ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Pen Comparison

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

steel2790

Pen Comparison

Postby steel2790 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Although I posted a thread in the fox section not too long ago, this would be directly for my serval, so I was wanting to get a few opinions and share my thoughts on these two ideas for a new Pen.
http://www.dogkennelscenter.com/product ... e-It%21%29
or
http://www.lowes.com/pd_73854-1298-CL+6 ... Id=3685442

If i went with the one at lowes, I would buy 2 of the 6x10x10's for something in similar size as the one posted at the dogkennelscenter, which is a 10x20x6

The dogkennel one is welded wire as opposed to lowe's which is chain mesh.

Both are panels , which would allow for expansion on either in the future.

I realize welded wire should be more durable (although the serval is very passive and doesn't try to tear up the current pen anyways), but would getting two at lowe's be a viable option or would it not be sturdy enough? The current pen is composed of chain link and haven't had any troubles, but its time for a pen with the options of expansion PLUS the one at lowe's could be a local pickup.

If anybody cares to elaborate their opinions on either or comparison, it'd greatly be appreciated.
macmanmatty

Re: Pen Comparison

Postby macmanmatty » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:26 am

What would the pen be attached to at the base? I have a enclosure that is made from 11.5 gauge chain link fence but it is stapled every link where possible and connected to 2x4's on 2ft centers that are anchored to concrete slab. The fence is very tight. Although it does not hold a serval it holds my f1 savannah perfectly along with lower generation savannahs and chausies and soon will hold a f1 87%+ jungle cat hybrid (87%+ pure felis chaus). I think that 12 gauge chain link from lowes may work if it connected to something like concrete and 4x4 or 2x4 posts. Depending on your serval and where you live. But the welded wire looks MUCH more studier. Also remember that you need a top. I didn't see one included on either kennel.
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:32 am

I was going to use the same concept that he currently uses, chain-link covering all the bottom and use hardware to bolt/staple it connecting into the bottom of the pen with a similar concept above. Which would be chain link across the top and held down tightly with hardware.
My serval is so lazy and never tries to find an escape (although I would never put him in a pen without a bottom/top enclosure, that's just a common sense move)
So you think the Lowe's one would be fine?
It's not really the price difference, but with it being a local ordeal I feel like I could inspect it before setting it up and be easy problem to fix if there was any issues with it, however the price difference would make it extremely easy to constantly expand with it.
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:35 am

I think the lowes 12 gauge should be fine but I do not owen a serval so i would wait for others to chime in.
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:51 am

Yeah going to give it a couple days to see if anybody else has any feedback before putting in orders.
He's in chain link and I have 0 problems with it I am planning on setting it up similarly, I just like the panels better to allow expansion and more room.
Appreciate your feedback.
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Any other opinions before I make a decision/order in two days?
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:15 pm

The company that manufactures the panel's is 2hours away, so it's next day delivery for me and they took a day to get back to me so they are giving me a discount=)

Question. 11.5 gauge should be fine? or should I upgrade it again to 11gauge?

The serval has been fine with 12 but he'll have more room and want it to be over-all sturdy. I would assume 11.5 should be fine, but just getting any opinions.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:12 am

I would help, but I have no experience with fencing. :/
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:01 pm

I appreciate the attempt, but I got it all covered now.
Garfield's getting a 250 sq. foot kennel with the sides reinforced and in panels so it can always be expanded on in the future if needed=)
Delight

Postby Delight » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:56 pm

My serval's enclosure is made out of 6ftX6ft pannels to make a 24 X 12ft outdoor enclosure. I personally LOVE the panneled chain link because you can always expand more; expanding the chainlink is super easy. I personally use heavy gauge 1in mesh chicken wire on the top and zip tie it together really tight with the big sturdy zip ties. I have never had any issues with this method. For the bottom (because I don't like to use cement) I usually leave it open floored and dig about 6-8in into the ground for where my chainlink pannels are going to sit then I steak the edges down and back fill with gravel to hold it firm to the ground. My serval is around 45lbs (he's a big boy) and has been living in such an enclosure for 2yr now without any problems. :)
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:42 pm

I like your idea on the 1inch mesh of chicken wire on the top, its still durable but not as heavy as chain-link.
Also congrats on rescuing your new serval, how'd you hear about that one delight?

and 1 question to people, I'm looking into options for privacy to go along the back side of the kennel and also act against the wind/heat. I've used an appropriate sized tarp when it gets warm in the summer or when I initially got garfield, to give him privacy. But it has to be replaced after a few strong wind storms and whatnot, so I was looking at more durable solutions and seeing if anybody had any ideas/suggestions.

Basically, just looking for ideas/suggestions/links to more durable wind-blockers/privacy, something similar to a tarp but more durable, kind of like the black mesh that is used on tennis courts?
I'm still looking around and got some ideas bookmarked, just seeing if the community had any suggestions.
Delight

Postby Delight » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:48 pm

You can buy water proof canvas that they use to make aunings (sp?) out of. We bought a bunch here when we were making tents, I would imagine it would likely be pretty easy to get some of that hem the edges and insert gromets along the sides so you can tie it on or zip tie it; you may also be able to make a couple that over lap so you can take it apart and run it through the big commercial washing machines when it gets sprayed on too many times :roll:
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:53 pm

alright , i'll look into that.
far as a possible candidate, what do you think of these?
(the black ones on the side)
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... 59YgfigZpw

also, on the chicken wire top, do you just overlap and tie the chicken wire on top?
I like the fact its lighter so consider going this route, as opposed to chain link which has a heavy weight to it, but the bright side was it didn't require heavy patching to cover the top.
Delight

Postby Delight » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:34 pm

That wind sheild looks great! With the chicken wire top; yes I just over lap and zip tie as tight as I can get it. It takes a little practice to get it super tight but I'm good at it now LOL!

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”