ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

need maine coon cat info

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

need maine coon cat info

Postby pat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:55 am

a friend of a friend gave me a maine coon cat the other day. the owners could not keep it, because they are allergic to it.
(mostly because of the long hair)

I am slowly trying to introduce him to myself, and my other animals. for now I keep him in one room so I don't overwhelm him
with all the rooms I have. my problem, is it is hard for me to spend the time with him right now that he needs right now.
I put sammy my white cat in the room with him sometimes, but, the new cat is not interested.
he hides most of time :icon-frown: but, is starting to come out when he sees me, and wants petted.
(guess that is good)

he is very shy, but slowly coming around. the previous owners said, he was always shy with anyone other than the family.

I have read these type of cats are prone to heart problems and their life span is generally 10 years :shrug:
(he is 2 years old now)

if anyone can give me more info about these type of cats, I would much appreciate it.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Re: need maine coon cat info

Postby Juska » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:49 pm

This Foster and Smith article seems to have plenty of info. It also lists hip dysplasia and cardiomyopathy (disease of the heart muscles) as common health concerns for the breed.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=2025
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 pm

thank you Juska for that link.

I was looking a little last night and found a little different info.
some seem to have got a little dramatic, like bathing them once a week.

the previous owners was feeding him purina one indoor. I think I will get some grain-free cat food for him.

he is slowly adjusting here. he loves lucy (my beagle) but still afraid of my two coonhounds icon-sad
it will just take time.

he is still in one room, and did start to venture out a little. which is good.
I am just worried that later, he might try using the doggie door I have.
that is my biggest concern. I can put him in a room at night so he don't figure it out during the night.

they do sound like nice cats. I will have to get him some toys. my other cats prefer playing outside,
so I don't have many cat toys.

thank you again for the link, I really appreciate it.

kiranachan

Postby kiranachan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:49 am

I have a happy 10 year old Maine Coon who still as spry as a kitten (actually he still plays with my year old cat like a youngster). To be honest out of my three cats he's my favorite and since I've had him the longest, I have the most info on him.

I have noticed that my boy is shy to new humans as well, and always has been. However he always warms up to people after living with, or seeing them often. I would say not to take it personally or to worry to much. Just treat him like any other animal that you need to gain the trust of. Don't try to force love on him, spend time near him and talk in soft tones. If you can let him sleep in the same room as you. Maine coons love to cuddle and hide under blankets.

For food, I've tried many different foods and my cat's favorite easily obtainable food is purina that my vet suggested along with occasional treats of cooked fish or chicken or broths that they've cooked in. He loves it all and it keeps him looking happy and healthy. I have noticed out of my three cats that he does have an obsession for fresh water. He wants it changed 2-3 times a day if he can get anyone to do it, unless he has a water fountain bowl. He's actually vocal for it. I mean every morning he'll hop on my bed and pat my face for breakfast, but he'll sit by the water bowl any time a person he knows enters the kitchen and tell them about it.

As for illnesses I've never had to take him to the vet for anything other than normal shots and for hairball control. He is a very clean cat that can be obsessive with having a well groomed coat. I would suggest brushing your Coon cat as much as he'll let you, with the very minimum using your own hand as a brush to help get out that under coat. It is not a fun thing to clean up hair balls, and I'm sure it's no fun for the cat to make them.

As a side note, I did look at the link provided by Juska, and I don't agree with everything on it. My Coon cat is very vocal and very clear with his demands. If he wants something he will run up to you and get your attention with purrs and head buts then walk away in the direction of what he wants, then returns and does the purs and head buts and leaves until you follow him. He'll then sit down by what ever he wants and meow. If you ignore him and he feels like it's very important he'll throw a fit over it until someone breaks down. He is very head strong, but lucky for him I'm stronger willed, and broke him of this habit for the most part. However when he wants to play he'll pick up his toy and bring it to you and meow with it in his mouth. He'll also do a very nasty sounding meow when he's hurt or not feeling well, or just generally upset.

While they are right that Coon cats act like kittens their whole life and do like to follow you around more than actually play with you, they do love pets and cuddles. They are highly intelligent cats, out of my 3 cats he is the only one that knows how to push your buttons to get what he wants. He is the only one that has ever thought to reach behind the computer screen to get the pointer on the screen. He knows how to open doors with push latches, he'd have knobs too if he had thumbs. I've seen him trying to turn door knobs before, he just can't get a grip on them. He's also taught all my other animals the rules of the house, and enforces them for me most time (he's never hurt any of my other animals, but he makes them behave it's funny and hard to explain to someone who hasn't seen it.)
I guess for example I would use him and my kitten, she was picking on him so he laid on her, and started cleaning her, which she hates.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:03 am

kiranachan

appreciate the info. your cats are gorgeous. the front 2 look like maine coons?
I believe some are different colors?

all three are so pretty. what kind is the one that is blonde?

your maine coon sounds like a real intelligent one and quite the personality. maybe a little spoiled too :lol:
thats funny how he has to have his water changed 3 times a day :lol: . maybe he likes cold water?
did you try putting ice cubes in his water?

what does the vet do for hair ball control? there use to be some type of paste to put on their paw
so they lick it. does this still work? or should I get something from the vet?

I don't have a brush. I use a stainless steel comb. which he seems fine with. all my other animals love it.
seems to work better than a brush.

the previous owner told me the fur needs cut near their private are. this I don't look forward to.

Mikie has made a big change since my first post. he no longer stays in one room. he goes everywhere in the house.
He is a bit bosey with my other cats though :roll: except for sammy my white cat. he is fine with him.
he likes all my dogs now and sometimes sleeps with them. he loves attention and I know what you mean about following.
he follows me around sometimes.

I have a doggie door in the living that goes into an outdoor pen. I always worried about him getting out.
but, overall, he stays in the house. but, sometimes he does go outside, but, don't leave the pen.
(hope that don't change)

another question, does their fur get longer in the winter? I always thought their fur was longer than what his is.
a friend of mine has a maine coon, his fur seemed really long. but, it was awhile ago since I seen him.

again, thank you for sharing your experience with your cats. also, I love the picture of your babies.
they are so pretty and they look happy..

here is a picture of mikie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kiranachan

Postby kiranachan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:36 am

My ginger cat, Tigger is the only Maine coon of the bunch, Oro the large grey is a stray cat. No one knows what his blood is, but her turned out huge. Fizzgig the midget is also a stray with little known about her bloodline. All I know is that Oro is Freakishly large for an amarican short hair (if that's what he is) at 25lbs healthy weight. I'm not sure if Fizzgig is proper sized or not, I feel like she's abnormally short, but then compared to the boys she looks like a kitten to me. I'll know next month at her 1 year old vet exam next month.

Yeah Tig is to intelligent for his own good sometimes and definitely spoiled. When we were both younger we lived with my grandparents, and they treated him like the prince he knows he is. I have tried icecubes too, it really is just that the water isn't fresh enough for him. If I left a plate in the sink with dripping water he'd worship it. My grandparents did that for him when we last visited and he wouldn't get out of the skin :roll:

The paste does work if your cat will eat it. My two greys love the stuff and will eat it right from the tube. However Tigger wont touch it. I tried smearing it on his paw, because he hates being dirty...but he hated it so much he left it there for days until I finally gave up and cleaned it myself. I'm pretty much down to tricking him into eating anti hair ball treats and keeping him brushed/combed. Also it doesn't really matter if it's a brush or a comb, as long as you're gentle and persistent with it.

Also I'm glad to hear he's opened up more. I know some cats take longer than others, and it looks like you've got an adventuresome boy. I'd watch him in the pen though. I know Tigger use to go outside the house and sit on my porch and he did that for years (about 4-5 years actually), then one day he saw a rabbit cross the yard like they did all the time and he just decided that was the day and brought home the rabbit. After that he'd go off the porch, however he'd never leave for a full day, only long enough to bring home a gift. Up until that day he'd never even hunted anything until he was about 6...Turns out he's a great hunter.

Their fur can get a little longer in the winter but not much, mostly it just gets thicker, and fluffier. Tigger's fur is long enough to run your fingers though and lose them a bit pretty much year round. As for cutting it, I've never done that, not even the hygenic cut. I find Tigger keeps himself and the others clean. He'll even try to clean me if he thinks I'm to dirty. I'd say watch Mikie, if he's keeping himself clean let him be, if he's having trouble then consider it. Yes Occasionally poo will stick to the hair near their rear, however in my 10 years with Tig I can only ever remember it happening twice.

Mikie is a pretty boy, and he looks like a Coon cat should. Short facial hair with ear poofs and what appears to be long body hair. He may just have shorter hair than most? I know most breeds have a little variation, hard to tell from a picture, but either way he is pretty.

And I'm sure if you give him time you might even find them humorous X3
I've talked to many other Coon kitty owners and most of them, like me, find them to be silly and surprisingly intelligent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:37 am

sorry for taking so long to reply. please bare with me. I have alot going on icon-sad

I got confused with your cats. the blonde one is the maine coon?
the cat in front looked like a maine coon. but, I don't know much about cats, all the ones I have or had are generic :lol:

the cat in the middle is really small, I thought he was a kitten. all are so beautiful.
I love their markings.

the blonde one is really personable. what a character. I know how easy it is to spoil our babies. all mine are spoiled, maybe not quite as much as yours :lol:

Mikie is doing good. he has completely adjusted and at home. once in while, he will get dominant. with a few of my other cats. not real bad though. Mikie has such a personality. at night, we walks up and down the hall talking to himself :lol:
he loves catnip.

one thing that annoys me, is when he jumps on the tables or counter. any ideas how to break them of this?
that and mikey and sammy(my white cat) seem to love to sit on my computer desk in front of my monitor, just so I can't see the screen :roll:

my sister said, she uses tin foil on the table, and that worked. I tried it, they mine didn't care about it and had no effect.

thanks again for the info and picture, much appreciated

Return to “Domestic Cats”