PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Keeping bears

Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

SkyShaman

Re: Keeping bears

Postby SkyShaman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:57 am

pat wrote:that brown bear in the video was a cub, under a year old.
try doing that now with a full grown bear.

grizzleys weigh over 1000lbs. black bear females weigh 300-400lb.
males could weigh 600-700lb.

If they were tame (big cats and bears) it would be fun to wrestle them! I used to do powerlifting and strong man, weighing over 111KG, and submission grappling. Do you think that would be ok?? :mrgreen:
I'm not suggesting that I would beat then hahahahaha. Maybe a fun exercise, wrestling with no claws or teeth???

very very cruel to remove the teeth of any animal. I promise you, even if you power lift 24 hours a day, you will never over power a bear.

I can give you an example of how strong they are. on part of my bears enclosure, I had a couple 4x8 iron panels over the fence. they were actually able to pull that off, bend in it up in about 6 folds. my bears are black bears, so, image what a brown bear could do.

not sure if you heard about the guy that made friends with grizzleys in the wild. (can't remember the guys name)
this guy knew to keep his distance. he followed them for several years. then one day, a grizzley ate this guy.

again, owning any large exotic, is a must the owner completely understands their behavior and even at that
it don't guarantee the bear or big cat won't attack.

also, when you own these type of animals, skip any vacations. you most likely will not find someone to watch them,
even if you do, you shouldn't leave them with someone the bears don't know well.

I hope you plan on doing a lot of research on any large exotics. you seem to lack a lot of understanding of owning them.
they are a lot of work, expensive and are dangerous.

There is a big misunderstanding. I asked about the wrestling purely out of curiosity; Ash was quick on the draw to educate me that wrestling is a no no.. The posted video was AS SAID PREVIOUSLY, PURELY FOR COINCIDENCE SAKE! As I saw it RIGHT after; emailed from my brother. When those "coincidences" happen, I find one should make the most of them.
I will reiterate, NO, I don't think I would overpower or "BEAT" an adult bear in a fight or wrestling. No ego match there... Please, let there be no confusion there :shrug:
Likewise, hope you know I know that was a cub... Haha. I doubt if I didn't know that was a cub, I'd have the common sense to make it to this forum hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! :wall: As well as posting previously that they can get 1000 pounds, well aware of that.
Hope all is cleared up. I definitely have started lower on the learning curve, thats why I'm here now! There is NO intent to grab one of these guys and fight them, or buy them like some "pet" immediately.
I am double majoring in Biophysics and Engineering Physics, those will take up much time! As Ash and I talked on the big cat forum, with time constraints and what not; one needs to build up. I am starting with a Lynx. Then can decide from there.
Hope that clears everything up :mrgreen:

P.s. Also, I NEVER mentioned removing teeth??? Not sure where this came from? I've never pulled my bears canines... Probably because I don't have a bear :icon-wink:
WANTED!!!
Black Jaguar, White Tiger, Golden Strawberry Tiger, White Lion, Snow Leopard, Jaguar
Please message if you have sources!!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:14 pm

SkyShaman wrote:P.s. Also, I NEVER mentioned removing teeth??? Not sure where this came from? I've never pulled my bears canines... Probably because I don't have a bear :icon-wink:

You said it would be fun to wrestle a bear with no claws or teeth.
"Maybe a fun exercise, wrestling with no claws or teeth???"

They actually did used to do this at fairs back when my father was a kid. You could pay to wrestle the bear with no claws or teeth. This of course is considered abusive today(and I guess part of why USDA is involved in making sure "commercial" animals are treated right).

You may have meant somehow training the bear not to use his claws and teeth but I think everyone read it the other way.
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:37 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:
SkyShaman wrote:P.s. Also, I NEVER mentioned removing teeth??? Not sure where this came from? I've never pulled my bears canines... Probably because I don't have a bear :icon-wink:

You said it would be fun to wrestle a bear with no claws or teeth.
"Maybe a fun exercise, wrestling with no claws or teeth???"

They actually did used to do this at fairs back when my father was a kid. You could pay to wrestle the bear with no claws or teeth. This of course is considered abusive today(and I guess part of why USDA is involved in making sure "commercial" animals are treated right).

You may have meant somehow training the bear not to use his claws and teeth but I think everyone read it the other way.

No claws or teeth as is not USING them... As we were talking hypothetical. Not surgically removing them. Such as the subject of grabbling, not fighting; thought that was clear.
I can see the confusion though. Glad that was cleared up.
WANTED!!!
Black Jaguar, White Tiger, Golden Strawberry Tiger, White Lion, Snow Leopard, Jaguar
Please message if you have sources!!!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:56 pm

No claws or teeth as is not USING them... As we were talking hypothetical. Not surgically removing them. Such as the subject of grabbling, not fighting; thought that was clear.
I can see the confusion though. Glad that was cleared up

thank you for clearing that up.... you were not very clear, or I just misunderstood. :shrug:

I just don't want anyone thinking that it is OK to wrestle with a bear, pull their teeth..

I had my bears for 13 years, so I have an idea what they are like. of course I can only speak for
black bears... I do know brown bears are more difficult and dangerous to raise. I personally, would not want any of the brown bear family..... as I mentioned, I know my limit... large cats are also out of my league.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking that one of the reasons black bears would be a better choice for a pet is the fact that they are frugivores (they only eat fruit and nuts) while other subspecies are omnivores and so might be tempted to take a bite whereas the black bear wouldn't?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:09 pm

veralidaine wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking that one of the reasons black bears would be a better choice for a pet is the fact that they are frugivores (they only eat fruit and nuts) while other subspecies are omnivores and so might be tempted to take a bite whereas the black bear wouldn't?

in the wild, black bears will a lot of fruit, but, will eat whatever they can find. I believe the wild black bears will eat small game (rabbits)
mine love fish, eggs also. but, I do give them chicken. sybil loves sweets stuff. benny will eat anything, he is not as picky as sybil. if I give her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a piece of chicken, sybil would go for the sandwich first.
black bears do have a sweet tooth. in the wild, they will try and find honey, even take the good with the bad (being stung)

now, the brown bear family, especially the grizzleys, are more of meat eater, but, they like fish too.
if a grizzly is really hungry, they will eat a human :icon-frown: it has happened. :cry:

also, in the wild, it is not near as common for a black bear to attack a person, as a brown bear would.

by the way, very glad to see you post again, we missed you.

veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Thank you! That's really nice to hear.

That's funny. I remember learning in Wildlife Nutrition that black bears are frugivores, but then other sources say they're omnivores. Maybe it just has to do with what's available. I remember there being some confusion about arctic foxes as well. Technically they're carnivores (because of their digestive system) but in practice, they're more like opportunistic omnivores.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:44 am

most animals in the wild, will eat whatever they can find.
my bears are just spoiled and get good food. captive bears are obviously better fed and cared for.
mine love fruits, especially watermellon and grapes. they seem like their food alternated. they get bored
with the same foods everyday.

I get really P.O ed when some people will say "they need to be in the wild" :roll:
what part don't these people understand that a captive bear gets better care. (except for animal abusers)
I have heard many times (not from this board) that I should release my bears to the wild :roll:

here is some info about the wild bears:
http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/be ... s_kids.pdf

Return to “BEARS”