PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

The Tux with no name

All breed of house Cats and Kittens

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

w0lfygirl

The Tux with no name

Postby w0lfygirl » Mon May 02, 2016 10:02 pm

So I'm back again.. :roll: Never been terribly active, I've been a lurker for 6 years..
But now i have contribution! :3
I got a new kitten, and he's seriously the cutest kitten i've had. I haven't named him yet, hence the thread title, but i love him none the less.
He's not officially home with me yet, he's been staying with a friend (who owns one of his brothers) till I can pay my pet deposit. (300 dollars is rough for an apartment, and after just moving in and getting a new car, we've been a bit short. It'll sort out in a couple weeks)
He's a bit distant over there, I'm assuming it's because of the commotion, but I had him over for a "sleepover" and he did great. I couldn't ask for a sweeter kitten.
Now I do have a couple of questions.
I want to get him the best food I can, to keep him as healthy and happy as possible. I know the good dog food brands, but not so much cat food brands. I haven't had a cat since I was 13, and food options weren't up to me then. :shrug: What's the healthiest brands that cats actually like?
And also, his poo has been a kind of.. dijon mustard yellow. They said all of their cats, even their oldest one who is over a year old, have the yellow poo. It's also soft. It's pretty concerning.. They let the cats eat scraps off of the ground, and I've been trying to get them to not do that with mine. I read that it could be a bacterial imbalance. I'm going to be taking him to a vet next week for his first shots and checkups, but just in case it's more serious I'd like to know what it could be..

anyhow! Here's the little dude.

:3
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Tux with no name

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 02, 2016 10:37 pm

Cheap foods cause the mustard poo. I think from all the corn.

The best would be something like Evo.

We use nutro naturals. Far from the best but pretty far from the worst too. Plus he's my dad's cat so I didn't want it to e too expensive.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue May 03, 2016 10:30 am

If the good dog food brands you like have a cat food it (cat food) should be of similar quality.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 03, 2016 3:10 pm

What a cutie! You must be dying, waiting for him to come home with you. When he's back at your place, take some more pics for us, please! (lol, Only if you want to, of course. ;P)

I actually think "Tux" would be a good name. "Tuxedo." Or, if you're into anime, you could call him "Tuxedo Mask." lol :P
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri May 06, 2016 11:56 am

What a sweet little kitty! Congratulations!

No matter what brand of cat food you choose, pick one without corn, soy, or other fillers. Make sure meats are the first ingredient, as cats are carnivores and not meant to have grains, beans, and high amount of vegetables in the diet. Also, make sure it isn't full of dyes and preservatives, which cats can become intolerant too. Taurine is also very important.
Your little guy looks young enough for kitten food, which will provide the fat and calcium he needs to grow strong and healthy.

Once he is yours make sure he is vaccinated and wormed and slowly switch him to a healthy brand of kitten food (a quick switch can cause issues with the stomach). If his droppings remain bad for over a few days then you may have to talk to the vet about it.

Our cats enjoy weird treats at times and it doesn't seem to cause stomach upsets for them, so if your kitten is having problems it could be something more serious like poor quality food, worms, ect.

I hope all goes well with your little guy. Keep us updated. : )
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Tue May 10, 2016 2:00 pm

He's getting big pretty quickly, so I'm thinking he might be on the larger side. Otherwise he's older than the mother's owner thought.
I think the yellow poo has gone away, as far as they told me anyways, so I'm guessing it was the sardines that they gave him.
Monday I take him to the vet for his checkup and shots and then he'll be coming home with me. :3
I've been thinking of feeding him Merrick or taste of the wild. Other than the really cheap ones and blue buffalo, those are the only ones I've heard of that the store here carries, and I'm not driving two hours every few weeks for food.
I'll have to start with the merrick though..It's expensive (20 for a 5lb bag, taste of the wild is half that) but It's the only brand I recognize that has food good for kittens. If he does well on it and if it doesn't end up being too costly I might just keep him on it.

I've been thinking of naming him Kito, still unsure till I have him home with me, but i'll figure it out. I'll definitely take more pictures when he's home too.
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue May 10, 2016 3:09 pm

Here's a 'secret' about kitten vs. cat food. Most cat food is kitten food. Look at the AAFCO statement (usually by the ingredients and analysis statements) if it says growth and maintenance or all life stages than it is kitten food. In many brands there is no difference in the kitten vs adult formulas other than marketing. people just think there should be special foods for kittens. Now foods such as indoor, hairball, urinary track , less active, senior, etc. are just for adults. The AAFCO statement will say maintenance, adult maintenance or similar. So don't feel you have to stay away from a brand because they don't have a special kitten food. The same applies to dog food as well.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Fri May 20, 2016 12:21 am

Well, that's good to know. I went to the store and they didn't even have it.. They had a bunch of other stuff that wasn't listed but nothing that I wanted to buy him.
I decided instead to order a bag of purrfect bistro online, and he likes it so that's what we're going with.
The vet determined he's 10 weeks old, and he goes in for his big boy shots in 3 weeks.
I bought him a variety of toys that he doesn't care for aside from the big stuffed rat and this..

He loves the ball part but hasn't taken interest in the corrugate yet. Having issues with scratching, more than any of the other kittens i've had, which i think is because he was taken from the mother earlier than usual, but hopefully he grows out of it. :wall:
Hopefully I can find a scratching post he likes other than my arms and couch.
So far besides the turbo toy, his favorite thing to play with is the big brown packing paper that came in the box his carrier came in. And of course boxes. :lol: typical cat

So far we're still calling him Kito but it's just such an odd name to me, so it's hard for me to settle on. :roll:
I'll figure it out I suppose.

Return to “Domestic Cats”