https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Brown Bear's

Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Legend

Brown Bear's

Postby Legend » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Hey everyone : )

I've been doing some research out of curiosity on different types of bears that are commonly kept in captivity. I've heard mixed thoughts on Brown bears though, I know all animals have their own personalities, but how do they compare in temperament to Black Bears?

Obviously their much bigger and stronger, but I would love to hear about anyone's experiences.
Tervicz

Re: Brown Bear's

Postby Tervicz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:37 pm

In some area's of Eastern Europe, Turkey and central Asia they used to keep them and sometimes they still do, using them for entertainment. There is some abuse going on where they do (actually a lot, with the nose ring and such), but I suppose it is possible to have one if these people can manage.
Legend

Postby Legend » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Well when I say Brown Bear, I suppose I should have specified it as a general term. Refering to all of the various subspecies like Kodiak, Grizzly, etc. I hope there is more insight to be offered.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:23 am

black bears are the most common bears that are kept in captivity.

as far as I know, the brown bear family, are more difficult, and more dangerous.

I went to a farm show a few years ago, someone had a few brown bears for entertainment. they were pretty smart, but, I noticed they kept muzzles on them.

I don't even want to think what some of these people do to train some of these bears icon-sad

the only person I know of, that I believe takes good care of his grizzleys, is Doug suez. This guy works with his bears for many many hours a day and also has help. I have alot of respect for him.

I would really love to meet him and lynn rogers.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Legend

Postby Legend » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:27 pm

Haha, it's funny you should say that Pat. Doug was the reason I made the post in the first place. He's bears are very well cared for and very happy, so I was wondering if anyone else had similar positive relationships. It made me sad when I heard the original Bart died.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:43 am

the difference with doug suez vs. private owner, that it is full time job for him.

I was reading that when the cubs are young, people are with them 24/7.
guess, everyone took shifts to be with the cubs.

yep, bummer, about bart. the last I heard, doug got a couple new grizzleys.
that was several years ago, or shortly after bart died.

Legend

Postby Legend » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:35 pm

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:16 am

thanks for the video.
it was so sad and heart breaking though.

I can honestly understand how doug feels, there is something about bears, that a bond can be so strong. it is actually, different than bonding with a dog.

I am very impressed the way doug handles those bears.
and how he trained them. takes alot of trust and time for both the bears and doug.

Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:15 pm

The sanctuary where I volunteered for 3 years had 1 Russian Grizzly and 4 Black Bears. Boris, the Grizzly was wonderful, never showed any aggression and showed off constantly and would dance as he was part of the Moscow Circus and was dropped off there for reasons I do not know. One of the black bears was handled as a cub but was an adult by the time I got there and could turn on a dime, temperment wise, from fine to nasty. The big cats I cared for were way more perdictable than the black bears. This has been my experience. I could reach in through the bars and really pet Boris good and we would sit back to back against the fence and he would pick up the minnows I would put in his cage with those 9 inch claws of his, lots of dexterity. Now on Facebook, I have become friends with many circus trainers and one woman whom I do not know but is an acquaintance of another, truly remarkable woman that works and trains adult polar bears! I knew every animal on this planet is trainable but have never seen anyone but her work polar bears. Many people train and work Kodiaks and Grizzlies, which are the same specie, just different regions, thus the size and color are based on what they eat. I learned this on a documentary. I met the director of the second Yearling movie and questioned why they used a Grizzly instead of a Black Bear for that movie which is based on a true story in Florida. She said noone had a trained black bear to use. Grizzlies are more tractable it seems. But then you have the couple from Minnesota that raised and released black bears and could interact with them just fine as adults. Sows would bring their cubs back to them to show them off. I would raise and release panther and black bear here in Florida where I currently live if I had enough land to do it. Everyone has their own gift, no animal is inherently dangerous imho.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:18 am

Cynthia

that info was quite interesting.

I honestly don;'t know much about the browns/grizzley bears.

guess, I am thinking of the grizzleys in the wild. since they are more of a meat eater than black bears, that might be why I fear them. same goes for the large cats.

yike, polar bears :shock: I have heard they are pretty agressive. but, again, that could be the ones in the wild. I would think many animals in the wild would be more agressive than raised in cativity. I give this woman a lot of credit.

I would love to hear some of these trainers techniques. not that I would attempt to use them. but, sometimes, it helps give me some ideas.

on the dancing bears, I have heard trainers use to use hot plates to make it look like the bears are danciing icon-sad

thanks for that info..

Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:50 am

Hi Pat,

I need to do a google search for that polar bear trainer, I do not have access to my Facebook account at work. I would like to know also, fascinating, really. Hey, if I had my own bears, sure I would apply what others have done, then you formulate what works for you. I applied what I read in Masters of the Impossible, (about Siegfried and Roy) and it was dead on to raising my first tiger cubs and helped me to understand them better. So, you can glean info from everyone, we should all share in our experiences, this is how I believe you learn.

As far as the hot plates, Ouch! Boris and Bentley, Bentley being the black bear, both would dance, they would rock back and forth, on their own accord though, some animals are natural hams. Do your bears make that really cool sound, like the buzzing of bees? Bentley would do this on occasion, like when he was sucking on his paws. Man, I should have been an animal behaviorist, I want to know everything and why!!

You are welcome,

:bear:
Legend

Postby Legend » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:32 pm

That was some awesome info Cynthia, thank you for it! I'm with Pat, I would love to hear more info about these folks to.

Polar Bears have always been my favorite(bear that is), and it always surprises me that everyone mentions them as being aggressive. From everything I've seen Polar Bears always stuck me as kind of timid...maybe ya'll think I'm crazy lol. I think it's from them being the most carnivorous bear, by FAR that gives them that reputation.

I appreciate the Grizzly info, and that seems to make sense. From what I've seen, Grizzlies seem more personable then Black Bears.

Thanks again Cynthia.
Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:00 pm

You are most welcome. The trainer's name is Ursula Bottcher, she started working lions 1955, then started training polar bears in 1960 until 1980. I imagine she may be quite old and retired as a trainer. You can see 2 photos of her on Buckles Blog along with a commentary plus comments of people whom have known her. I don't know how to copy photos from Facebook to here, there are some awesome photos of her, but maybe by searching out her name you can get more info. :bear:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:25 pm

Do your bears make that really cool sound, like the buzzing of bees?
they did when they were younger. they would even do that to my arm or leg :roll: but, they outgrew that.

I don't know how to copy photos from Facebook to here

you can copy the link, then paste it in your reply.
or, right click on the picture, then click save as picture.
save it to your hard drive, then upload it on your reply.

I will try and see if I can find any info of this woman.
sounds very interesting.

thank you for the info..

Legend

Postby Legend » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:27 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... bered.html

I hope this works, pretty amazing pic there! :shock:

Return to “BEARS”