PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Marco Issues

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

SFig

Marco Issues

Postby SFig » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:15 pm

Our middle cat, Marco is having issues digesting his food.

We give our cats a can of wet food in the morning. Kibble is available through the day. Marco is the only one who bolts down his food like he hasn't seen it in his life. A few hours will go by, and it'll all come back out, sometimes partially digested, sometimes not.

We thought getting him a slow-feeder would work, but now he's using his paw as a shovel to get as much food as he can, with pretty much the same results.

I don't want him to get more sick and seriously harm his body more than he already has, and we only have one vet in the county (who works 8-1).

Would anyone here have any suggestions on how to help him out? I don't want to have to force-feed him, since he has a balance problem and hates being off the ground, but if it'll help, I will.
Matt and Sam, owners of Batman (tuxedo cat), Marco (American Short Hair cat), and Bear (Bi-color Long hair cat)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Marco Issues

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:46 am

Change the type of food. Jake was spitting up whole kibble before but we switched to a better brand and no more.

If trying a few better brands doesn't do it you may need to do an illumination diet. Start with just one protein source and then if that works start adding things back in. But first have a blood test just to rule out health issues.
SFig

Postby SFig » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Ok, thank you. We'll do that. We only have one pet store in the county and it's been interesting trying to get Marco to get in the car to go to the vet. The other two don't mind the ride or the place. I'll get him an appointment for next week since I have to work mornings this week.
Matt and Sam, owners of Batman (tuxedo cat), Marco (American Short Hair cat), and Bear (Bi-color Long hair cat)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:17 am

Have a crate? A cardboard box? If worst comes to worst you can stuff him in a sack then let him go in the car.
SFig

Postby SFig » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Hahaha! That's great! We got him a bag of kibble and natural cat food (I forgot the brand, I'll have to go look) and we but hot water over the kibble and let it cool off enough so he could eat it. He doesn't bolt it down for now, since it still looks like kibble, but he does it it, and hasn't had an issue since. We do have an appointment with the vet next week, so we'll see what he says.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:50 pm

SFig wrote:Hahaha! That's great! We got him a bag of kibble and natural cat food (I forgot the brand, I'll have to go look) and we but hot water over the kibble and let it cool off enough so he could eat it. He doesn't bolt it down for now, since it still looks like kibble, but he does it it, and hasn't had an issue since. We do have an appointment with the vet next week, so we'll see what he says.

That's good the new food and method of feeding is working for him so far.

Return to “Domestic Cats”