PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Harnesses

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

Harnesses

Postby minervasden » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:52 pm

I'm not up to date on what's available as it has been many years since I've needed to purchase one. Any recommendations on a good, lasting cat harness? Please include links if possible. If it isn't available at Pet Supplies Plus or Walmart, I'll need to order it. Thank you.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Minty

Re: Harnesses

Postby Minty » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:41 pm

With some research, http://www.adventurecats.org/gear-safet ... -cat-need/ , it seems that a vest option may be better if you fear the cat will slip out. I definitely would go for a more vest styled one anyway, considering how flexible cats are.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:30 pm

Thank you for the reply. I like that it mentioned brands and not just styles. I have a vest that I just bought a week or two ago at a thrift store. But after getting it home I think it was actually marketed for bunnies or other small critters. It has silk like ribbons instead of nylon straps and some sort of rubber ball to adjust size. I didn't really examine it too closely before purchasing.

Oh, and I would never trust that first ASPCA recommended harness to securely contain a cat.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:05 am

I actually use a tiny martingale collar for my cat. Obviously I wouldn't want to yank on his little neck, but he can't slip it since it tightens against pulling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:35 pm

Neofelis wrote:I actually use a tiny martingale collar for my cat. Obviously I wouldn't want to yank on his little neck, but he can't slip it since it tightens against pulling.

And my one cat cannot even wear a safety collar safely. :roll:
hecate

Postby hecate » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:56 pm

I had high hopes for the Kitty Holster but bobcats have short necks for their size.

http://www.kittyholster.com/index.html

The neck strap is too wide for Scully to wear comfortably. I'll either alter it or use it as a pattern to make one that fits. She wears a "practice" harness I made out of 1" wide soft elastic and velcro without any problems.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:41 pm

The Kitty Holster was referenced in the link above, so it is good to hear from someone who tried one. Does the velcro seem good and secure? I will probably try this one first.
hecate

Postby hecate » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:53 pm

The velcro is the full width of the strap and very secure. For a cat as strong as a 30-lb. bobcat I would add a second layer of velcro like they use on protective horse boots, although Scully doesn't try to pull it open. It should be sufficient for domestics.

This is a jacket-style harness but doesn't appear to be either a Kitty Holster or properly adjusted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Osw64Ay
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:32 am

hecate wrote:The velcro is the full width of the strap and very secure. For a cat as strong as a 30-lb. bobcat I would add a second layer of velcro like they use on protective horse boots, although Scully doesn't try to pull it open. It should be sufficient for domestics.

OK. Shimmer already wears a sweater so shouldn't be a problem. I'd just better check her reaction to velcro noise. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Domestic Cats”