ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Black Bear Cub

Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Cowboydan

Black Bear Cub

Postby Cowboydan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:56 pm

I have a few exotic animals. I just got a black bear cub from my breeder. This is my first experience with a bear. I dont know a whole lot about them but there isnt a book to buy to tell me how to raise them. This cub is like having the worst 2 year old child you could ever have. He is in to everything. Thats not what bothers me. What does bother me is that he bites all the time. How can I correct him from doing that? He is a baby. He is teething. Will he ever stop biting? Is this a stage he is going through but will hopefully come out of? I've tried to ignore him when he does it. That doesn't work. I tapped him on the nose and told him no. He gets very defensive and comes after you biting you. Any suggestions? I need help!
Lasergrl

Re: Black Bear Cub

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:09 pm

I do not have a bear, and do not know if this wud work at all, but I put bitter apple spray all over my arms when my serval was a kitten. It worked well.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:21 pm

I don't have any experience with bears either...but I'd say it's not something you should let go- even if he slightly grows out of it, he most likely won't think it's so bad to bite- and then when he bites you when he's full grown...not fun. So, I would say it needs fixing.
Sorry I don't have much anything productive to say, but I was just going to suggest that you move this to the bear's section- you'll probably get more replies there.
Good luck!
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:33 pm

I went throught that with sybil.
sounds like you got the cub from a "not so good" breeder.

usually, when they are that agressive, they may have been pulled from momma shortly after they were sold :cry:

for now, try skipping the tap on the nose, tell him "no", I know he won't listen or understand for awhile, but, be persistant and make sure you correct him every time, and right at the persise moment, so he can understand the connection.

bears usually fear load noises.
once he learns the word, you could then try again with tap on nose or a spray bottle of water along with the word "NO"

yes, they do outgrow it, but, it takes quite some time. just be patient.
never hit him hard, or at all. this will only make him more agressive.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:16 pm

How old is this cub? I agree with Pat sounds like you got this cub from someone who just took it away from its mother and it was not bottle fed soon enough. I had a cub that did the samething not matter what you did it would come after you and still try to bite. A mother bear is very stern with her cubs I have seen them bite cubs and smack them hard enough to send them rolling. After my cub reached about 15 lbs I had grown tired of getting bit and scratched, I knocked the holy hell out of him and then he grew tired of getting smacked on his nose that hard and gained some respect when I got into the pen with him. You need to show your cub that you mean buisness. Its going to take a while but stay after it and DONT WRESTLE OR ROUGH THE CUB UP WHEN PLAYING. You dont want it to become affraid of you but at the sametime you dont want it to run you. Thats why is so important to pull cubs off the mother after a couple of days before they build that bond. You want them to build that bond with you. Some people wont agree with my methods, but this cub could become very dangerous and can hurt you. Even a small cub could send you to the ER for stitches.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:42 am

michael,

that was interesting about the mother bear method of correction.
I guess, I never thought of that.

I could be wrong, but, don't the momma bear sometimes pick the cub up by the scruff of the neck and shake it a little?

I can remember awhile back, when my of dog(basset hound)
growled at sybil, when she was trying to play with the the dog.
sybil picked the dog up by the scruff of the neck and shook her a little.
then put her down. (scared the hell out of me when I seen sybil do that)
but, the dog was never hurt, not one scratch on her.

sybil was older at the time. so, I thought it might of been a mother instint.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:47 pm

yep I have watched video of the moma bear even throwing a cub when lifting it off the ground...lol I guess its tough love. I never took things that far but I did crack him across the nose pretty good and smack him right on the tip of the nose. I know that would sound like abuse to some but you got to show a bear like that, your in control and wont put up with its behavior. If this bear continues to act like that growing up its not going to be very much fun to have around. Will probably even end up a cage hitter or worse. Hope you can get your cub turned around Dan. Hang in there dont give up to soon.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:14 pm

michael,

guess those cubs are pretty durable :monk-dev:

hope Cowboydan would post back, so we know how his cub is doing.

got a question for you. does your male bears make like grunt noise and/or chatter their teeth around mating season?

benny seems to do that every year around this time.
I always worry something is bothering him. but, he only does this in june and july. I think he is too fat to breed sybil.

finally got phase one done on their pen expansion. so they now have more room and different views. they have a small water hole, its about 6ft in diameter. not big enough for sybil so swim, but, atleast they have flowing water now and more room. I hope to get the other expansion done. but, gotta figure a way for the pond that hubby dug awhile back, to hold water :icon-frown: once that is figured out, then we can continue with the other addition. sybil will then have her own pond to swim in.

Cowboydan

Postby Cowboydan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:35 am

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Sorry for the delay in replying. Between working and my cub I stay busy.lol. Anyways the cub is doing ok. He is up to about 30 lbs. Always wants to eat and always cranky. I have him on 15-20 regular baby bottles a day. I hope thats enough and not to much. I always feel his belly through the day and throughout the night periodically to make sure he has something in his belly. He usually comes to me and lets me know when he hungry. About every 2-3 hours. Micheal I totally agree with what you said. There is a difference between abuse and disipline. We were disciplined growing up and we made it lol. I started off flicking him in the nose when he bit. But it didnt seem to work. It just made him more angry and he would attack me. Hes getting bigger fast and still bites. Not as hard as he did, but he still is biting not good. So Ive went from flicking to a smack and now a little harder smack. He knows what the word NO means now. He also realizes that a bite gets a hard smack in the nose and a stear NO. 2 things he doesnt like. ms It seems to be working. We will see if it has an impact. I have to say this is the worst animal Ive ever raised lol. The moutain lion and kangaroo were a dream. This cub wears me out. But we are still hangin in there. Thanks for I'll the replies everyone. I'll keep you posted on how he is coming along.
Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:51 am

Well It looks like some of what you are doing is making an impact. One other thing you might try and this may sound very harsh is to use a hand held shocker. You can get one at TSC farm supply. I bought one for my tigers and all they have to do is see me with it and they straighten up. Get the handheld small black one I think its around 40 bucks. It will knock the crap out of him and do it everytime he bites that way he will know its coming. I know what ur going thru I had a cub just like that lol and It hurts like hell with those sharp teeth not to mention those sharp little claws. I refer to it as tough love just gotta stay after his butt. If your going to raise and keep large and dangerous exotics the most important thing is you got to protect yourself. People wouldnt agree with the shocker or smacking them on the nose hard but if you get hurt then you cant care for your animals or even worse you cant work or provide for your family. You got to put yourself first or your not going to do anyone or your animals any good. Hope that makes sense to people reading this post. We all here the horror stories and I dont want to be someone you read about getting mauled or killed. I wish you the best of luck with your cub...lol I know its very exhausting but hang in there.
Cowboydan

Postby Cowboydan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:05 am

Well its been a day or two and the cub seems to be doing better.Still biting but not as much. Once again Micheal thanks for the suggestion. Im going to go get a shock collar. I like the fact of working with the shock collar more than smacking him. That way its the collar disiplining him instead of me physically and I dont want him to shy from me thinking Im always going to smack him. I didnt think of using a shock collar. Thanks. He reponds to the shock well as he has found the electric horse fence a few times. Lol he didnt like it. Believe it or not I have an inground dog fence so I can keep my dogs in the yard and they can roam the whole property. The cub would sometimes wonder out of the yard and to the neighbors. So a few weeks ago i put a collar on him and he now stays in the yard. So I know the training collar should work well. We will see how he adjusts to it in a few days. Thanks everyone.
BB

Postby BB » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:39 am

I'm not quite sure if Michael was talking about a shock collar, I think he meant like a cattle prodder. But either way looks like you are making progress! Good luck!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:07 pm

I think a shock collar at this stage might be a bit drastic.
if the collar is not used at the exact precise time, the cub might not get the connection. it can only cause confusion.

sybil was very wild when I got her, it just takes time for them to get use to you. oh, and patience, patience and more patience

it took sybil several months before she learned she is not suppose to be biting.
wild cubs don't understand human ways icon-sad

make sure you have all the bottles ready.
(with sybil, she would go nuts, when she finished her first bottle)
sometimes, this is a two man job.
your cub should be eating by now. you can start with fruits.

do you have pictures of your cub? I would love to see him.

Cowboydan

Postby Cowboydan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am

Well Teddy is doing great. Still impatient at times but alot better. I put him on my inground fence system. He does pretty good at staying in the yard. I have been using the remote shock collar on him but hardly ever have to use it now except maybe sometimes i use the beep and vibrate just to get his attention. He has learned the word NO. He totally understands that. He knows his name. i can call for him and usually he comes running. He also understands ENOUGH. I use this when I play with him and when he starts to get rough or Im tired I give this command and he'll stop. He is still biting my wife and other visitors ocasionally depending on his mood. If he's tired or hungry watch out! lol Anyways hes come along way and hopefully it will continue to get better. I did have another question though. When tedddy is loose outside on the inground fence, with one of us, or inside the house in his kennel he is fine. But I have a pen outside for him to eventually I hope live there. We put him there if we are working all day or not home for some reason. My neighbor will come feed him at his regular times. My neighbor says from the moment I leave his cage till someone comes home all he does is pace back and forth all day. He did this so much for like 2-3 days. We would put him in there in the morning and go get him out in the afternoon. He paced so much his poor little paws were bleeding. So needless to say for the last 2 weeks hes been loose or in the kennel inside. My question is will he calm down and stop pacing. He wont stop until someone goes out to his cage. After I saw his paws bleeding he walked on the sides of his paws for about a week cause they hurt so bad. What can I do to get him to stop?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:50 am

sounds like you are making really good progress.

the reason for the pacing is he is bored and lonely.
he is use to having someone with him.
wow, for him to pace that bad, he must really want out.
it will take time for him to adjust to the pen.

do you have any type of swimming pool for him?
toys? you can also try putting some treats in his pen, maybe hiding them, so it will keep him busy finding them. but, don't know if this method will work right now. sounds like he has a one track mind, and that is to be with is daddy :lol:

can you put any of your dogs in with him when he is in the pen?

actually, I raised sybil in my house for her 1st year.
she was overly spoiled though. she loved the dogs, and would play and even hunt outside with them. but, when sybil got older, and alot stronger, it was getting too hard to get her back in the pen.

when I put sybil in her pen after a year, she screemed, paced.
it was so bad, hubby sometimes would go sleep with her in her den :roll:

that year, I got benny. once benny was old enough, he was put in the pen with sybil, and that helped alot. sybil calmed down after that.
once in a while, she still gets bored and will pace. but, I think, she just wants out to play with the dogs.

I am glad to hear you have the beep/warning on the shock collar.
I have that feature also. there are times, when I have to use it on my dogs, but, don't need to use the shock setting. only used the shock once (the first time).

again, you are doing a great job with your bear.
please keep us updated on his progress.

Return to “BEARS”