Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Tervicz

A tame grizzly bear?

Postby Tervicz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:17 pm

Wolf67

Re: A tame grizzly bear?

Postby Wolf67 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Yeah there are a few tame Grizzlies that I know of one in specifically was a Grizzly named Bart the Bear. I think he was a pretty famous Bear he played in alot of movies and was well trained and seemed like a gentle giant I believe he died in 2001 from cancer and never hurted anyone throughout his entire life.
trish_clare

A man and his bear

Postby trish_clare » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:51 am

Whatsername

Re: A man and his bear

Postby Whatsername » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:33 pm

I've seen that! They are very friendly with each other... To be honest, I would not feel comfortable doing that, but I'm sure this man knows that there are potential consequences. Either way, they seem to have a very good bond.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:29 pm

What a great video!

I wish I could know what Oprah said about that, especially considering she interviewed the lady who was attacked by the chimp and was pretty negative about exotic ownership. I find it frustrating when the media is all against exotic ownership but then run a story like this where a person has an amazing bond with an exotic and gush about how 'amazing' and 'miraculous' it is. Then they turn around again and condemn exotic ownership. I find it to be one of the biggest double standards.
JBG

Postby JBG » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:33 pm

veralidaine wrote:I find it frustrating when the media is all against exotic ownership but then run a story like this where a person has an amazing bond with an exotic and gush about how 'amazing' and 'miraculous' it is. Then they turn around again and condemn exotic ownership. I find it to be one of the biggest double standards.
It's quite frankly always a stirring story. Anyone who saw Dr. Doolittle as a child imagines a bond with all kinds of animals. Some times it makes for beautiful stories.

But sometimes it doesn't work out well, especially when the exotic animal is a multiple of the strength of a human and the animal still has some "wild" instincts kicking around. As for that grizzly I wonder if it had reached puberty at age 7. If it had he may have a lifelong bond. Otherwise he may have a very dangerous situation at some point.
JBG

Postby JBG » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 pm

Which thread on this bear (link) takes precedence?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:25 pm

JBG wrote:Which thread on this bear (link) takes precedence?

I just merged them into one. Thanks for pointing that out.
JBG

Postby JBG » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:14 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:
JBG wrote:Which thread on this bear (link) takes precedence?

I just merged them into one. Thanks for pointing that out.
You''re welcome.

But I do wish there were a few more substantive comments to my post.
Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:39 am

From what I've read of that particular bear it was a lifelong bond. He had had him for eight or nine years already and knew how long a grizzly tends to live in captivity. I think it's not so much the 'danger' of the animal as the lack of knowledge of the handler that turns a situation dangerous. Even dogs still have wild instincts kicking around in them, as do several species of cat. Even though the animal is larger, and could technically do more damage in many ways all animals (within reason) have the potential to do harm.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
JBG

Postby JBG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:11 am

Nova wrote:From what I've read of that particular bear it was a lifelong bond. He had had him for eight or nine years already and knew how long a grizzly tends to live in captivity. I think it's not so much the 'danger' of the animal as the lack of knowledge of the handler that turns a situation dangerous. Even dogs still have wild instincts kicking around in them, as do several species of cat. Even though the animal is larger, and could technically do more damage in many ways all animals (within reason) have the potential to do harm.
But does puberty cause changes, as it may have with "Travis", the Stamford chimpanzee?
Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:55 pm

From what I know with bears (which is basically not much) the aggression comes during the months leading up to hibernate. This bear doesn't hibernate and is fed a whole bunch so he never feels the need to. So no, he would not deal with the same huge hormonal changes. Also, there have been several chimps who didn't react like Travis did, some chimps (like humans) have higher testosterone levels which will often cause a much more aggressive behavior. Also with some monkeys (I'll have to go research on chimps but I know this is true with many primates) they go through an adolescent stage where they feel the need to prove themselves. To test the boundaries and force issues. It's almost like the teenage years for a humans, and this also could have been what effected his behavior so strongly. Since bear's are solitary animals the need to fight for an alpha position is not coded in them, and with him never feeling the need to set up territory or provide for himself he feels no need to defend the area around him.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:36 am

The guy and bear in the video is Casey Anderson and Brutus from the show on Nat Geo Wild. Right?
Now I can't remember what that show is called. I watch it ocassionally. It's about him raising Brutus along with him interacting with various other wildlife. There was one I saw a commercial for where he interacted with a pack of wolves and they were licking him on the face to greet him,but I missed that episode. :( I saw the one where he visited Alaska to watch the wild Kodiak bears though. I remember on the show Casey saying that Brutus is a wild rescue. His mother was killed by a hunter and Casey found him orphaned and took him in and I guess didn't have the heart to part with him by raising him to be rereleased.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “BEARS”