PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

In-Heat Crazies?

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

kiranachan

In-Heat Crazies?

Postby kiranachan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:51 pm

So I've had my kitten (getting close to a 2 year old, but I still call her kitten) since she was just a few weeks old. I found her under a trashcan with her sibling, and found her mother wasn't nursing either of them. I've worked very hard with her, turning her from a very food protective feral cat to a loving house cat. She has known little other life then living as an indoor cat, with two big brothers, however when she goes into heat she acts like she's bi-poler.

Tonight when I came home and let my big orange tom cat inside (somehow he had escaped my house) she immediately attacked him. Chasing him up my couch, over my coffee table and under my antique desk. Where she began to try and bite the heck out of him. My husband grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and she melted into his arms as if nothing happened. I picked up my boy and moved him to our bedroom. Neither are hurt, since she's so small compared to him, and he just let her take out her anger (he's really mellow like that) most she got was a mouth of loose fur.

We've let her down to walk the house, and she's cuddling up to us and purring and making the mating meow. However when ever she goes near our bedroom she growls at the door. If I try to go up to the door she growls at the door then comes over to me and rubs me, then back to the door growling. If I reach for her to take her away from the door, she flops over and exposes her belly in a very submissive pose and nuzzles my hand if I move it close to her.

I really don't know what to do since this is a new one for me. Honestly she's my first female cat (not counting my indoor/outdoor cat I had when I was very young) and I'm not use to any of this strange behavior. I've had at least 5 males before getting her and none have ever been nutty like this. Is there anyone that can tell me what might be going on with her. Maybe some cat language she's trying to convey that I don't know because I haven't learned female cat?

And for those wondering my Male cats are just acting really mellow, near normal about the whole thing. They are both fixed, and while they have a slight interest in her, they pretty much ignore her "problem". Even after being attacked my orange boy is just chilling on my bed, enjoying his alone time.
Juska

Re: In-Heat Crazies?

Postby Juska » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Get her spayed. Then you'll know what's causing it.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:28 pm

I have to agree with Juska. If she's acting crazy because she's in heat, get her spayed. Even if your boys are fixed, that won't prevent future problems between them if she continues this behavior. If something happens that one of your big males decides to not "take it lying down" next time, she could really get hurt, picking a fight like that.
kiranachan

Postby kiranachan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:19 am

I'm not worried about her getting hurt really. The only one I'd worry about hurting her can't really (he's been declawed and all that nasty stuff icon_confused.gif ). Honestly my orange tom is a good guy, he knows how to handle her, and is crazy good with young animals beating up on him. I know if she were honestly bothering him he'd come and sit with me (which all the animals consider neutral ground, where no fighting is aloud) or he'd lay on her, I've seen him do it before, multiple times.

I'm just curious after 2 years what would cause her to randomly attack her best buddy.
As you can see from the pictures I have below, they are hard to find apart from one another normally.
Plus this isn't her first in-heat cycle, and she's never acted like this before, where she's attacked either of the boys. Normally she crawls up in her cubby and just mews her little head off for a few days.

You go to her cubby and she purs, hisses and mews, like she can't decide which she should be doing. However she doesn't pull back her ears, bare her teeth or really show any other aggressive behavior unless you really go out of your way to harass her (then she gives the normal reaction for a harassed cat).
It's not abnormal for her to act weird around this time but normally she gets more loving then randomly disinterested with anything to do with you rather than attacking and then loving on the closest human.

I have been wanting to get her spayed since day one, but money and time never seem to hit at the same time. Since she's the type to hop and clime regardless of what you want her to do, I wanted to do it when I could stay home and monitor her more or have her in a room where there is little to jump on/from. We've been moving a lot in the past year so that's part of the no time/no money problem as well. In the past year we've lived in 4 different places, however I don't think that is the problem either, as we've been in this location for about 6 months now, and she seems to love this place more than all the other previous places combined (which is great because we plan on staying here for a while).

Also as an update, I've let my tom out of our room and now she's just hiding and growling when ever she sees him. Which isn't normal for her (even during her previous heats). She isn't attacking and he isn't trying to go near her or bother her. I can't really keep them locked away from each other all night as their litter boxes are in the utility room. It's been almost 3 hours of him being out, 4 hours from the attack, and she is still angry. It's not really her personality to stay angry this long at anything.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:09 am

He probably has the scent of some other cat or something on him since he was outside. Give him a bath.
kiranachan

Postby kiranachan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:59 pm

That seems possible, I've been told that cat's eyes aren't really that great for identifying people/other cats and they mostly do it by smell. So if he smelled like another cat, I could see why she would be upset.

Anyways, after a night and half a day spent in the bathroom alone, she's acting as if nothing happened between them and he's acting normal as well. She's still in heat, and doing as she would normally. I'll update the thread if she reverts.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:53 am

I would have to say it her in heat. some females change drastically when they go in heat.
not sure how often they go into heat.

I really recommend getting her fixed. there should be some low cost spay/neurter shelters.

some unspayed females, get really nuts during heat season.the older they get, the worse it could be.

one of my male outside cats, that was very afraid of me. I made the mistake of waiting too long to get him fixed.
(2 or 3 years) a short while after I got him fixed, his personality changed completely. now, he can't get enough attention.

my tan cat, I did the same thing, waited too long. that one marks in the house sometimes. that is annoying.

I agree with juska and sara, getting her spayed will most likely help.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “Domestic Cats”