ESA question

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

SFig

ESA question

Postby SFig » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Hey guys. So, my husband and I have varying degrees of PTSD. I've been thinking of trying to get our middle cat, Marco, prescribed as an emotional support animal but the VA doesn't normally do those. Any suggestions?
Matt and Sam, owners of Batman (tuxedo cat), Marco (American Short Hair cat), and Bear (Bi-color Long hair cat)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ESA question

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:59 pm

You need a psychiatrist/DR to sign off on it so if the Va one wont maybe you could save and go to one who would or maybe just finding the right Va DR would if you could use another.

This makes it sound like the issue is the VA would pay for an animals care if they prescribed it so maybe that's why they wont since they say it's unproven still. So if someone else prescribes it then they wouldn't have the funding issue. https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatmen ... d_ptsd.asp
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SFig

Postby SFig » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:23 am

Thank you, that does help. I'm off for part of Monday so I'll call out to some of the doctors in town who have met Matt and have seen him and Marco around town.
Matt and Sam, owners of Batman (tuxedo cat), Marco (American Short Hair cat), and Bear (Bi-color Long hair cat)
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:38 am

What are your intentions for having one of your cats be your ESA? Like what would you use that ESA prescription for that you can't do now. You can only have one animal registered, I believe. You'd be able to take him on flights and only he (not your other animals) would not be denied should a landlord decide they do not want pets on their property (if you rent).
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
SFig

Postby SFig » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:58 am

The only thing we would be using it for would be flights and hotels for the rare trip to california. Other than that, we usually recognize when the other half is uncomfortable in public and needs to go home for 'medicinal cat hug' time.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:19 pm

Does ESA cert. give rights to animals for hotels that don't allow pets?
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:29 pm

No hotels do not fall under FHA so are not protected for ESAs. It might be possible CA has protections but I don't know sometimes states give more protection than federal, you'd have to check or ask the hotel if they allow ESAs as they may choose to.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SFig

Postby SFig » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:12 pm

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you guys
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:18 pm

You're welcome

Since some businesses choose to allow ESAs having it be official could still be beneficial. You would just have to ask and make plans before booking the hotel since the federal law doesn't make them accept ESAs.
---
Mary

SFig

Postby SFig » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:06 am

True. I can't get him to go for the full training of a service dog yet, but I'm going to try
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:40 am

Only dogs and miniature horses can be service animals, under the ADA.
SFig

Postby SFig » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:47 am

I know, we were planning on applying for training for a dog for him and seeing if my coworker at PetSmart can help train, but once we get a house and aren't stuck in apartments.

Return to “Domestic Cats”