PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Some cat questions

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Realtree1

Some cat questions

Postby Realtree1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:52 am

So I'd like to get a small exotic cat one day and I'd love a serval, but the one draw back I've heard is that they don't like other new pets once they get older. I know this is for sure true of bobcats but is it so much for servals?

Also, if it is true for servals which, dispite me liking most everything else about them is kind of the cut off for me, are geoffoys as bad? I knw they are smaller so they aren't exactly a threat to anything new that was big but i know it would really stress the cat out.

And lastly, in savannah, safaris, and chausies does the first f generation really help their exceptance to new pets or does they take a while to put a damper on?
Delight

Re: Some cat questions

Postby Delight » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Each individual cat is different BUT from my experience working with exotic cats, once the cat is grown it does not redily except change OR new animals coming into the home that are of a different species. Geoffroys cats are JUST as bad (maybe worse) that servals. I have 3 geoffroys cats and a serval. My serval will hiss at the dogs but does not go out of his way to try and hurt them - unless they get too close then he'll give them a "boop" on the nose. The geoffroys on the other hand will staight up stalk dogs/children/anything that may look vulnerable (including you if you're not in tip top shape) and will go after them with vengance.... I have to watch myself around one of my female geoffs as she will get me if I'm not paying 100% attention and once she's got her little razor claws in me it's almost impossible to get away, I basically just have to go completely limp and not struggle and she'll do damage and eventually get bored and let go - but if I struggle she'll keep holding on digging her claws in deeper and deeper - she hooked my wrist about 4 months ago and I kid you not she put her claw all the way through the skin and had it poking out the other side... it was gross. Hand raised geoffs are typically food aggressive but once they're fed are pretty good with their humans. Both my hand raised geoffs are really sweet (most of the time) but they're aloof and are very bitey and will occasionally go batty for no reason what so ever and decide they want to get ya. Safaris are supposed to be super sweet, everyone I have talked to that breeds them says they're super sweet. I personally don't know a whole lot about F1 savannah/chausies as I have never been around them and they're not a breed I have ever tried to breed myself.
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Hm thanks for all the info. I didnt know geoffs were that intense.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Yeah I have to keep my Geoff completely separate from all other animals. I'm not even sure she would accept a male Geoff. The Serval doesn't like new animals but if they are large dogs or large cats he adjusts. I put my f1 savannah in with him in the fall and he was totally submissive to her. He ignored the goats that stick their noses through his pen

The Geoff has never been aggressive to me at all. A great pet if an only animal. I don't think she has ever even bitten me.
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:29 pm

How do you think a serval would be with a smallish dog around corgi size if raised with it?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:42 am

Probably fine if raised together. Always have a back up plan. Around 2 years of age they sometimes decide they don't like other animals anymore. No big deal though because serials really need an outdoor enclosure anyways.
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:33 am

Lasergrl wrote:Yeah I have to keep my Geoff completely separate from all other animals. I'm not even sure she would accept a male Geoff. The Serval doesn't like new animals but if they are large dogs or large cats he adjusts. I put my f1 savannah in with him in the fall and he was totally submissive to her. He ignored the goats that stick their noses through his pen

I see that you put your f1 savannah and serval together? Did you ever get any 75% f1 kittens? If so, How many did she have? When did your f1 start to show or gain weight with this litter?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:27 am

He is neutered since he was 6 months old. I actually got the serval first then got into savannahs later. Its usually the other way around I know. I never had much luck breeding savannahs. The f1 had only 4 litters and her last one was a failure to thrive. The f-2 had only 2 litters. The handfull of later generation ones were better. I lost an f-4 to a uterine prolapse. My f-1 adopted them and raised them thank god.
I gave up when they were around 8 years old. They just were not good at reproducing. I had about 6 different males and it didn't matter.
codycatz

Postby codycatz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:44 am

So glad you did breed my Samba though Lasergirl! She is a gem and a gorgeous girly girl.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:27 am

Thanks Mary! I think samba was one of the ones raised by my f-1 :)

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”