PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

A Skunk being sold at a pet store in Florida?!

Hedgehogs, Rabbits, Skunks, Squirrels, Bats, genets, civets etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: A Skunk being sold at a pet store in Florida?!

Postby sarajeku » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:52 pm

BattleMage wrote:The problem is all main stream marketing is about impulse buying with the least information possible.

I met a few business owners in various industries in the past. Their philosophy is exactly that. Close a sales as fast as possible. Give out as little information as possible. Never educate the customer. I saw stuff get sh** saying/teaching customer "too much".

I applied for the dog training position at petsmart and was turned down because I was "too" qualified. I had been around animals too much, and knew what I was doing with them. I had a positive reinforcement way to correct barking so that a shock collar wouldn't need to be used. They wanted someone who they could teach to train "their" way and they HATED that I didn't need to use a shock collar. When they asked me what my sales pitch for shock collars would be I said "why would I need a sales pitch for those if I can train without them? Isn't my job to use positive reinforcement?" They wanted me to sell the shock collar if a dog had a barking problem. Same with the invisible fence shock collars. :roll: Kiiinda worries me what they're teaching in those training sessions if I get denied a job for wanting to use positive reinforcement.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 pm

BattleMage, that's horrible.. Ugh, that is EXACTLY why I don't support pet stores!
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:03 pm

sarajeku wrote:
BattleMage wrote:The problem is all main stream marketing is about impulse buying with the least information possible.

I met a few business owners in various industries in the past. Their philosophy is exactly that. Close a sales as fast as possible. Give out as little information as possible. Never educate the customer. I saw stuff get sh** saying/teaching customer "too much".

I applied for the dog training position at petsmart and was turned down because I was "too" qualified. I had been around animals too much, and knew what I was doing with them. I had a positive reinforcement way to correct barking so that a shock collar wouldn't need to be used. They wanted someone who they could teach to train "their" way and they HATED that I didn't need to use a shock collar. When they asked me what my sales pitch for shock collars would be I said "why would I need a sales pitch for those if I can train without them? Isn't my job to use positive reinforcement?" They wanted me to sell the shock collar if a dog had a barking problem. Same with the invisible fence shock collars. :roll: Kiiinda worries me what they're teaching in those training sessions if I get denied a job for wanting to use positive reinforcement.

:nogif:
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:10 pm

I guess it depends on the store. At least stores that sell exotic mammals have to be USDA licensed but I don't think it makes a big difference just that they need to care for the animals decently.

In CA I did the training classes at pet's mart. The lady was a professional trainer that also did things outside of the store. No shock collars but she did use choke chains at first but the right way just to get their attention but the small dogs didn't need to use it and she phased them out later and it was all positive reinforcement when I took my second dog, though I took her to the small dog only class.

My experience with the exotic pet store here wasn't so great though a friend bought a small croc from a store and they were good. There was no sale till the store owner talked to her over several visits and he was sure she would be a good home and said they would also take him back for life if needed.
BattleMage

Postby BattleMage » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:21 pm

@sarajeku That is "conflict of interest". Your better solution for both pet owner and the pet, is bad for the company.

The right and wrong really depends on which side you are on.

I work in IT field and saw too many situation like this. Some IT company will use "bandage" solution whenever possible (not always possible), knowing problem will occur again in a few months, then charge for the same fix again.
BattleMage

Postby BattleMage » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Splashstorm wrote:BattleMage, that's horrible.. Ugh, that is EXACTLY why I don't support pet stores!

When I first "read", I "saw" "BattleMage is horrible" .. I was like WTF :chair: ... Then I read it again :wall: ... LOL :mrgreen:
BattleMage

Postby BattleMage » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:30 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:I guess it depends on the store. At least stores that sell exotic mammals have to be USDA licensed but I don't think it makes a big difference just that they need to care for the animals decently.

In CA I did the training classes at pet's mart. The lady was a professional trainer that also did things outside of the store. No shock collars but she did use choke chains at first but the right way just to get their attention but the small dogs didn't need to use it and she phased them out later and it was all positive reinforcement when I took my second dog, though I took her to the small dog only class.

My experience with the exotic pet store here wasn't so great though a friend bought a small croc from a store and they were good. There was no sale till the store owner talked to her over several visits and he was sure she would be a good home and said they would also take him back for life if needed.

Maybe I generalized too much. Situation may vary from store management and location.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:48 pm

BattleMage wrote:
Splashstorm wrote:BattleMage, that's horrible.. Ugh, that is EXACTLY why I don't support pet stores!

When I first "read", I "saw" "BattleMage is horrible" .. I was like WTF :chair: ... Then I read it again :wall: ... LOL :mrgreen:

LOL XD :hin:

ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:50 pm

About pet stores, I guess some places are good and some aren't. However, I still don't think animals should be stuck in cages all day long. That doesn't strike me as very humane and a lot of times workers are some uneducated college kid. :P

ImageImage

Return to “Little Critters”