PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Still determined to get a caracal or a serval!!

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

kaylalk

Still determined to get a caracal or a serval!!

Postby kaylalk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:29 am

Hey guuuuys haven't checked in for a long long time but just letting y'all know I am still very determined to get my exotics. In time! :)

It's hard because there are no caracal breeders in Canada however I do know of one serval breeder.

Has anyone on the forums had any experience getting a feline from the states to canada? Any info would help.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Still determined to get a caracal or a serval!!

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:15 pm

Nice to see you back. I was wondering where you'd gone.

Glad you're still interested in exotics! I love caracals and servals too--I don't know which I like better. I lean toward caracals, but I think that's just because they're still rather unique in the pet trade with servals and ALCs being so common.

Are you thinking about getting a serval soon-ish?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:27 pm

I looove caracals!! Get a caracal XDD
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:08 am

Hey Kaylalk, I live in Canada too and will get an exotic pet this around this April 2013, so I could definitely look into the exotic cat matter ;) One of the members of my family were interested in getting a serval cat a while ago, and I've been looking for one for the past 3 years. But I've decided I'd go with a fox (which I've also been looking for for the past 3 years yep). But in max 9 years from now I'll have a lynx with a friend of mine. Anyways, I know of one breeder in BC who charges around 6000$ for her serval cats (male) and 6500$ for females (but they're all fixed so I'd just go with a male)
No all provinces allow these animals, some do but you'd need a license, while others don't let you at all
And sometimes provinces allow you to have these animals but the CITY you live in prohibits you from having one
Would you mind to say what province you're located in? :) I'm -hehe- beast with laws and arguing my life with environment agents x)
My mother wanted to import a serval cat from the US. There is no law prohibiting you from doing so, BUT you'd have to check your province & city allow servals or caracals. I'd go with a serval if I were you: more legal because more common, and because they are used to create Savannah cats, while caracals are quite rare as exotic pets (which means less agents knowing about them as pets) and no record of any domestic caracal in Canada, and that could cause problems. So for the legality matter, I'd say you should stick with a serval!

The serval you'd like to import would need to have all the vet shots, a health certificate and all the importation papers signed by the state vet (from which you're buying the feline). After that, I'm not sure, as my mother decided she wouldn't take a serval anymore so we abandoned the research
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:08 am

To me that doesn't make any sense. An animal is either legal or not to have. How can a Serval be more legal because it is more common? I may be off here but I just thought a law was a law.
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:37 pm

I don't know why but I guess since there's a breeder in Canada, that makes them more legal. I contacted a few wildlife ministries from different provinces to ask them about serval pet or caracal pet, and only 2 accepted the caracal pet, VS 6 who accepted the serval pet... laws are weird sometimes
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:25 pm

I think Vulpis meant there are more places where it is legal. I wouldn't trust her advice though she is planning to get a fox in Ontario where it is clearly illegal to do so.
codycatz

Postby codycatz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Also do consider the huge difference in personalities between Servals and Caracals. I understand that Caracals are much more stand-offish than Servals.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:57 am

^I didn't know that. O-o That's sucks.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Delight

Postby Delight » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Okie dokie. I think I can probably answer a few things here as I can litterally see Canada from where I live and have had many inquiries into getting exotic cats accross the boarder into B.C.

Right now there is a movement going on in Canada with "the domesticated serval" in people standing up for their rights to own servals with the claim that they are "domestic" because they have been bred in captivity (this may be where "servals are more legal" is coming into the conversation regaurding canada), while it is still going to depend on your individual province or township to the legality of owning one. A good place to start researching the legality in your area is contacting local animal control officers.

Any "exotic" cat (meaning any cat that is a pure species such as serval/caracal or hybrid species upto 4 generations removed from the source (meaning hybrids of the F1-F3 generations) are required to have CITES permission before leaving the united states.

It takes roughly 3-8wks to get an export permit from CITES (which has to be done by the breeder who is shipping the animal into canada). Once you have an O.K. from CITES and have the permit for the exotic cat in question to cross the boarder the breeder will also need to get a health certificate issued no more than 10 days before boarder crossing and be fully vaccinated (rabbies included) and to do a rabbies vaccination cat/kitten will need to be at least 16wks of age. Canada will allow kittens under 12wks of age to enter the country without a rabbies vaccination with hybrid exotic cats, but I am not sure on pure-species.

Canada is actually one of the easiest countries to import into as far as permitting, but the process still takes time and you need to find a breeder that has the know-how to apply for the CITES permit and one that is trustworthy enough to send a large sum of money to.

I have looked largely into this matter as I may be importing cats into CA soon, seeing as I am only 1 1/2hrs from the boarder. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. Happy cat searching. :-)
kaylalk

Postby kaylalk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Delight thanks so much for your input!! The paperwork is all very confusing. Would the breeder have to file for the CITES export permit or would I be able to if I were to go down to the states and actually get the cat myself?

What kind of cats were you thinking of importing :D
Delight

Postby Delight » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:34 pm

I breed early generation - SBT bengals at this time; so that is what I have been researching on importing; though I have done a bit of research into importing pure-species as I get a lot of requests from people in BC looking to adopt servals and other small exotic cats.

I believe even if you're going to go pick the cat up yourself and bring it into canada with you; the breeder still needs to apply for the export permit for the cat to leave the U.S.
Being that any breeder that is working with pure-species exotic cats needs to be USDA licensed to sell them, the breeder would need to be the one to file for the permit stating where the cat is coming from etc. I am guessing (though not 100% sure) as I personally don't breed any pure-species exotic cats - that the CITES will likely see what kind of standing the breeder has with their USDA license, for health concerns in crossing the boarder.

I also know at this time any hybrid (being bengals, savannahs etc) that has any Gogees cats in their background is not permitted to cross the U.S. boarder in any direction (being it leave the U.S. or coming into the U.S.) I am not 100% sure WHY this is, but I am looking into it further. So for anyone that wants to bring bengals or any other hybrid accross the boarder, it is important that they look into their cats pedigree to see if there's any Gogees lines in there - as they will likely get seized at customs and the breeder who applied for export permit will be fined.
Servalpoland

Postby Servalpoland » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:40 pm

I would like to have Serval as a pet in my near future. I'm from Poland and there are no servals for sale. Can anyone know if I could import one from US? And what about shipping?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:52 pm

While I wasn't selling the animals and they traveled with me when I brought my anteaters to Canada I had to call the Canadian CITES office to officially verify tamanduas do not require CITES. So for a species that does require it you will likely need to contact both US and Canadian CITES to be sure the paperwork is in order. You will also need a USDA certified health certificate. My vet filled out the health cert that I picked up from USDA then USDA verified I had everything else needed, like cites and then signed the paperwork too. Since the breeder is USDA and not the buyer they will need to do that as well as the CITES.

I didn't need an export permit from fish and wildlife since I was traveling with them but if I had handed them off to someone or sold them then I would have I think so the breeder will have something to do there as well.
amerz01

Postby amerz01 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:55 am

hello,i havent any exp.w/servals but alot of what ive read about caracals has seemed really off in comparison to mine,she has since passed due to a severe back injury and i was as close to that cat as i could ever be to a human being-idk the laws all over but i went to usda and cleared my inquiry on the kitten before paying the deposit and also called the biological person in charge of my area located in the states capitol city-then also had an attny read over the laws w/me as i wasnt risking purchasing a cat to have it taken from me! but in the state im in,servals are illegal caracals are not-so its different all over-as a cats personality!!altho no other animal will replace my girl-i want another caracal and wouldnt have another cat unless it was a secondary choice-caracals are amazing pets! you just have to be a true love of the breed accept they are still not like a typical house cat,be patient and really very DEDICATED!! she did well w/box training until she got injured!

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”