New Recruit! No name yet, any suggestions?

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kagney

New Recruit! No name yet, any suggestions?

Postby Kagney » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:42 am

Well, we'd been kicking around the idea for a while, and yesterday decided to take the plunge and bring home another kitten.
In a household with two dogs and a coon, we knew we had to start young, and hope we made a good choice for personality... I think we have a winner!

This little dude (as yet unnamed) is such a perfect little spitfire angel. He turned 8 weeks on Tuesday, and although he had never before been away from his mom or litter mates, he didn't seem the least bit upset about it.

I found a local ad yesterday morning, and took an hour off work to go see the litter. Four beautiful babies that all looked exactly alike. The family that was fostering them was amazing. They breed bassets also, and really know how to care for the little ones. The teenage daughter was taking care of the kittens and did a FANTASTIC job socializing them. They explained that they found the mother in a dumpster at a local car wash, in terrible shape and ready to pop with kittens. She had the babies a few days after they got her home. She was a great mom, and she's unbelievably lucky to have crossed paths with this family.

Since it was around noon, I brought the little man back to the office with me, and he was passed around, loved, cuddled, and fawned over all afternoon. The GM suggested that I shouldn't leave him alone for the first week, and just bring him back to work with me during the day, lol. I didn't, of course, but I love that this is the reality of my work environment. :lol:

Got him home last night and intros went pretty smooth. He's somewhat intimidated by the dogs as they're so much bigger than him, but he'll come around in time. He's already strutting all over the place like he owns it.

He was really confused by Giz. Its like he thought she might be some sort of mutant cat. He spent a lot of time watching her, but let her sniff him and vice versa. He was cracking me up... getting attention from me, he would get carried away and give her a lovey head bump. When she stopped and looked at him like "seriously?" he'd take a step back and hiss at her. This happened multiple times, and every time Giz would look at me like "Uh, Mom, did you have to pick a derpy one?" :lol:

Anyways, little dude still needs a name. I'm usually pretty good with names, but this one just hasn't come to me yet. He's soooo sweet, a real lover boy (and most likely going to be a blue-eyed pretty-boy his whole life too) but he's also a playful, fearless, feisty little scamp. Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GitaBooks

Re: New Recruit! No name yet, any suggestions?

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Gorgeous! He is so adorable!!!

I'm so glad you got a rescue kitty and that the family had raised them so well. We are fostering kittens right now that were in a dumpster so I know what that's like.
I'm glad he is getting along with the family.

Some names I like (though in the end it will be whatever fits him best for you) are: Shasta, Bowan, Paradox, Cliche, Shenanigan, Dare, Rumor, and Xander.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Very cute.

I took a photo of an adult like that but it didn't cooperate with getting a shot of the eyes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/34164027434/
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:15 pm

What a beautiful kitten!

I'd give him some kind of celestial name; he really does look like an angel!
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:56 pm

He's so cute. In going with celestial names like Juska suggested, how about Raphael (sp?), Michael, Michael-Angel-o ( pun on Michael Angelo, or you know, just the actual Micheal-Anglo name), Halo,Moon, Moon Beam, Moonlight, Twilight, or for his color, Snowball, Snowy, Snowfall, Snowdrop, Snowflake, Mist, Dew, Fog, Foggy, Cloud, Cloudy
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:41 am

He looks like a warrior to me, I'd probably go with Ivarr or Alexei. :D
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:49 am

Thank you all for the kind words and name suggestions!

Well, part of the deal about him coming home was that my hub got to have final say on the name. For the first few days since we hadn't chosen a name, we were calling him "little dude" and eventually a moment of inspiration struck... we went with Lebowski so that he can continue to be "The Dude". :lol: We've just been calling him Bowski for the most part, and although its not the perfect fit, I think it works.

He's been doing really great. When I brought him home, even at 8 weeks, he was still nursing and really reluctant to eat solid food for the first few days. I bought some formula to soak his food, and it did the trick. In a week, he's turned into a little bottomless pit.

He's getting along great with a whole gang now. He and Giz started playing together earlier this week, and already they are bonding. It amazes me how intuitive she is. She's so careful not to actually bite him even though she'll "mouth" at him constantly while they're playing. (That, and sit on him :lol:) Its so funny though, every time I think they may be getting carried away, and I separate them, he comes running back to her for more. We've been keeping a VERY close eye on them while they're together, and he still has to stay in the bathroom during the day while we're at work. Better safe than sorry.

Overall, he's fitting right it. Couldn't be happier. :mrgreen:
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:05 pm

That's awesome! I like the name. Sometimes it may not seem like a perfect fit, but it always seems to grow on you. Our cat was named Nym and then turned out to be a dude. It still fits him, even though he's a mean, grumpy male cat. Somehow it works. : )

Return to “Domestic Cats”