Still determined to get a caracal or a serval!!

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

sparkimoto

Re: Still determined to get a caracal or a serval!!

Postby sparkimoto » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:25 pm

I see the person who last posted used to own a caracal who lived in 'capital city' which I am assuming means she lived in the state of Minnesota. You said that caracals were legal there but servals were not. I live in CA and I know that servals are illegal here. Also any animal considered as WILD is illegal as well. I would assume that means caracals as well. But that doesn't stop me from wanting one. I haven't heard much about how they are as pets but it seems yours was a great pet. I'd be interested to know in more detail about your pet and what were the things about it that made it so special and different than your average domestic cat?
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:09 pm

sparkimoto wrote:I live in CA and I know that servals are illegal here. Also any animal considered as WILD is illegal as well. I would assume that means caracals as well. But that doesn't stop me from wanting one.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx ... nline=true

According to CA's restricted species law, yes, the caracals are banned.

Anyway, now that I finally looked at CA's laws...holy crap, does that state have a fear of exotics? Hedgehogs and sugar gliders aren't even allowed. If I lived in CA and I had a strong need to own any sort of animal besides the domestic dog or cat, I would move.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Vata Raven wrote:
sparkimoto wrote:I live in CA and I know that servals are illegal here. Also any animal considered as WILD is illegal as well. I would assume that means caracals as well. But that doesn't stop me from wanting one.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx ... nline=true

According to CA's restricted species law, yes, the caracals are banned.

Anyway, now that I finally looked at CA's laws...holy crap, does that state have a fear of exotics? Hedgehogs and sugar gliders aren't even allowed. If I lived in CA and I had a strong need to own any sort of animal besides the domestic dog or cat, I would move.

CA is terrible, elephant bull-hooks are banned too. And if I remember correctly, a bill is being presented to ban the selling of puppies at pet stores. :-x
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 1 leopard gecko, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, mink, bat eared fox, jerboa, lemur (brown or white ruffed), egyptian fruit bat.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:58 pm

Peacefulward wrote:CA is terrible, elephant bull-hooks are banned too. And if I remember correctly, a bill is being presented to ban the selling of puppies at pet stores. :-x

I would be okay with that ban because these pet stores mainly get their puppies and kittens from breeding mills, not from proven breeders.
sparkimoto

Postby sparkimoto » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:52 am

Yes as you can see, CA has just about any and every regulation you can imagine on ownership of exotic animals. CA is also the last state you want to live in if you are into muscle cars. But that's a whole other topic. Back to exotic animals. Okay so unless I have miss read or missed something, the once particular exotic ( cat ) that seems to be excluded from the CA book of rules and regulations is ... believe it or not ... the CHEETAH! Now try to explain that one!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:47 am

Cheetah's are on the Endangered species list so you can't have them without a hard to get Federal license anyway so they maybe thought it was unnecessary. Is kind of weird but that's how OR originally did it. By OR state law I could have a manatee if I want or a hippo but some easier to get things are banned.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”