please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Care Guides.

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

natashaami777

Care Guides.

Postby natashaami777 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:01 am

Heres the care sheets for the bobcat.

http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/1564.html

Serval, Caracal, and Siberian Lynx Care sheet.

http://www.juliesjungle.com/documents/s ... 0sheet.pdf

If you have any or more accurate care guides then please comment below with the link :D
Splashstorm

Re: Care Guides.

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:06 am

That's really cool:) Thanks for posting them!
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Splashstorm wrote:That's really cool:) Thanks for posting them!

No worries. I was just searching bobcat care and decided to post a thread on it :)
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Here you go icon-smile
I remember TG compiled a LOT of care guides a while back. A lot of work went into them. Always nice to have more info. I haven't had time to go to the links, but if they're a good source with documented evidence, thanks!

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8641 Care guides for wild felids
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8643Clouded Leopard and lynx care manuals

I'm pretty sure most small exotic felines are kept pretty similarly. In a similar sized enclosure, fed a similar raw diet, etc. But it would be very nice to compile what their personalities *usually* are. There are always exceptions, and I believe, if not this forum, then another, it became a heated debate about it. But I, for one, am interested in knowing how captive servals differ from caracals and how caracals differ from bobcats and lynx personality wise.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:15 pm

For me personality is usually one of the first things I ask about when I'm thinking of a new future pet. :)
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:56 am

It's good to do your research and ask questions Splashstorm and learn about all their personality traits and such. There are general similarities between all bobcats such as they all will spray, they have attitudes, they must eat a raw diet. But each individual one has it's own personality. It's great to ask questions and lots of them about the exotic animals that you may be interested in, and feel free to ask anything you want to know about them. I'm happy to answer and I know others are too here, but it is very important that you get some experience in working with the types of exotics that you are interested in too before ever purchasing one. whether it is at a sanctuary, zoo, or a private owner. It is one thing to hear us talk about our exotics and tell you what they are like, but to get the real picture you really need to be around them a lot and then you will be able to decide what exotic is best for you.

I know I say it is absolutely wonderful having our bobcat Benji with us, and it is. We absolutely love him, but 99.9% of people that come to our house or we talk to say we are crazy and could never deal with an animal like a bobcat, and I agree that most people would not put up with or be able to do it. We wouldn't have it any other way though. This is our life. I'm glad you are here to learn about exotics. This is a great place to start. and please always feel free to ask me or anyone else that has exotics on here any questions you might have. That's why we are here.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:39 am

Very true egroegart :) Hands-on experience goes a lot towards deciding if you would really want to live with a certain animal. I really can't wait to get into Moorpark college for my animal training! Sadly it will be in 5 years because I have to take 2 years to do my prerequisites first, and since we don't have the money for apartment living (Moorpark doesn't have dorms) I have to wait for my sister to get out of high school so she can go with me to California to help pay for things. She and my cousin have agreed to go with me. My best friend and her sister might go too, as we will only stay down there for 3 years.

It will be at least 10 years before I even get any new pets at all (aside from the smaller things like a tarantula, centipede, or scorpion.) I still have so much in my life to sort out before I "settle down." x) Right now I'm just doing pure research.

ImageImage

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”