ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Terrible Stink!

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Neofelis

Terrible Stink!

Postby Neofelis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:24 am

Hello everybody. I found a 5 month old kitten on the street about a month ago and took him in permanently when we couldn't find his owners back. He is amazingly friendly and over-confident, extremely smart compared to the other cats, and also ridiculously athletic. His favorite place to hang out requires a 54 inch vertical leap to reach.

Anyway, though, from the first moment I picked him up I noticed a terrible odor. We had him neutered weeks ago and he is kept very clean inside, but the odor never went away. I have never had a cat that smelled bad, and he smells TERRIBLE, not very unlike poop (again, he is very clean and has no poop actually on his body). I wouldn't mind so much except that he loves to sleep by my head at night -.-

Any ideas why this little guy might stink so much? :lol:

EDIT to add that I'd love name suggestions!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Juska

Re: Terrible Stink!

Postby Juska » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:32 am

Have you or your vet checked his anal glands?

If it smells like poop, that's probably what it is. He might not be able to express them himself, or he might have a blockage which is causing buildup and thus odor. Not sure if you've had to deal with that before. Being a groomer, I've expressed plenty of them on dogs, but it can happen in cats, too. Usually it's recommended not to do it because once you start, they'll stop doing it on their own sometimes; but if it's already a problem, you will probably have to learn how.

Ear and skin infections, and some other diseases, can make them smell, too.

But since you're describing a feces-like odor, my guess is anal glands.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:14 am

Thanks for the reply. If it were anal glands, wouldn't it smell just around the anal area though? He smells all over, and it seems to come from his fur.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Does he clean himself like a normal cat does? Or have you give him a bath?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:32 pm

The smell can permeate the air around the animal. Sometimes an animal with full glands will drag their butt on the floor to help alleviate it, which can then be rolled in as well.

Like I said, it's just a theory, you should probably ask a vet. Have his skin checked. If you really believe it's coming from his fur, he might have something wrong with his skin or something underneath that you can't see going on.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!

Return to “Domestic Cats”