ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

All of the cats!

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BlueBaby1023

All of the cats!

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:15 am

Well, the state of our apartment since moving in has improved quite a bit. We're still waiting on some furniture to arrive. But in the meantime, it has been overrun with cats. Our three plus two temporaries.

I know I mentioned one foster kitty in another thread, and she's a kitty from the local shelter who is just waiting to be fit onto the spay/neuter list. Her name is Morgan and she's a sweetheart, but a bit insane lately because she's in heat.

The other "foster" is a kitty that isn't from a shelter is a bit more complicated. About a week ago we noticed a new kitty hanging around our building. Not surprising, because these apartments are ridiculously pet friendly. But as the days went on, she stayed more and more at our front door because we were petting her and she loves when Stella goes on walks. So, we took her to the shelter and found out she has a microchip, but the previous owner was from over an hour south of here and has not returned any phone calls. :icon-frown: We're still waiting to see if he'll call back, but in the meantime she's taken up residence in our other bathroom. We've temporarily named her "Bubbles" because she's very bubbly and talkative.

Just thought I'd post a few pictures of everybody these past few days.

Rachel and Alex taking up the entire couch:

Rachel taking up an entire king size bed...

Alex being naughty, he's not supposed to be on the kitchen table even if he is in a box.

Gizmo being cute:

Alex teaching Gizmo how to take up the whole couch:

And Alex trying to squish Gizmo as I'm typing this...

Morgan, the kitty from the shelter:

And the newest indoor kitty, Bubbles:

As you can see, she really loves Stella. Stella, meanwhile, is perfecting her "I'm so abused" face at having another cat that loves her indoors. :lol:

Our apartment is bursting at the seam with cats. As much as I love fostering, I'm hoping that the shelter can fix Morgan soon and that Bubble's real owner calls back. It's getting crowded in here! And it's hard to keep everyone separate. The foster's are in our two bathrooms, Gizmo is in the spare bedroom with the little guys when we're away, and Alex and Rachel have the run of the kitchen, living, and our bedroom.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: All of the cats!

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Haha. That's a LOT of cats, lol. I think Bubbles has beautiful coloring. Hopefully you'll hear back from the owner soon. Who knows how long their cat has been missing for.

I like the picture where Alex is teaching young Gizmo. Also the one where he's squishing him. :lol:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Yes it is, especially since this apartment is only 700 SQFT! She is very beautiful, and very friendly. She would not sit still for a picture. I hope that they do call back, I'm getting worried that they just didn't want her so they dumped her. :icon-frown:

Alex is a brat to Rachel and Gizmo sometimes. He loves him but also kinda wants to squish him. :lol:

Their new cat tree came in the mail today and I finally got it up. Hopefully I'll get a picture of it up later. It's 7ft tall!

In the mean time, kitten cuddles.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:03 pm

It's been a while! Sorry for such an extended break; between biochemistry and inadvertantly working full time, it's been a little insane around here.

Just a few updates. Morgan, the foster kitty went back to the shelter and got fixed, and is now up for adoption. :mrgreen: This is my last picture of her.

Bubbles, on the other hand, did not have such luck. Despite multiple calls from both the humane society locally and the humane society she was adopted from, the original owner never called back. Although the humane society she was adopted from offered to take her back if we didn't want her, I couldn't really feel good about sending her to live in a metal cage indefinitely (it's a no kill) after she lived with us for a month. Since she got along with our cats and dog so well, she was just too cute not to stay.

Big ears!

And a new collar for the pretty girl.

Gizmo is doing fantastic, he's growing like a weed! Last weigh two weeks ago put him at almost 4lbs.

Stella is his best friend.

Rachel and Alex are fat and lazy as ever, and Alex now has two more kitties to pick on other than Rachel, so she's been feeling more confident. We also invested in Feliway since Alex is so bad about attacking the other cats.

Lazy bums.

In other news, can anyone tell me why my links stop working? It's like my google pictures don't exist anymore, but they're definitely still there on my private account. :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:28 am

I'm not sure. Maybe you could upload them directly to the board through attachments if you'd like.

Also, what do you think of fostering? I'm thinking about fostering when I've got my own place.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:32 am

I'll have to try that next time I post pictures.

I personally love fostering. I know this site isn't really about rescuing because most exotics have no rescues and/or do not rehome well. But I have worked in shelters for years and have seen the bad side of excessive breeding in cats and dogs, and have assisted with too many euthanasias of healthy animals. Fostering really does save lives. Not that I have anything against responsible breeding of cats and dogs for a specific purpose (showing, kennel/fancier club puppies/kittens, keeping good genetics in a low population breed, etc.), but far too often, especially in the midwest and the south, people just don't fix their animals and have multiple litters of animals of unknown lineage that they sell/give away, which in turn takes the place of a shelter animal in a home, which just extends the cycle of uneducated animal owners with unfixed pets. It's that kind of irresponsible breeding that causes the millions of euthanasias that occur every year.

Shelters on the west coast rely on it to keep their euthanasia numbers low, and it has really helped here in the south. According to my local shelter director (I had an interview with her yesterday for a possible job), they doubled their foster numbers in the last few years and have seen a dramatic drop in euthanasias for this county. Alachua County has a total euthanasia rate of almost less than 10%, which is pretty much no kill status for the entire county. Astounding, if you ask me, for a county in the south.

If you aren't into fostering to just save lives like I am, then it's also a way to have a trial run with animals you like and may want to own later. I foster mainly cats, but have done rabbits before and will be doing ferrets from my vet clinic in the near future as soon as my boyfriend and I have some time off to truly get our apartment in order now that we finally got our furniture last week. Fostering is fun, free, and gives you all the perks of owning the animal without the downside of paying for it. :lol:

One downside of fostering is that you can definitely get attached to them if you are not careful. I have never "foster-failed" (adopting the animal you are fostering), personally, but I know plenty of people who end up just keeping the animals they are fostering. I have always gone into fostering knowing that the animal is not mine and that I cannot keep it, so I never have. (No promises about the ferrets, though, I wanted to adopt them when I first saw them and my tech at the clinic said I could talk my boyfriend into it by fostering them first. :lol: ) But, if you can make an agreement with yourself about not adopting the animals you are fostering, it's definitely a rewarding experience that will save lives, give you a pet to play with and take care of without paying for, and you get to see what that animal is like to own without the commitment of keeping it.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:39 pm

Just some updates:

Feliaway and Gizmo wearing out Alex has definitely calmed Alex's attacks down. He has less than one per day lately (which is amazing, he used to attack relentlessly).

Bubbles is starting to get chunky.. I really wish that I could separate them to feed them, but Rachel needs lots of small meals due to her IBD or she pukes everything up. Maybe when I go back to school full time we'll start that.

Gizmo is getting big! I weighed him about a month ago and he was almost 6lbs, so he's probably closing in on 7.5 or so now, and he's showing no signs of stopping. Although he's still having a lot of herpes related congestion, he's been healthy otherwise!

Picture time!

Lazy times for everyone, and these were all taken at the same time on the same day. :lol:

Rachel on her second birthday! (Around September 19th)

Bubbles relaxing.

As you can see, lots of cuddling and no attacking. This never happened last year before the move.

Big Gizmo today.

Since Gizmo is getting close to 6 months, his teeth have been coming in. The last week or so, he's had double canines on all fours. His permanent teeth are slowly coming in, and it's been very fun to watch. I do home his deciduous teeth fall out, though, I don't want to have to have them pulled.

That's all for now! :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:22 pm

Just a few updates!

All of the cats are doing well, including another that showed up on our porch before we moved. We took him into the vet because he had a raw spot on his side, nose, and above his tail. Just a flea allergy. He had some mucky teeth that we had cleaned and removed, so now he only has half a dozen left. They think he's around 6, and has just had a rough time in life. He's still terrified of the dogs, but sasses the other cats if they get in his space.

I don't have any good pictures of him yet, but I'm sure I'll get some when things calm down a bit in life.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes