PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Issues brought on by UTI/FLUTD

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Crafty

Issues brought on by UTI/FLUTD

Postby Crafty » Mon May 26, 2014 8:14 pm

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I last posted, but today I come to you with a situation I have regarding my cat.

Earlier this week I noticed that he was having trouble controlling his bladder; he ran down the stairs to my basement and left a trail of urine behind him. Concerned, I immediately called the vet and set an appointment for an in-house urinalysis. The next morning, I dropped him off at the vet to be looked at. In the afternoon, I called for an update, and was told that he had crystals in his urine, as well as a lot of red and white blood cells. The vet told me that she wanted to do an x-ray to make sure it wasn't a stone, which I agreed to. When no stone showed up, he was given a cortisone shot for inflammation, an antibiotic for infection, and then I took him home.

The next morning, I was woken up with a rude awakening because my family thought my cat was dying. He had been hiding in the basement, not moving and body cold, but still alive. I immediately called my vet on her cell phone to update her on the situation, and then rushed him back to the vet. By the time I got there, the vet wasn't even in the office yet, so the vet tech checked him in and told me she wasn't quite sure what the vet was planning on doing yet. Scared and anxiety raging, I left.

I called again for an update around noon and was told that he had a urinary obstruction. The vet said that it must have been recent because he was urinating regularly yesterday. She said they would have to put a catheter in to drain and flush out his bladder. She told me that they would first try to put the catheter in while he was awake, and then again under anesthesia if that didn't work. I was notified again about an hour later that they had been able to put the catheter in while he was awake, and had drained and flushed out his bladder a few times.

When I went to pick him up again, the vet informed me that he should be put on a prescription diet for the rest of his life, and then gave me a small bag of Royal Canin Urinary SO and a two cans of the Hill's prescription diet. I was told their prices and I immediately balked. $60 for a 17 lb bag of food filled with crap?! The food itself is terrible considering he was on Taste of the Wild before. The Royal Canin is filled with corn and other grossness!! If I am going to be paying $60 for a $17 lb bag of cat food, that better be damn good cat food!! Which the Royal Canin isn't.

I've been doing research for alternatives to the prescription diet, and stumbled across a website written by a vet that also thinks badly of the prescription diets and promotes feeding high protein, low carb, grain free wet foods:
http://www.catinfo.org/#Prescription/Therapeutic_Diets_
http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

So I went out and bought a bunch of good wet foods because Petsmart was having a sale; Simply Nourish [Source], Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Nature's Recipe... I've also been adding more water into the wet food to give Neko more fluids.

Neko was isolated in my big bathroom for the first part of the weekend, and then moved into my room, away from the other cats. Since moving into my room yesterday, I've noticed large puddles of "water" on my floor. I figured he was just spilling water from his bowl. However this morning when I woke up, I noticed there was something clear and gross dried on my floor. I immediately knew it was vomit, but I figured it was just a one-time thing.

I hung out with RabbleFox this afternoon, and when I got back, there were puddles on my floor, my bed was wet, and so was my small pile of dirty clothes. I sniffed the damp cloth of my blanket and my clothes to make sure it wasn't urine. But cat urine has a very particular smell, so I decided it wasn't urine, and that it had to be vomit of some sort. By the time I had taken the bedding off of my bed to be washed, and took them to the laundry, there was a massive puddle of this strange vomit on my floor again. I texted my vet and she told me she would call me, but she hasn't yet and I am concerned.

So I guess my questions are these: would a high protein, low carb, grain free wet cat food be a good alternative to those horrible prescription diets? And what could be cause Neko to be vomiting the clear liquid? I don't know what is going on with the vomiting, but I am very worried and its making me feel sick.

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to explain the entire situation. I would really appreciate any input.
Last edited by Crafty on Mon May 26, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Issues brought on by UTI/FLUTD

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 26, 2014 8:20 pm

The type of diet to give to prevent crystals depends on the type of crystal. More fluids and exercise helps any kind though.

The vomiting is most likely triggered by the antibiotics.
Crafty

Postby Crafty » Mon May 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Unfortunately, my vet never told me what type of crystals they were, other than the cat that he had crystals. I'll have to ask. I'm just ridiculously against the prescription diets; for the utter crap that they are, they should be cheaper.

I hope that is the case about the antibiotics :( it started happening very suddenly.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon May 26, 2014 8:45 pm

crafty,

glad to see you post again, but sorry to hear about your cat.

stay away from the hill's food. that type of food contributed to the death of one my dogs.
if anything, for now, you can try some shredded boiled chicken. also maybe little purina can cat food.

I would suggest getting a second opinion of your cats condition.

my sisters vet sent her cat home to die, after almost 1000.00 vet bill.
I suggested my vet, and they did take their cat there.

here is info on that: (mostly the last post was the outcome)
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=11801
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Most common is Struvite crystals. They can even be caused by the infection rather than diet but diet is still likely part of the cause. The main thing if that's the case is to make the urine more acidic, which isn't the case for some other types though so it's good to be sure the type.

Grain free should help Wysong also has a supplement that can help make the urine more acidic http://www.wysong.net/products/ph-dog-c ... lement.php

Nausea is a common side effect of antibiotics maybe the vet can try a different one. If it keeps up she may need fluids. A blood pannel would be good also to rule out the infection spreading to her kidneys, as then she may need IV antibiotics and fluids overnight like they did to Hyzzie.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:48 pm

I'm with you on the prescription diets; they're crap. Although my current vet is a bit more holistic, when mentioning the issues my cat had with IBD and her diet the vets at the clinic I shadow at balked at the idea that she wasn't on a GI prescription diet. She's much better off on Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit.

The puddles may well be urine, by the way. Although cat urine has a distinct smell, I've noticed cats with cystitis often have little to no smell to their urine because it's so dilute. I've seen many cats with urine the color of water.

The reason I doubt it is vomiting is because most of the time, even if not ingesting food, animals produce stomach acid and biles. So, if it were the antibiotic causing him to vomit, the liquid should be, at minimum, yellow tinted not clear. If it is vomiting, like TG suggested change the antibiotic. GI upset is incredibly common with antibiotics.

As far as wet food goes, that's probably the best thing for your cat. Way better than dry food, especially prescription diets. I tried using the Nature's Variety medallions as that vet's blog suggests, but my cats hated them. They love their wet and dry foods, though. You can also introduce even more water to the canned food by putting it in a blender and adding about 1/3 the volume of the can to it and getting it nice and mixed up (slurry-like). That will really help with water intake.

The other thing you will want to watch is his kidneys. While it may not have damaged his kidneys, the sudden issues with UTI and a blockage could have some side effects. Protein is essential for cats, but keep in mind that too much protein does overwork the kidneys so if they are already stressed due to the blockage it could be a double-whammy for them. Fat and carbs are also essential for cats, just not necessarily plant based sources (especially not grains..).

I would definitely find out exactly what crystals were in his urine. That will be the most help to you as you try out new diets.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes