PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

sybil and benny in their den

Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

JBG

Re: sybil and benny in their den

Postby JBG » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:41 pm

GitaBooks wrote:Interestingly, many of the exotic pets that are being bred now originally came from zoos. Zoos, especially in the past, would breed their animals to get babies, which would in turn bring in more people, than they would sell the babies. I hear that today they sometimes just euthanize them. I can't believe they don't give them to good owners or private zoos.
Nìmwey wrote:Yes, it has become a restriction in some zoo organizations, that any member has to follow, and that is to never sell an animal to a non-member.

The one Bactrian camel breeder we have here in Sweden got his first camels from a zoo, and he had to pretty much beg (camels! A domestic livestock since 4000 years!) the zoo to let him have some. And this was over 20 years ago. It's the "holier than thou"-attitude that zoos often have, that no private individual could possibly care for animals other than cats and dogs.
As a lawyer I can speak with some authority in the matter. There are three problems that zoos would have releasing animals to private owners:

1) The animal is generally of known harmful disposition and thus any lawsuits from injuries to the public would include the zoo, a deep pocket as well as the pet owner, not always a deep pocket;

2) Animals can travel. Let's say Pennsylvania doesn't consider Bactrian Camels exotic but New York does. A legal buyer could transfer the animal to a New Yorker for whatever reason, again putting the zoo potentially in harm's way; and

3) Zoonotic diseases, or diseases harbored by wild animals to which humans have little resistance.

Were I in-house counsel for a zoo I'd be very careful about releasing any animal.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:54 pm

Those are all good points, I certainly agree with them.

I wish people wouldn't threaten to sue zoos when it was really their fault about what they did. But I guess that's just how things work sometimes.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:50 am

It's the "holier than thou"-attitude that zoos often have, that no private individual could possibly care for animals other than cats and dogs.
I totally agree with you on that. there are many zoo's that in my opinion are in too small enclosures.

Jack Hanna is in the same category as some of the zoo's. He is the one that pushed for the ban. Meantime, he flaunts a bunch of exotics he has or had on TV. Guess, him and the zoo's think they are the only ones that can take care of them.

however, on the other side, when some people buy exotics and have not done research and lack the proper care,
some of these animals suffer in too small enclosure, released to the wild or try and re-home them.
Foxes is one of the most popular animal that so many people want. Guess due to their beauty.
It upsets me when I hear some foxes were confiscated because they were illegal. icon-sad The list goes on.
basically, my point is, these people are the ones that hurt the responsible owners.

As for zoo's selling exotics, I don't think they are allowed. the only thing I ever bought from the zoo were emu's.
That was quite awhile ago. but, to sell a bear cub, foxes, raccoon's or others, I doubt any zoo would sell these to private owners. However, I can only speak for the united states.

JBG,
I can really see the reason for not allowing zoo';s to sell to the public. Not that some zoo's do a bang up job of proper care.
but, putting an animal in inexperienced hands is not fair either.
thank you for posting your knowledge on that.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “BEARS”