please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Smiling Bears

Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

ursusem

Smiling Bears

Postby ursusem » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:48 pm

I read a new, current book (published in the spring of 2009) at the beginning of this summer. The name of it is "Smiling Bears: A Zookeeper Explores the Behavior and Emotional Life of Bears" the author is Else Poulsen.

It is the best book on the reality of bears that I have read YET! I have gone through many bear books- but this one is simply the most splendid. What I love the most about it is that it contains the many situations that a dedicated zookeeper encountered while observing her captive bears (blackies, brownies, Andean and polar bears) over the decades she had providing for their complex and very person-like needs.

I have NEVER learned more about bears. This is my thing- ultimately I want to know bears intimately as Else Poulsen has been so blessed.

Anyone interested in understanding the mind and perspective, personhood and emotion of bears- absolutely must read this book.

......And there is so much more that I must know about their genetic psychology. I am not satisfied- but it is a GREAT start!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:20 am

thanks for that info, I will try and find that book, I would love to read it.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
ursusem

Postby ursusem » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:52 pm

One interesting theme that Poulsen found when interacting with the many different bears she has been with over the years is that when bears are experiencing pain- either physical or emotional, they make direct eye contact with Poulsen and they bite one of their front paws. She noticed how this happened in several different appropriate situations. Bears seem to communicate through demonstration.... I feel like I should really give some excerpts from the book, but I would have trouble choosing what to present from the book because there are so many good parts that I wouldn't know which excerpts to use here.
ursusem

Postby ursusem » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:31 pm

Here, this link describes the book better than I am telling about it. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/books/sm ... le1179569/
Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:10 pm

That sounds like an interesting book. I like the exerpt about the bear with its goldfish "pets".

Return to “BEARS”