PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fatalities?

Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nìmwey

Fatalities?

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:48 pm

I've been watching a lot of Barcroft TV's videos of bear owners and trainers, and they seem to me like such docile creatures, like enormous dogs almost.

And of course the main reason people get killed by wild bears is not a hunting instinct, but the bear being spooked, or defending a kill or their cubs.

Then I guess, like any large animal, a tame bear could kill you just by accident.

But has any private owner or bear trainer been killed by bears? At least in the last 20 years?
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fatalities?

Postby Ash » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Yes, there was an 18-year-old in Ohio who was volunteering at an exotic animal facility. He was told not to rough-house with the bears there, but he didn't listen. Sadly, he was killed rough-housing with the bear. When the story came out all the headlines were like "teenager killed by pet bear," but he was legally an adult so was totally his decision. Sad that it happened. Obviously the media used it to try to push exotic bans at the time. I believe this was about 5 years ago.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:45 pm

I don't think that would count as a private owner. I think what Nimwey is asking is, if a captive bred bear has ever killed the person who raised it, basically.

Last I heard, Casey Adams is still alive and well...lol
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:15 pm

it is usually the grizzleys, brown bears that are more apt to kill.
black bears are more docile, however, they still are not like dogs and can a person, but, I hear more of grizzleys that are more apt to kill.

I have seen owners keep black bears in such small enclosures, which is cruel and only brings out aggression in any animal.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:07 am

http://hubpages.com/animals/exotic-pet-attack-google

Here's a good article detailing attacks and fatalities.

2000-2010
Bears
0 (AZA Accredited Zoos)
2 (Non-AZA facilities)
0 (NON-PROFIT SANCTUARIES)
2 (Private pet owners)
4 in total
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).

Return to “BEARS”