please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Diarrhea Problems!

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BlueBaby1023

Diarrhea Problems!

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:35 pm

My kitty, as you can see in my picture, is queen of the house. She's been having a bit of trouble lately, and I'm kinda at my wit's end about it. Since I returned from winter break (when a friend was watching her), she's had persistent diarrhea. It's been that way for over a month now. She's seen the vet three times in the last few weeks.

The first time, she turned up positive for Campylobacter and was on Erythromycin for that. The second time, she still had diarrhea but no longer had the Campy, so the vet put her on a second round of antibiotics, Metranidizole, for safe measure.

While on the Met, she improved to normal poop for a few days, but a couple days after ending the 7 day treatment, she's now back to almost liquid stool.

I took her back to my vet today, and he is just as puzzled as I am. He's put her on prescription probiotics for now, and suggested I switch her to a grain-free diet for the time being, which I was in the process of doing anyways. He also would like to run an expensive test to basically DNA test her stool for all possible worms and bacteria, which I'm waiting on to see if the probiotics help (as well as reimbursement for my first three visits from my pet insurance company...) for obvious reasons.

Despite the diarrhea, she is active, eating, drinking, playing, etc. In fact, she has not lost weight, but gained weight in the last three weeks! About a half pound, which is significant for a 10lb cat!

Just wondering if anyone else has run into problems like this, or if anyone has any suggestions.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Diarrhea Problems!

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:29 am

Betonite clay. It doesn't take much. Aurora had loose poop after her baby and it would not firm up even with being wormed and tested for intestinal boogies and not finding anything. I use a bit of betonite clay in her food for awhile and it fixed her right up and then didn't even need it after that. I think she wa son it just like a week or two. You can get it online or at a wine making shop. I put a tablespoon in a container of food which lasts her a few day so like a tsp and she's around 17 pounds so maybe half a teaspoon a day I'm guessing would work on a cat. Too much could cause constipation so you could start with just a pinch and work up to be safe.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:02 am

I will have to give that a try! Tomorrow I'm going to pick up Nature's Variety LID Duck canned food and dry Rabbit food because that has some good reviews online from cat IBD groups, so I'll add it to her food. I was also told to try raw, but it's so expensive especially considering I have a second cat who is healthy as a horse. :/
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:29 am

Depending on the cat it can also be very hard to convert them to raw so I'd be reluctant to mess with that change with a cat that's already having issues. I'm sure it is better for them but Jake just gets dry and canned but he's also not really my cat but my dad's cat(I'm stuck with his vet bill though, lol).
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:41 am

I don't know about my cat who isn't having issues, but Rachel is a bit of a food hound who would likely eat just about anything. She begs for any dairy/meat products that I have, so I doubt she'd have trouble going to raw. Again, I'm more put off by the price than the switching over. Alex (my other cat) doesn't seem to be picky, but I'm not sure I want to even try at this point because I'm already having to change their kibble and introducing regular canned food.

As for the vet bill, I completely understand. Rachel's bills have totaled over $500 in three weeks worth of basically no results for a seemingly simple problem. :(
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Funny enough TG, I went exploring for LID foods today to start her off on, and Nature's Variety Instinct Duck Canned LID has the clay as the fourth ingredient on the list, just behind duck, duck liver, and peas. Hopefully it has enough to start getting her back to normal while I wait on what I ordered from Amazon to start getting her back onto dry. :)
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:14 pm

That's good they have it in the food. It's a good brand.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:35 pm

It seems like it. I picked up a bag of their Rabbit formula for my other cat to try while trying to wean her back onto a food she can actually digest. Hopefully between LID, probiotics, and the clay I can get her cleared up soon! :)
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:48 pm

Well, after the snow storm I received the clay (finally!), so she's been on it for about 8-10 days now but with little improvement. In fact, now my other cat Alex and my dog Stella have had bouts of off and on diarrhea. I had everyone retested for Campy, to no avail. They're all on Panacur, probiotics, and the clay, and the cats are now on LID and canned pumpkin.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I'm just so confused and worried. They're all acting normal other than the off and on diarrhea which is the worst in Rachel. :icon-frown:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Was she tested specifically for coccidia and giardia? They are not always caught on a standard fecal. They also do not always respond to a single round of treatment.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:46 pm

Yea, she was tested and came back negative for both. She has no apparent intestinal bugs that can be found. The only fecal test she hasn't had is a CPR, but it's spendy ($250), and at this point my vet said it wasn't really necessary because it will likely come back negative as well so I'm hesitant to spend that much when they don't think it will help anything at all.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes