PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

African Wild Cat Behavior

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

catlover1019

African Wild Cat Behavior

Postby catlover1019 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:35 am

I'm new here, and I'm interested in many types of exotics. Currently, I'm a 19-year old college student, so I don't think I'll be getting any any time soon, I jusy have a lot of curiosity. Contrary to my username, cats are not my main interest when it comes to exotic pets. This is a cat-related question, though.

Does anyone have reliable information about how African wild cats behave as pets. How different is their behavior from domestic cat behavior if they are treated the same way? Will they be more tame and cat-like if they are bottle babies? They seem to be relatively common pets in their native range, but I don't know of any in North Anerica or Europe. I know that feral cats act pretty wild if they live thusly, so I'm wondering if it would follow if their wild ancestors act pretty tame if treated appropriately. Basically, how much more exotic truly are AWC than a particulaly feisty breed of domestic cats? Are they infact no more wild than some domestic cats in their behavior?

Edit: I am aware of the rampant "hybridization" between domestic cats and AWCs in their native range. Notice I put hybridization in quotes because they are not true hybrids due to being the same species. This does add another interested element to the situation, though, especially as it seems that the "hybrids" are selected for, rather than against by natural selection. I really don't think more genetic diversity is bad for the species. Conservation does not have to mean things staying as they are. Sorry for the little rant.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: African Wild Cat Behavior

Postby Ash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:15 pm

I just figured I'd give a quick answer here that might point you in the right direction.

Try the exotic cat facebook groups if you are interested in learning about their behavior. Unfortunately, the board never really had that many exotic cat owners on here, so I don't think there will be anyone to answer your question. Hopefully facebook helps you get the answer you need.

If you do get an answer there, PLEASE post what you learned here so that we can continue to help educate others with the same questions. :) I'd be interested in this answer as well!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”