PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

kitten milk replacer?

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

macmanmatty

kitten milk replacer?

Postby macmanmatty » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Is this what everyone uses for exotics and f1's to hand feed them? OR is there a better option.
Lasergrl

Re: kitten milk replacer?

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:47 pm

I always used the milk matrix products. They are a lot more palatable too.
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:54 pm

which formula of milk matrix do you use? They have different fat protein ratios.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:10 pm

I believe it was the 33/40 and I got it from jeffers pet supply online.
Delight

Postby Delight » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:17 pm

I have always used KMR and haven't had any issues with it myself; but sometimes I will mix 1/2 KMR & 1/2 espilac as it keeps the kittens nice and rolly polly having a little extra fat content. I have found that most breeders who are hand raising EG cats tend to have their own way of doing it and their own preferences, you just have to find what works for you.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:10 pm

That milk matrix is just sooooo pallatable. I used to have issues with getting the kittens to switch over from dams milk to kmr, I never have any issues with the Milk Matrix and it smells sooo good. The little itty ones actually try and chew the nipple until they realize its a bottle.
Delight

Postby Delight » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:12 pm

I will maybe have to try this. Yes - I have had issues getting kitties to switch over as well, usually takes 4-5days after pulling until they're redily taking a bottle with the KMR. I think next time I may try the milk matrix and see how they do with it. That first few days after pulling for hand feeding is always SO nerve racking!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:34 pm

I have heard wildlife rehabilitators have had issues Pet Ag's KMR and Esbilac recently, as it was killing babies, and lots of them. I raised one raccoon on KMR and the second on Fox Valley, which I hear is what many rehabbers have switched to. They have several different formulas with different protein/fat compositions for various wild species. I believe it costs quite a bit less than KMR and Esbilac, especially since you can buy huge amounts of it at once.

The guy who runs it (Nick) seems a bit scatter-brained but is overall fairly friendly and helpful in my experience. I had some ordering and payment issues but they were resolved with communication. If I ever need critter formula again, I will buy Fox Valley from him (particularly since there doesn't seem to be many alternatives).

Upon looking up the Milk Matrix stuff, I'm personally skeptical since it's also made by PetAg. For that reason, I won't buy it.
Delight

Postby Delight » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:16 pm

The KMR/Espilac was killing some babies, mainly in smaller animals such as squirrels. The reason for that is because they changed the way they made the powdered KMR/Espilac and it was difficult to digest for some animals because it wasn't disolving properly when mixed with water; causing gas, bloating & constipation. I personally have never had this issue with cats, but it was definitely and issue when raising squirrels and I also switched to fox vally on the squirrels.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Ah, I still wouldn't trust it with any animal if it's killing some. Personal choice.

I didn't have much issue getting my coon to take to Fox Valley. Doesn't mean a cat would prefer it over KMR though.

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”