxes in a petstore?! I wonder what that does to their disposition, being stuck in a small cage, having people just look at you, poke you, etc. Maybe I'm more biased towards the foxes since they're my favorite. Same goes for a skunk really.
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:30 am

Pet stores are just horrible all-around.. O_O Imagine how snakes or guinea pigs must feel. Every guinea pig ive come across in a pet store is very timid and jumpy.

ImageImage
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Every guinea pig ive come across in a pet store is very timid and jumpy.

Probably from a mill and never handled.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:11 pm

I never thought of that. That must be it though. No wonder, and i thought all guinea pigs were like that.. Stupid me :wall:

ImageImage
haira32

Postby haira32 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:04 pm

It is actually relatively common to see skunks in pet stores in Florida. The pet stores are not the best environment for them and they often end up as impulse buys by owners that don't properly know how to care for them. Coincidentally (or not so), there are many skunk rescues in Florida that do their best to educate the pet stores that sell them in hopes to get across to the buyers.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Hopefully skunk ownership will become more widely accepted, and more exotic pets will be accepted as well.

ImageImage
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Them being in the pet store is actually a step for them as being accepted more widely.
It should actually socialize the skunk or fox pretty darn well being in the pet store as long as they are babies.
I dont think an impulse buy is always or even most of the time bad. I have bought some things on impulse, hasnt everyone? I have no problem with small mom and pop stores. I love them actually. Trouble is petco and petsmart have all but eliminated them here.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Impulse buys are most of the time bad for exotic pets, but I don't support pet stores that sell animals in general. Too many dogs and cats from pet stores are from mills.

ImageImage
haira32

Postby haira32 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:15 pm

It is a good step that they are basically considered "normal" pets in Florida, but again Florida has very loose laws to almost all exotics. The problem with impulse buys at pet stores is that people haven't done their research. They get their cute little baby skunk and then realize its a food driven, destructive ball of fluff. Unfortunately, the web is also full of contradictory information on what is proper skunk care. All of the skunk rescues in Florida do a really good job in educating new owners and re homing unwanted skunks. There is actually an annual skunk show coming up in Florida too.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:15 pm

A skunk show?! That sounds like one of the most adorable things ever. :piggy:
I never realized skunks were that docile. Enough that you could bring them into a group of strange skunks and they'd be fine. For some reason I always associated their personality with cats. I dunno why. Maybe their aloofness? I haven't done any research on them, really. Just what I skim across on here in passing.
BattleMage

Postby BattleMage » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:40 pm

The problem is all main stream marketing is about impulse buying with the least information possible.

I met a few business owners in various industries in the past. Their philosophy is exactly that. Close a sales as fast as possible. Give out as little information as possible. Never educate the customer. I saw stuff get sh** saying/teaching customer "too much".

I believe Petmart, Petco are in this category. They will have staff answering simple question like pet food you can get in the store. They will never talk/educate about long term care and pet behavior one should look out for. Because doing that will either turn away too many potential customers(impulse buyers), or make a 5min sales pitch into a two hours lecture.

All they want is someone to walk in the store, see a pet and swipe their credit card in 5min with no question asked, and keep coming back for pet food. If the pet die, just come back for a new one. (I hope I am not exaggerating too much.)

Return to “Little Critters”