HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637[/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

And the last bunch to show :D

Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

ursusem

And the last bunch to show :D

Postby ursusem » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:48 pm

Here we have pictures of everyone feeding the bears in the field. Hope you all enjoy! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:32 am

wow, what great pictures.

I noticed you had a sybils den t-shirt on. :bear
thank you for wearing that.

I didn't know you got to meet lynn rogers, I am envious.
I would love to meet him.

now I want to go there. what state is that in?
(can't remember) how do you make reservations to go there?

would love to hear more about your trip.

I am so glad you got pictures, and and shared them with us.
it made my day seeing them..

thank you so very much for posting them.
if you have more, I would love to see them..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
ursusem

Postby ursusem » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:41 pm

You are very welcome, Pat!

This is in the very state that I grew up in- Minnesota. I live in the southern portion and Dr. Rogers is located (of course) way up north.

The reservation information for going there is on their website. Go here: http://www.bearstudy.org/website/educat ... ourse.html

I actually got into an argument with Lynn about owning "pet" bears. He didn't think that people should keep bears... But I told him that I didn't agree and told him my own thoughts on the matter.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:27 am

I really wish I could go there. but, it is a long trip and an expensive one for me :cry

is there just a day tour there?

I actually got into an argument with Lynn about owning "pet" bears. He didn't think that people should keep bears... But I told him that I didn't agree and told him my own thoughts on the matter.

what was his answer after you told him that?

I think the reason he feels that way, is he understands these bears, and know what they are capable of. the problem is, too many people buy cubs, without any knowledge, then when they grow up, they don't know what to do with them. to keep a bear in a good inviroment, it could cost lots of money. too many of these bears are kept in small enclosures, which is not good. this will only bring the worse out in them :cry:

I am not saying no one should own one, I am saying people that want them, should do research, and understand what they are getting into.

do you have more pictures and info??

again, thank you so much for sharing your trip.

ursusem

Postby ursusem » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:28 pm

They have a North American Bear Center up there in Ely, MN. The bear center is basically a museum of bear behavior. There is a gift shop at the center and two live black bears on display (actually three now). The names of the two adult bears are Ted and Honey. There is a picture of me kissing Ted through the fence from the sectioned off area where they took my group.

Ted and Honey both used to be pet bears of a private couple. And while Ted really loves people, and it was true that his original human owner really loved him- they ended up having trouble keeping the bears (I remember Lynn telling me that the owners couldn't spend all of the time in the world with the bears because they had to go to their jobs). Somehow, the owners had to give Ted and Honey away. Ted is huge- he's thought to be the largest black bear to have ever lived. His owner loved to feed him lots of candy. The owners were very sad that they had to give their bears away.

Yes, the bear class is expensive. I am grateful that I was able to go (due to several different factors. I am very passionate about bears in particular- I've never cared for a bear as a pet... I was 17 years old at the time)

When I first mentioned the idea of owning a bear as a pet- he seemed to think that I meant keeping it in a tiny metal cage... But I said, "well what about if the bear was kept on five acres of land?" And he was pretty surprised when I said that- that is more space than the amount of land that he has at the Center for Ted and Honey (and now Lucky- the cub who was on my leg). I had a comeback for every argument he had against keeping bears as pets.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:22 am

sounds like you left him speachless :lol:

ursusem

Postby ursusem » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Pat, don't you think it is weird that the previous owners of Ted had to give him away?

Do you think that a lot of owners of exotic animals need to do this? They have made other exotic owners look bad. I don't know.... You seem to be doing just fine with your bears, whatever it is that you are doing (seems to be "working"). I am thinking that I would really like to meet your bears in person someday, by the way.

I feel like there are other owners of bears who frequent Sybil's message board. They must be successful bear owners- I would think.

And the exotic owners must need to be with their pets all of the time- am I right? I am just remembering Doug Seus's daughter talking about the relationship between her human family and their captive bears and she said, "You can't think- 'when I am done wrestling with this bear, I am going to go to the coffee shop.'" The thinking seems to be that the bears will forget you and not know how to be with you peacefully if you leave them for one second. Is that what it is like having bears as pets?

I do wonder how you find the time for message board conversations (please no offense intended- I'm just always trying to make sure that I understand) and it sounds like you are also currently able to safely go into the bear pens with Sybil and Benny. If I were to do something similar to what you are doing, I would only keep bears- no other animals, except for maybe a house cat or two (because I think it would be, like, waay too much work!).

I don't mean to sound too paranoid.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:11 am

Pat, don't you think it is weird that the previous owners of Ted had to give him away?

no, it is not unusual. this happens alot. that is why I tell everyone that is considering getting a large animal, to make sure they understand what they are getting into. it is hard to take a vacation. friends and family don't really want to feed bears, if they did, it would be a very big worry to let anyone to it, in case something goes wrong. maybe they dn't shut the door tight.

for bears to be really happy, they need activity and water, and the bigger than pen, the better. too many people try to keep them in too small of a pen. it can get very expensive and alot of work to put up chain link fencing. the bottom needs to be very secure, so they can't get out.
also, people have a hard time finding a vet to treat a bear.
there is just alot to owning them.

Do you think that a lot of owners of exotic animals need to do this? They have made other exotic owners look bad. I don't know.... You seem to be doing just fine with your bears, whatever it is that you are doing (seems to be "working"). I am thinking that I would really like to meet your bears in person someday, by the way.

yes, when, bear owners or any other large exotic owner end up getting rid of their animal, obviously, they need to go somewhere, so they need to find a rescue. many of them are already over crowded.
this just makes the owners the keep their animals look bad too :cry:
sybil and benny would love to meet you too. they love company.

I feel like there are other owners of bears who frequent Sybil's message board. They must be successful bear owners- I would think.
I don't hear from any of them, except for pet lover and michael.

And the exotic owners must need to be with their pets all of the time- am I right? I am just remembering Doug Seus's daughter talking about the relationship between her human family and their captive bears and she said, "You can't think- 'when I am done wrestling with this bear, I am going to go to the coffee shop.'" The thinking seems to be that the bears will forget you and not know how to be with you peacefully if you leave them for one second. Is that what it is like having bears as pets?
no, not really. but, the more time that is spent with them, the better. doug raises bears for a living. so that is pretty much his job.
he has to spend hours and hours with them. in fact, I read on his site, or seen on tv, that when they are young, those bears have human contact 24 hours a day. everyone took turns being with them.

no, the bears don't forget you, they are pretty smart. no different from when they come out of hibernation. in fact, on one lynn rogers programs, he said when the bears come out of hibernation, they all remembered him. basically, their personality or actions don't change at all, no matter how long you are away from them. but, it is best to give them as much attention as possible though.

I do wonder how you find the time for message board conversations (please no offense intended- I'm just always trying to make sure that I understand) and it sounds like you are also currently able to safely go into the bear pens with Sybil and Benny. If I were to do something similar to what you are doing, I would only keep bears- no other animals, except for maybe a house cat or two (because I think it would be, like, waay too much work!).

I do have my hands full. but, I work alot too. I need to spend more time with all my animals. I am now working out another plan to lessen my work load, so I can spend more "quaility" time with them all.

but, for me, it is a great learning experience to live with foxes, raccoons and have raised black bears.

I also found it interesting on how different speicies of animals can interact with one another.

sybil loved the dogs and played great together.
also sybil and my steer. they are still buddies.

fox and raccoon who play together.

raccoon and coonhounds play together.

my mini donkeys and coonhounds play together.

it is worth the work for me.
but, if everything is set up right, it really is not too bad.

ursusem

Postby ursusem » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:00 pm

I would like to somehow keep bears someday... I graduated from high school last year, and I've been in college for two years now. I am 19 years old and have always lived at my parents' home here in southern Minnesota- I've never lived on my own yet- Why? It is a wiser decision to live rent free at home in the midst of this economy and all. I still work at the same minimum wage job that I started working at when I was 16. Since that time I have been saving/ banking my money to pay for college- and possibly beyond (if I can save that much- and I really hope to).

Obviously I am in no position to have pet bears now. But someday I hope to live with at least one bear.

One of my Internet friends (from Texas) is going to fly up to meet me here in Minnesota on August 3rd. I also hung out with him last year for a week- this time he will be staying (to visit and vacation) for about two weeks. He is 22 years old and has one more year of college to do- he is just as into bears as I am and he is Grizzlycoon here on Sybil's den!

I'll drive up to the cities and pick him up at the Minneapolis airport and our plans are to drive up to Orr, Minnesota- this is deep in the north woods of Minnesota. It is said to be the gateway to Voyageurs National Park at the border. We will visit Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary especially because there is a management job opening available and the people at the sanctuary want to meet my friend and I because my friend will be graduated next spring and they will want him to fill the position.
This is an awesome opportunity- the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary is mainly a sanctuary for American black bears, where tourists come to learn about and watch the bears from the decks built above. Bears are considered an umbrella species- so if a bear can live in an environment then all other species can also live in this environment- because if an environment can support the needs of a bear, then we know that this environment is very wild and capable of supporting all other wild native species of the area.

So this vacation will be very exciting!!
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:20 am

Your pictures don't show up for me. Do you know why?
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:35 am

oops, sorry about that. Evidently you must be logged in to see pictures. I didn't realize and thought my computer was messing up. Great pictures.
I think that communication is the cause of a lot of the problems that exotic owners have with the public. When they hear "pet" they picture the animal being treated like a rabbit, in a small pen. Because some people are idiots, we all get tarred with the same brush and the only way I can think of to get around that is to regulate the owning of exotics like tigers, apes, and even bears to assure that the people owning them have the acreage and money to support them.
FoxyLoxy

Postby FoxyLoxy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:52 am

It also doesn't help that you rarely need a permit to own any kind of primate (excluding humans) and so anyone can buy a big ole chimpanzee that can go on a rampage and gets killed because of an irresponsible owner. . .grr. . .
Sorry, I'll try to stop ranting. I'd just think that a person would know better than to leave a 200 pound wildish animal around a 70-year old.
Foxes love gingerbread men, cheese, and Tom Thumbs, if fairy tales can be believed.

Return to “BEARS”