PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What are Kodiak Bears?

Black Bears,Brown bears, Grizzlies etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

What are Kodiak Bears?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:08 am

I've been told numerous times that they're the biggest Bears in the world. Is that true?
egroegart

Re: What are Kodiak Bears?

Postby egroegart » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:31 am

I believe that the polar bear is the largest that is in existence today. The Kodiak is not that far behind though.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:03 pm

Kodiak and polar bears are about the same size.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:49 pm

A kodiak is a subspecies of Brown Bear that lives in Alaska. It's closely related to the grizzly bear(another subspecies of Brown Bear that lives in North America mostly in Yellowstone national park). The kodiak is the largest Brown Bear subpsecies,but the Polar Bear is the largest bear species and the largest land mammal on earth.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Well Polar bear males can reach around to 1,500 pounds and Kodiak males can reach around 1,500 pounds.

The largest recorded polar bear was a male that was over 12 feet tall and weighed over 2210 pounds.

The largest wild Kodiak bear on record weighed 2500 pounds according to the great bear almanac.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:53 pm

caninesrock wrote:The kodiak is the largest Brown Bear subpsecies,but the Polar Bear is the largest bear species and the largest land mammal on earth.

I believe elephants are land mammals.... :egeek:
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:02 pm

LOL, yes elephants are the largest land mammal. There is a pretty big debate over which bear is the largest. A lot of people say polar bears and a lot of people say the Kodiak. Tamadua is right the largest recorded is the Kodiak but I have read that polar bears average a higher weight than kodiaks. But basically they can reach the same weight. So they are pretty close in size.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:41 pm

vln_girl wrote:
caninesrock wrote:The kodiak is the largest Brown Bear subpsecies,but the Polar Bear is the largest bear species and the largest land mammal on earth.

Oh. My bad. I made a typo. I meant to say largest land carnivore on earth. I remember now that I read they were the largest carnivores on earth some where. And yes, elephants are much bigger. Lol. XD
:red-face:
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:12 pm

LOL yeh I thought so! XD
Elina

Postby Elina » Tue May 01, 2012 1:01 pm

vln_girl wrote:

Hehe I was thinking that too :lol: . Reminded me of in Audrey's children's fennec book where it said "All mammals have fur." . . . What's a dolphin (among other non fury mammals) then? :lol:
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!

Return to “BEARS”