PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Introducing Shasta the strange serval

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Delight

Introducing Shasta the strange serval

Postby Delight » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:18 pm

Over the past week end we added another serval to our menagerie. Shasta is a 1 1/2yr old female serval who has (in her 1 1/2yr life) gone through 4 different homes. I don't have a whole lot of history about this girl. I believe (from the info I got from her last owner) she was hand raised by an older gentleman, then sold to a couple in MN - from there she was sold to a couple in ID who kept her for a little over a month and decided she was not a good fit and sold her to me over here in WA. She's had a LONG trip to get all the way over here to the west coast. I can't believe what this girl has gone through in her short life. I will be her final home and she can enjoy the rest of her life here with lots of love and support.

Shasta is a bit of an odd ball; though it doesn't show up really clear in pictures and like most things of beauty you have to see them in person to really appriciate them. Shasta is a very light color, her spots on her back are "muted" which you can see in the pictures of her standing up by comparing the spots on her front legs (which are black) to the spots on her back which are frosty. Shasta has light colored patches of fur throughout her body almost like a dilute calico. She looks as though she's rolled around in a big pile of baby powder.

So without further ado here are some pictures of this lovely girl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Introducing Shasta the strange serval

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:22 pm

She's beautiful. I see what you mean about her spots being diluted. I've never seen a serval like that in all the pictures I've seen. I wonder if it's genetic and maybe something worth breeding for.

Poor little gal, having to go from home to home. I've heard that servals don't rehome very well, so she must have been so stressed out from all of that moving. I'm glad she's finally ended up with someone who will love and cherish her for the rest of her life.

Thanks for sharing.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Delight

Postby Delight » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Yes she's a bit of a strange girl. So so so beautiful though and she's really very sweet considering the fact that she's been rehomed so many times. It is either a genetic thing or a dietary thing but she doesn't seem to be exhibiting other symptoms of malnourishment; she's quite large and looks pretty healthy for the most part. Here are a couple pictures of her in front of my male serval Sevrign for contrast icon-smile
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Wow, what an interesting serval! She's really pretty! How is her temperament? You mentioned she's pretty sweet considering her many homes, does she let you touch her? Enjoy human contact?
Delight

Postby Delight » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 pm

She will let you touch her a little bit; though she doesn't like it much. She has only been here for a few days so I want to give her time to settle in before I push bonding. She's never been outside before so it's a LOT to take in. She likes men better than women but she lets me sit quitely in her enclosure and will take food gently from my hands.
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:32 pm

I'm sure she will love her new home with a little time.
I like the faded pattern.
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 am

great looking serval delight! i'm glad that she has found a good home.
codycatz

Postby codycatz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:20 pm

She is quite lovely! That she can be outside I believe will be the ticket to her being a very happy girl. Good for you for giving her a home!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:13 am

That is one beautiful animal. Thankfully you two found each other :)
Delight

Postby Delight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:56 pm

After a week and a half of Shasta being here she has decided that she likes us fairly well. She will now approach me when I go into her enclosure and she will let me pet her and give her scratches under the chin. She is really a very beautiful sweet serval. I am very happy that she found me and I will get to share my life with her. I think with time she's going to settle right down and be a real lover.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sun May 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Wow, beautiful serval and amazing story! It's always great to hear about a serval still being social after being rehomed, let alone multiple times.

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”