PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Questions for a Story

Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FoxyLoxy

Questions for a Story

Postby FoxyLoxy » Sun May 09, 2010 11:05 pm

I'm in the middle of writing a fantasy story in which one kingdom has domesticated black bears because, well, bears are cool and underutilized. I'd like to keep to fact as much as possible instead of just making things up, so I'd like to ask some questions from bear owners.

-What's a black bear's top speed? What terrain can they travel through well?
-How well can black bears climb trees and/or swim?
-What time of year (month) do most black bears come out of hibernation?

And here's a weird one that could affect a plot point: do human sedatives work on bears?
Foxes love gingerbread men, cheese, and Tom Thumbs, if fairy tales can be believed.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon May 10, 2010 7:55 pm

not sure of of their top speed. but, they can run pretty quick if they have to.

black bears can climb trees very well. mine can't, because I had them declawed. water is a bears favorite. they love to swim. they are nature born swimmers.

black bears generally come out of hibernation around march or april, depending on the weather, and in the wild, probably their food source.

not sure about the sedatives. I would guess they would work, but, they would need more dosage than a person.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
cj_0512

Re: Questions for a Story

Postby cj_0512 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Black bears can run at top speeds from 25 to 35 mph and can climb and swim very well like pat said. Not sure about the other things but please post the story when youe finished I would love to read it
Juska

Re: Questions for a Story

Postby Juska » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:51 pm

I know that black bears can climb UP very well, but getting down is another story. Just thought I'd throw that in.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!

Return to “BEARS”