PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Bears standing...

Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Beorn

Bears standing...

Postby Beorn » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:25 pm

I have two questions about bears. First, why should I not allow my (possibly) future pet bear to stand up? And also why shouldn't it be allowed to wrestle if declawed? I know that sounds like a silly question, but I have seen other bear trainers wrestle with their bears and they behave well.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:28 pm

If you can spend 8+ hours a day training them, and also have someone else after the 8 hours, then go ahead and wrestle with them and let them stand.

usually most bear owners, don't have 8+ hours everyday to work with their bears.

keep in mind, when they are full grown, they are very strong animals.
if you wrestle with them with they are cubs, then they think it is OK when they are full grown.

bears still have a "wild instict" and anything can trigger their behavior change..

a know a few people that did wrestle with thier bears as a cub, then when the bear was full grown, they could not go in the pen with them :cry:

the bear trainers have many many hours and expience in working with these bears.

doug sues bears were worked with 24/7.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Beorn

Postby Beorn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:25 am

Ok, that makes sense. I also would like to wonder why you wouldn't want to allow the bear to stand up. Would it trigger some sort of challenge or what?
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:30 am

Well, don't most bears stand up before they attack you/ use it as a threatening position so that they don't have to attack you?

...Nevermind, I shouldn't be commenting because I really don't know - but that's what comes to mind, so I think it might make it trigger defensive mode or something... ?
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
Beorn

Postby Beorn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:51 am

Yeah, that does make alot of sense. I would just like to get an experienced opinion on it too in the case of me possibly getting a bear. But thanks for the input :)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:23 am

bears instinct for standing is sometimes because of to be able to see danger ahead.

also, sometimes bears stand to show their dominance.

but, with cubs, they stand to see danger ahead.

also, sometimes, bears look at a person as being dominant, so another bear would sometimes challenge that.

mine use to stand alot more when they were cubs. but, I have not seen sybil or benny stand for a very long time.
maybe they are too fat to stand :lol:

now, sybil and benny will sit up like a person would, but, when they do that, they just seem to be looking around more than anything.

I would never let them stand when I feed them or give them a treat.
I started out by squatting down to their level before I would give them a treat, if they were standing, they didn't get their treat.

it is now to the point, they know they won't get a treat or eat if they stand.

I am very happy to hear you are doing research before getting a bear.
there is alot to be sad about raising them.

feel free to ask any question.

Beorn

Postby Beorn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks, I'll definately be asking more questions once I can think of some.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Ok, I'm still a little confused about the whole standing thing.

Pat, can you tell me the exact reason you didn't give them the treat if they stood? What were you trying to prevent?

thanks
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:10 pm

trying to prevent them to think it Ok for them to stand when I am in the pen with them. if something sets them off, it would be that much harder to get away from them.

sometimes, bears will stand to show their dominance.
but, in the wild, they also stand to see danger.

I don't think I would want benny standing with me, at over 600 lbs, and taller than me.

I just feel more secure when they are on all fours.

as for the their treat, I want them to be on all fours. not standing when I give them the treat. with benny, I would have my arm up in the air to give him a treat :lol:

a high arm or waving arm could sometimes be looked at as a threat to them.

maybe I am wrong, but, to me, this is just common sense.
and it works out better for me.

Return to “BEARS”