PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Namira

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Re: Namira

Postby Juska » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:48 pm

You're right, I don't know if it's feral. All I know is that there are cats at the barn across the field, that it usually comes from that way, and that it's been spotted multiple times throughout the past year. My neighbor just last week came over to our house and asked if our kitty was roaming the field, which he lives closer to than I do. He knows she wears a collar though so he didn't know if it was a stray or mine. He's seen this cat a few times in his garden too. So my best guess is that it's either a feral/barn cat or allowed to roam outside freely/being fed and occasionally housed by someone. But seeing how I took Namira in and tried very hard to find her owner, if she had one, I'm kind of doubtful she belonged to anyone that cared enough to really look for her. All they would have had to do was call any shelter in our area or look on craigslist and with proof that they owned her they would have gotten her back. I wouldn't keep a lost pet from someone who genuinely missed them. I left a description with every shelter in the area and called them all back periodically to see if anyone had called in/come looking for a missing cat like her. I posted on the local lost and found pet page on Facebook for my region.

So since this cat looks so much like her, and that they both showed up around the same time (my dad saw the other one for the first time a few weeks later, but it was dark out so we weren't totally sure about its appearance), I'm inclined to believe they're related, in some way.

Either way, I'd rather not put it through trapping, fixing and releasing, especially if someone does "own" it, or sees it as a pet. I wouldn't know if it was spayed until I got it to a vet, or neutered until I caught it, or vaccinated at all. I don't know if there are ill effects to vaccinating an animal twice without knowing it. I would just feel uncomfortable putting a domestic cat back outdoors, not knowing if it has a home to go back to or a family that loves it.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu May 14, 2015 10:43 pm

Bought Namira a bag of Taste of the Wild for cats yesterday at Tractor Supply, $11.99 a bag versus about $25+ for Blue Wilderness for cats which she was eating. She seems to really enjoy the new food, and now all of my pets eat the same brand, which makes my OCD feel good. I would have started feeding her this right away when we decided to keep her if I had known about it! Last time I went to buy dog food (you can see the dog's bag that says "Taste of" to the left of the cat's bag in this picture, lol) I spied it on the shelf in the cat section. The cat and dog food of that brand are the same price for each size respectively, I like that too.

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:40 pm

Mom took this photo of Namira today.

caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:49 pm

Very pretty and great photo. ^^
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:55 pm

Pretty! So photogenic!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:55 am

really super nice photo. shows off all Namira's beautiful marking.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:19 pm

So, last August, I moved away from home again, and I've been here a little over a year. Namira has been living with mom and dad. About half a year ago, the landlord came to renew our lease and he said that we can have a cat if we want. Because he found out the downstairs tenant has a cat, and he let the guy keep it. So to be fair he told us we can have one as well. I can smell the guy's cat down in the foyer so the landlord must be pretty tolerant of the situation, or just lax with pets. Originally he said pets were not allowed, when Matt first moved in down here a couple years ago. Though, he did let me move in :roll:

I was talking with my parents, and next weekend, I will be bringing Namira to come stay with us down here. Just for fun. And I know Namira so it's safer than trying to adopt a cat and having it possibly not work out. Matt is completely on board with having her. And now...she can go on...A DIET. Like I've mentioned numerous times before, my parents like animals but they don't like them enough to follow a feeding schedule or take them to the vet unless I pay for it. So yeah. Namira is going to lose some weight, because she gained about 3-4 lbs since I got her spayed.

I think she might miss going outside on her little supervised outings, but at least my parents don't have to worry about her slipping out of the house and getting lost, or hit by a car. Just this week, my dad couldn't find her anywhere in the house. The next afternoon, he found her in the basement, cold and hungry (but otherwise fine). Not only that but the dogs will be able to use the doggy door again without Namira using it as an escape hatch. All of our windows have screens, and the door to our apartment opens into a hallway to the actual front door, so she can't just slip out of an open door and escape either.

And, if something doesn't "work out", she has a place to go to where she'll be welcome.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:22 pm

Good luck. If she's mostly kept inside it wont be that much of a transition.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:21 pm

That's great! You must be excited thinking about it. When I had to leave Fable for a few months in Utah as I waited for a permit, it was rough. But I remember it was wonderful when we were reunited, never to be apart again. :) I'm sure you will have the same feeling that I did with Fable.

Cats are pretty adaptable, so I'm sure she will be happy in the new house even without access to the outdoors. You could always do one of those cat boxes on one of your windows! And then give her access when you're home. Even if it was just a small box for some fresh air, she'd love it. If that's not possible in your situation though, I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure she'll be a great fully-indoor cat.

I've noticed cats especially are very prone to weight gain after a spay. I'm glad you'll be getting her slim again. And she'll be happier being the correct weight. My mom wants to overfeed Mousse the yorkie because she doesn't realize the size he's supposed to be (a growing problem with pet owners). She understands now though, especially since he saw a vet the day before she came out to visit us and the vet said Mousse was a PERFECT weight and looked very healthy. So now she listens better, heehee. Not that she would overstuff him, but she would probably give him more than he should have. I'm glad your parents are starting to see that too (though they still need reminding and you being around to keep it in check it seems).

Good luck. :) I really hope things work out for you guys and that Namira will be happy with you. I'm sure she misses you as much as you miss her.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:23 pm

She does come and meow at me when I come to visit, so at least she remembers me. Only thing that'll change for me is the hair...white cat hair. All over everything.

Maybe I'll grab myself a cat Furminator blade (comb?) and give her a GOOD de-shed treatment before I bring her here. I brush her with the rubber curry brush once in a while but it seems like I could brush her for hours and hours and the loose hair won't ever stop coming out.

"I found this in the basement after being gone since yesterday afternoon, she sure was hungry and missing the great indoors. Kitty is happy to be back home. Needs a bath but that can wait."
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:40 am

Aw, that's cute! "I found this" lol.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:06 pm

Called the landlord, and he said as long as she's spayed, he has no problems with us having her. "Cats can't tear anything up" he says, haha.

I got her carrier out and she seems ready for an adventure.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:04 pm

That's nice she got in on her own :)
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:28 pm

Moments like that are why I'm glad I instilled the "this is your little house" idea in her when I first bought that thing. Now she'll just go in it whenever it gets brought out. She slept for at least an hour after getting in.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:33 pm

Namira peed all over herself inside her carrier. I tried to wash her off with Dawn on a wet paper towel, then I rubbed baking soda through it to try and soak up the smell. But she still kinda smells awful. I hope she'll groom the rest off and she won't stink anymore...

Return to “Domestic Cats”