Namira

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Namira

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:48 am

She's so pretty, and seems so happy. So has she finally "meshed" with the household and have a routine down? She looks like one happy, content animal.

I can't get over her black spots. It reminds me of my pied ball pythons.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:23 am

she is beautiful. I love her markings.

never seen a cat marked like that till you got her.

I knew she would have a good home with you..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:20 pm

Yep, she definitely has a routine now. She sleeps on mom or dad through the morning, then probably about 7 she's up to sit in the kitchen window to watch the birds out on the feeders. When she gets bored of that she takes to sprinting through the house looking for fun stuff to do, like drag her rabbit fur scraps around like she's gotten a prize kill to show off, haha. She has 3 rabbit hide/fur strips I cut off of a project hide and gave to her, she loves them. She also plays with a ball of aluminum foil we made for her. She chases and bats at it, then she'll pick it up in her mouth and take it somewhere to hide it.

Later on in the day she likes to relax in the one cupboard door above the dryer that we keep open for her (it has shop towels in it, and she likes to sleep on them). And if she's feeling energetic she'll climb the screen door and stand on top of the door frame, lol. Every time she hears my bathroom door open, she sprints to the bathroom and does a Superman leap into the bathtub in the hopes that you'll turn the faucet on a little for her. She loves water.

All of my creatures get along fairly well. Sometimes they even try to play, but they still aren't sure about it. Namira will try and pounce Emo, but when she gets close enough she stops herself and runs the other way :lol: If Emo is rowdy enough she'll play bow and jump at the cat, but Namira doesn't understand so she usually just runs away or walks off. Namira will pounce Conte once in a while because he's more her size.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:27 pm

Got this for $24 at Wal-Mart today (the ones at Petco were in the $50-60 range for almost the exact same design and sizes). Wanted to get it a few days in advance of her vet visit to get her used to it. Right now her food bowl is in there so she has to go in it to eat; I also put a cloth that she's slept on in there (it's from a pile of clean shop rags in a cupboard over the dryer, she hops up there to nap on them sometimes) so it has a little bit of her scent in it. She seems comfortable going in and out, not afraid of being trapped or stuck in it. It's actually really roomy. Conte could even fit in there, but he wouldn't be able to stand all the way up.

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:38 am

Namira is doing well today. The anesthesia is gone and she's basically back to normal besides some weakness and sleepiness. She's eating and being social with us. We bought her some crunchy cat treats to reward her and she actually loves them.

Last night she was scared and jumpy, wouldn't calm down or sleep. But when morning came around she seemed better (about as good as I felt, because neither of us slept).

I'm glad she's feeling better. I can't stand to see animals in pain or afraid/confused after something like that.

But at least now her hormones will relax, no more stressing heat cycles, and she has her vaccinations. Going back in three weeks to finish the boosters, then she's good til next year.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:45 am

I'm glad she came through fine.
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:56 pm

She slept with me for a little bit in bed last night and she's on my lap purring right now. So I think she's feeling better. She has been licking her incision a little bit, but it doesn't look red/irritated/overly hot so I think it'll be fine as it heals. There's still glue in it so I don't think she'll be able to get through that.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:26 pm

So it's been nine days since her procedure. Her skin is finally coming together and healing over the incision, for the most part. But she has a firm-ish lump near the one end of the incision. Apparently this is pretty normal, especially in cats, and is called an incision reaction; I guess it's just how the body reacts to "take care" of the healing process. It looks a bit red around it too, and where one part of it is healing, it looks a bit shiny/wet. But I think that's just the new skin growing. No pus or discoloration (green, yellow, black that would signify an infection). Just pink and red skin.

I can squeeze (gently of course) the lump and around the site and she doesn't show any signs of discomfort, so it doesn't seem to be giving her any pain. She's eating heartily, playing and sleeping well, so I believe she feels alright. Not showing any signs of "pain" like not eating or sleeping a lot, or being defensive near the wound.

She has another vet appointment on the 31st of March, so another 11 days and the vet will be able to see her to give her the last round of shots and check on the healing process. Hopefully I don't wimp out and take her before that. She seems to be healing fine, but I'm just a bit paranoid about these things.

Also she got her first name tag! It has an "N" on the front, then on the back it has her full name and my phone number.

Let me know if this link works too:
Video of Namira sitting up for treats, March 19th 2015
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:42 pm

We're all very paranoid when it comes to our animals. Trust me, I'm actually in the middle of it right now... So I don't blame you for being overly-concerned with Namira. She's a beautiful cat, and I'm glad she's healing well. If it is a "common" thing, then I would not worry as much about it and would wait until her next appointment to bring it up.

Hm... The link doesn't work for me. icon_confused.gif I want to see her do tricks!

And I like the collar. I like that it's just got a letter on the one side, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:16 am

Just got back from visiting Matt (the boyfriend), been gone since Sunday evening. I just checked her incision and it looks pretty good, almost all the way healed. She's back to sprinting through the house and is as lively as ever, and actually she's gotten more cuddly with everyone, too.

Six days til her next appointment at the vet, I think they'll be happy with her recovery. I'll probably bring a thank-you card for them when I go on Tuesday.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:28 pm

Everything went well at the vet's; got her last jab until next year and the doc says her incision looks great.

Just got this in the mail today, a fancy new collar to match her fancy name tag!

I bought it on Etsy from Made by Cleo, they make collars for kitties and small doggies :) So if you're sick of the limited designs offered by your local pet supply stores check them out!
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:21 pm

So...remember when I originally was posting about Namira and said that there might be another one like her living out in my area? That my dad supposedly saw another cat that looked just like her, but she had been inside with me at the time?

Turns out, there is another harlequin cat out there, and it looks just like Namira.

My mom took this photo earlier in the afternoon while I was at work. She had let the dogs out, Emo saw the cat first and chased it up one of our trees. Then mom grabbed her camera and snapped a photo. This was taken from the other end of our yard through the kitchen window, so it's a bit blurry.

Mom said it's sad that both of them didn't come to us, but seeing this photo, it's obvious the cat is being fed and housed in some type of shelter...otherwise it wouldn't have survived the winter we just had (my dad saw this other cat back in August/September when Namira decided to move in with us). I'm not sure if it's living the barn cat life across the field at the farm and being fed, where there are some other cats living, or if it's someone else's "outdoor" cat that they let roam. It's a little puffed up in the photo from being scared by Emo, but it doesn't look emaciated. Definitely not starving.

With this new evidence coming to light, my original theory of her being abandoned might be a little less plausible...unless both of them were abandoned together, and Namira was just brave enough to try to get into a house while the other wasn't.

Or they might have been born out here somewhere, but it still seems doubtful to me as she's a white cat, and her paws/ears/coat were completely clean when we found her. She didn't have any fleas or ticks either. I don't know.

I'm not sure if I should try to capture this other cat and take it to a shelter...it seems healthy enough from what I could see in the picture. And since this is the first time we've seen it in a while it must have somewhere else to go. My neighbor saw this cat the other day as well, and he lives closer to the farm than we do. So my guess is, it's living there.

I might go over there and ask them if they have cats and what colors they are, and if they feed them/let them in the barn willingly. If so I'd urge them to get it vaccinated and spayed/neutered but I wouldn't want to take "their" cat from them and give it to a shelter or something, if they're attached to it in any way. Mind you, these are the same people who let their dog run free that was hit by a car a few months ago. So them letting barn cats live with them seems reasonable to believe.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:26 pm

That's cool you got a picture of her. :)

Feral cats tend to take care of themselves really well in the wild. There are PLENTY out where I am in the country, and they all look well-fed and happy, just roaming through the fields and catching mice (even during the winter). Cats can definitely survive without much assistance--not saying that it's okay to let them stray/become feral. You could try to catch this one though and see if she or he would make a good pet. :) Maybe Namira needs a sibling, lol.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:00 pm

With it probably being a feral I don't know how well it would take to being in the house with the same dog that tried to chase down and kill it...also, I'm the only one paying for all three of our pets so adding another would put even more of a dent in my small paycheck. I wasn't really planning on having one cat; two is just kind of out of the question.

If they had come to the house together, I wouldn't have wanted to separate them. But taking in a feral cat just isn't something I'm mentally or financially prepared to do.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:32 pm

You don't know for sure it's feral. Lost cats will run even from their own owners but once caught and back home love on them. It's like they got a switch. Even so since he/she seems to be doing well enough I'd leave it alone. Though many vets will do ferals for free. So if the farm doesn't lay claim maybe you could find a place willing to fix it for free for trap and release or find someone who does want a barn cat. The odds are bad for it at a shelter though.

Return to “Domestic Cats”