PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Keeping bears

Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

SkyShaman

Keeping bears

Postby SkyShaman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:55 am

Hello all. I was curious about keeping bears. Raising them from a cub; Whats their tame-ability and trainability like; throughout all major species?
Are they usually fixed? Enclosure size? All info no matter how broad/specific/or random is welcome!
WANTED!!!
Black Jaguar, White Tiger, Golden Strawberry Tiger, White Lion, Snow Leopard, Jaguar
Please message if you have sources!!!
Nicophorus

Re: Keeping bears

Postby Nicophorus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:22 am

Have you read through all the threads and posts on bears here? What questions do you still have that was not already answered in them?
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:59 pm

My post is more personable and fun, while gathering knowledge.
Posting responses are purely voluntary :icon-wink:
WANTED!!!
Black Jaguar, White Tiger, Golden Strawberry Tiger, White Lion, Snow Leopard, Jaguar
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Also along with the threads here if you look at the top where it says Black Bears, you can hoover your cursor over that and that is the info Pat has on her bears. Pat is very busy but any questions you have after that I'm sure she'll try to answer when she gets time.

I saw in your other thread where you said you though bears were a bigger challenge than big cats but it's the opposite and bears are considered easier and more even tempered(with exception of grizzlies and polars).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi SkyShaman

here is my caresheet on black bears:
http://www.sybilsden.com/caresheet/bears.htm

I agree with TG, big cats are much more difficult to raise than black bears.
I personally, would not want any big cats. I know my limit.

as for the bears, black bears are easier to work with, and cost a litle less than the brown bears to feed.
black bears will settle with little meat, where the brown bears and others usually require a lot more meat.

the fencing for any large exotic much be very secure and large.

if you have more questions, I will try and answer them.

I don't know what all type of animals you have in mind, but, keep in mind, they all require a lot of work and money.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi all, thanks for the reply. I didn't check through the other threads because of the ignorance of shutting bears out; having no idea they are easier to raise than big cats!
I will check the threads now after learning this.
Grizzlies and Polars are more agressive huh? Thats too bad, I was imagining a grizzly, feeling a strong connection to them. Also a strong connection that they are massive! With absolute power that could destroy an owner...
Black bears and browns seem to be the better fit?
WANTED!!!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Grizzlies are a subspecies of brown bear. ;) There's this cool guy in Utah who owns a grizzly. Here's a video of him and his bear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nSWc43TLaI.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Black bears and browns seem to be the better fit?

just the black bears. but, they are still not easy to care for.
also a lot stronger than humans.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:41 pm

ash,

There's this cool guy in Utah who owns a grizzly.
that is doug seus. I have a lot of respect for this guy.
he has worked very hard to train these bears. when they were young, there was a always someone with the cubs.

it takes many hours a day to work with one grizzly.

SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:38 pm

WOW! Awesome!!! I'd love a grizzly, but if browns aren't "friendly" then a GIANT brown probably isn't smart. Though, it depends on each individual animal.
THEORETICALLY I'd be up for the challenge, but the food bill is pretty much the only thing I would be turned off by. 1000 pound animal probably eats 5 times more than a 300 pound one. Unless you got a female? Seems unnecessary.. Though, the majestic beauty of them is powerful!

If they were tame (big cats and bears) it would be fun to wrestle them! I used to do powerlifting and strong man, weighing over 111KG, and submission grappling. Do you think that would be ok?? :mrgreen:
I'm not suggesting that I would beat then hahahahaha. Maybe a fun exercise, wrestling with no claws or teeth???
WANTED!!!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Even when tame, wrestling should never be encouraged with any exotic. This has actually led to some peoples' deaths. They got too casual around an exotic, started to rough-house, and then the animal just got too into it. In Ohio a man was killed by a bear a few years ago he was working with because he disregarded the rules and started to wrestle with it.

Anyway, just an FYI. Never rough-house with something that could kill you. Even when it's little, you want to discourage it so it doesn't think it's okay when it's full grown. A bear could kill you in one swipe--whether it be on purpose or accidental.

The man in the video has tons of experience with bears and trains them for movies. So he's a different case. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:52 am

http://www.bjpenn.com/khabib-nurmagomed ... ling-past/
This was posted today! Just saw it now! Coincidence haha
Russian UFC fighter at 9 years old wrestling bear.
WANTED!!!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:52 am

that brown bear in the video was a cub, under a year old.
try doing that now with a full grown bear.

grizzleys weigh over 1000lbs. black bear females weigh 300-400lb.
males could weigh 600-700lb.

If they were tame (big cats and bears) it would be fun to wrestle them! I used to do powerlifting and strong man, weighing over 111KG, and submission grappling. Do you think that would be ok?? :mrgreen:
I'm not suggesting that I would beat then hahahahaha. Maybe a fun exercise, wrestling with no claws or teeth???

very very cruel to remove the teeth of any animal. I promise you, even if you power lift 24 hours a day, you will never over power a bear.

I can give you an example of how strong they are. on part of my bears enclosure, I had a couple 4x8 iron panels over the fence. they were actually able to pull that off, bend in it up in about 6 folds. my bears are black bears, so, image what a brown bear could do.

not sure if you heard about the guy that made friends with grizzleys in the wild. (can't remember the guys name)
this guy knew to keep his distance. he followed them for several years. then one day, a grizzley ate this guy.

again, owning any large exotic, is a must the owner completely understands their behavior and even at that
it don't guarantee the bear or big cat won't attack.

also, when you own these type of animals, skip any vacations. you most likely will not find someone to watch them,
even if you do, you shouldn't leave them with someone the bears don't know well.

I hope you plan on doing a lot of research on any large exotics. you seem to lack a lot of understanding of owning them.
they are alot of work, expensive and are dangerous.

Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:43 am

Bears (black) have been in my local news for sometime now, there was another attack on a woman in her own garage just a few days ago. She managed to break free and get into her house. A few months ago (or a year ago, I lose track of time) someone else was mauled by a black bear near here too, pretty badly.

This is the Orlando area. I think they have now killed 7 bears since the attack a few days ago. Any bear that is not showing fear of humans.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:33 am

Nicophorus

I seen that one about the bear in her garage. I think the bear had cubs with her, and was looking for food.
but, either way, they still cannot be trusted. captive or wild.

yep, black bears are dangerous, but, browns are even worse.
it is more common that any brown bear is fatal.

Return to “BEARS”