PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Namira

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Namira

Postby Juska » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:19 pm

So a few of you may have already seen through Facebook, that last Saturday, a small female cat wandered into our house and made her way into my parents' bathroom at about 4 in the morning.

She reminds me a lot of a Japanese Bobtail, but (of course) with a completely black tail. She doesn't seem like your everyday American Shorthair stray cat. I'm not great with cat age-guessing but my guess is that she's about a year or a little younger.

Long story short, we believe she was dumped nearby and instinctively looked for a house to get into (she most likely came through the dog door while we were asleep, it's a wonder Emo didn't notice). I've had a Craigslist ad up since Sunday about her as well as a Facebook post, but no one has come forward. We also called the closest shelter to us and left a description of her and our phone number. So far no one has claimed her. We don't think she could have gotten loose and gone very far, because when we found her she wasn't really all that hungry or thirsty, and her coat wasn't dirty whatsoever. Her ears were really clean on the inside as well, so we know she belonged to someone until recently. But we do live outside of town, so I believe it's possible someone drove her out here and dropped her off, for whatever reason.

As of right now her name is Namira unless I think of a name that I like better. Namira is a fictional deity in the Elder Scrolls video game series. "She is known as the Spirit Daedra, ruler of sundry dark and shadowy spirits, and is often associated with spiders, insects, slugs, and other repulsive creatures which inspire mortals with an instinctive revulsion." ...but I still like the name, haha.

^ the night we found her ^

Yesterday and today:

She seems to like everyone pretty well, though Emo and Conte aren't sure what to make of her still. Emo wanted to eat her at first but she seems to now understand that the cat isn't for eating. Neither of them have seen a cat this closely before, so it's understandable. I wasn't ever planning on having a cat. I actually wanted to get another puppy sometime in the future, but if this cat is going to stay then I guess another puppy is out of the question.

My parents really like her, so I kind of feel bad for wanting to take her to a shelter. But if Emo and Conte don't settle with her in a few weeks I'm probably going to have to do that. Conte has been fairly stressed out by the whole thing. Emo is just kind of ignoring her.

She's a nice enough cat; doesn't mind being picked up or handled, and I cut her nails on all four feet on Wednesday morning without much of a fuss.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Namira

Postby Ash » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Namira is beautiful. I love how expressive her eyes are, and I love the all black tail.

Conte may get used to her with time. It took Fable long enough to get used to Ifrit, goodness knows... Maybe once he sees she likes to keep to herself and isn't going to rule the household he'll accept her, lol.

I'm glad Emo seems to like her. I wondered what Emo would think, since you mentioned before how she likes to go after things.

Namira is a beautiful name. :) I love the Elder Scrolls games, but I admit I haven't played them very much.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Once you name them, they usually don't leave...
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:51 pm

Okay, she is BEAUTIFUL, look at those eyes! She sure crawled into the right house! :lol:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:03 am

minervasden wrote:Once you name them, they usually don't leave...
:lol:
so true...

juska,
could it be a neighbors cat? or even within a neighborhood?

a couple of my cats sometimes disappears for days, one of them for weeks.
when I think something happened to them, they return.

she is beautiful though, and would be hard to resist.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Long ago when I had a senior dog named Goldie I adopted Kat. Well She attacked Goldie and I was young and stupid still and Goldie was there first so I packed Kat up the next day and took her back to Pet's Mart but a different rescue was there and they told me the other would not be back for a week and that I should give them some time. She was mostly talking to my mom because I was crying and she must have thought my mom was making me return her. So we took her home. She had cried the whole way there but not on the way back and she and Goldie never had a problem from then on either, like she knew what was up.

But aside from that it often does take them awhile to get used to a new member and get their places and roles straight. So yeah do give it at least a few weeks unless you are having bloodshed.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Pat, I live outside of town, and we only have a few houses out here. Our closest neighbors right next door don't own her, they haven't had a cat since theirs (a deaf Tabby named Red) died a few years ago. They know the people who live in the house by the creek, so I'm sure they would have asked or talked to them about it as well if it was theirs. The people who own the farm across the field have a farm dog and some barn cats, but this cat isn't a barn cat.

The other two on this side of the creek don't have any pets, as far as I know. I know the one doesn't have any, I've been in their house. I've had a Craigslist ad and Facebook posts up since Sunday; no one has contacted me.

I know if Emo or Gum were missing I'd be out asking everyone within a couple miles radius. I haven't seen any fliers up in town or any posts on Craigslist about a missing cat of her description in this area. The only one I've seen was a post about a missing black cat in Buckhorn, which is where I live. We did call our local shelter and leave a description of her and our contact information. So if someone is looking for her, we're definitely not hiding the fact that we have her :lol:

I don't think she's ever been an outdoor cat. She was just too clean and healthy to have been outside for long. She doesn't seem hesitant to try and go out the dog door again or the front door at all. My mom took her outside the other day to see what she'd do, and she went right back inside.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:26 pm

Followed up on a lead that a coworker gave me this morning; she said she saw a flier for a lost cat with a reward on the next Rt. 80 exit downtown...I drove up there but didn't see anything. I'm going to print out a flier and stick it on the bulletin board at our local (closest to where I live) Petco and see if that garners any results.

I stopped into Petco today and bought her some treats, a few more toys and a flea collar. I didn't want to drop a ton of money on topical treatment if she isn't going to be with us for that long, and she's pretty small, so a flea collar should protect her a little from the stray flea I find on her, for now. Our dogs have their stuff on so they don't bring many in either.

Namira doesn't really play with toys that much. She'll bat at them a little but then lose interest. I bought her two more toys, a ball with a feather attached to it and a little bag of those shiny, crinkly paper balls. She likes the skittering noise the crackle balls make but she won't get on the floor to play with it. Maybe if I put them in the bathtub she'll play with them in private.

She still doesn't like being around the dogs that much and stays on pretty high alert when she knows they're around. She really only loosens up when she's up above them somewhere or in a room with a closed door. If she's gonna stay with us she's going to have to get more comfortable with them. Gum seems to be pretty okay with her at this point.

Tomorrow morning at 4 she'll have been with us for a week.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:28 pm

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:54 am

if no one claimed her, I guess you got yourself a new beautiful cat..

my last two cats I got were older cats. they were afraid of my dogs, and would steer clear of them.
but, in time, they got use to them and even sleep near them now.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:39 pm

So, what happened with Bubbles here with me is happening there with you and Namira? Congratulations on your new cat. :lol:

In all seriousness, though, she is very pretty. She's got a tail like Alex, all black. I don't think that's too common with cats that aren't pointed, like siamese. You can see his in this picture:

If you do wind up keeping her, she will likely be more comfortable around dogs if you give her a few places to get up and away from them, like some cat trees or window perches or wall shelves from Ikea. Although our cats here like the dogs, they all scamper up a tree or under the couch if a dog gets too overzealous with them.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:11 pm

She has a few places in the house that only she can get to, so yes, she is getting more used to the dogs because of those retreats making her feel more comfortable. She likes my windowsill. That's where she spends a lot of time.

Namira has been sleeping in bed next to me at night. Gum sleeps on the other side of me. She's been walking on the floor more than before, instead of sprinting from room to room and up somewhere out of reach of the dogs. She likes sliding on the kitchen floor, and playing in the bathtubs. I gave her a new litter box today. If I imitate her meow, she'll "talk" to me by making the same sound. She doesn't make long or loud sounds, it sounds more like a little "mee" or "mip".

Gonna try and get her to the vet soon. The flea collar is working well, thankfully.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:43 pm

Namira lost her collar outside yesterday :/ Not sure where but I doubt it's going to be found. It was a breakaway collar so I assume it's somewhere I'm not going to just stumble upon it. Her flea collar was still on when she came home, though.

So, I made her a new one out of hemp twine and blue ceramic beads. Same as a hemp bracelet, only for a kitty. There is a photo of it at the bottom of this post as well as one of her wearing it. She was asleep on my little wicker chair and I slipped it right over her head. Doesn't seem to mind it. I need to get a bell for on it.

Also, Namira went into heat last week. It didn't last too long, and we kept her inside for the majority of it. So at least I know she isn't spayed. I'm gonna try and get her a vet appointment on Friday.

These are from before she lost the collar, haha:

New collar:

Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:14 pm

This just in...

My dad was walking outside his garage this evening and thought he saw Namira outside near the border of our fence. He shined a flashlight on it and called for her, but then the flashlight went out. It meowed and then went out of sight.

He told me through Facebook that she was outside, but then I told him she was sitting here right next to me inside in the house. I just put a bell on her new collar, and he said he didn't hear a bell.

It seems there is another cat out there that looks and sounds just like her. This might explain why I saw her walking around in that same part of the yard the other day, and why she seems to always want to go outside.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:37 pm

Ah likely she was dumped due to coming into heat then. Some of them will do it every other week or so especially if they have shorter ones like that. Sadly many people get upset my a queen's behavior while in heat but instead of fixing them choose to dump them. So she is likely young.

Glad she's doing so well there. She's pretty.

----

Oh that's interesting. Could be siblings then.

Return to “Domestic Cats”