Giant Panda

Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Giant Panda

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:33 pm

So giant pandas are doing very well in captivity, and the conservation efforts are getting better and better. There are enough breeding pairs that it may soon actually achieve a "vulnerable" status on IUCN. That day will be a long ways down the road though, since there really is not much wild for pandas to go to.

It's going to be a long while before giant pandas are moved off the endangered species list. But if they were, do you think China would even export/sell them? It bothers me how they are considered such a national symbol and that no other entity in other countries is allowed to own them. Personally, I think China would keep the pandas to themselves. It irks me that even babies born in US zoos are still the property of China.

They're neat animals of course, and I just think it would be cool for zoos over here to participate in conservation efforts too. I don't dream of ever owning one, but the fact that they are ONLY the property of China bothers me a lot.

So what do you think? If they ever reached vulnerable status, do you think that China would actually sell them or gift them again?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Nova

Re: Giant Panda

Postby Nova » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:08 pm

So long as they remain so loved and in the eye of the world, no. China likes the publicity they gain them as well as how they can use the world love for Pandas for their own ends. It's also that they have quickly become an icon to them, and it's hard to imagine that going away any time soon. Though if the world were to move away from this desperate attempt to save them and all the publicity that provides I think it could, though it would be quite a ways into the future. I imagine that it would take a lot of time and water under the bridge. . .however with the encroachment of the wild areas in China continue with the industrial revolution going on there I think in a way it is a good thing. China is using the Panda as a large reason to preserve certain areas so that they remain untouched. Without this need to protect this particular species I think it would be very difficult to keep these areas protected. The Chinese people being so determined to protect it is helping them maintain some of their natural areas while they go through this technological renaissance.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Giant Panda

Postby Ash » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:46 pm

That's what I think too. They used to gift them to zoos, but then they stopped.

I'm glad there are enough red pandas out there that they aren't impossible to obtain--well, they are almost impossible to get, but there are a lot of them outside of China.

If they weren't CITES I, I think red pandas would be "easier" to get.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “BEARS”