PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Best cat to get?

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Yuri

Best cat to get?

Postby Yuri » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:56 pm

I am thinking of getting a small exotic cat. What is the most pet like small exotic cat?
Currently I have a house cat, small dog and lots of marine fish
Yuri

Re: Best cat to get?

Postby Yuri » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Today I phoned the local zoo. Thy told me it is illegal to keep a serval and caracal because it is a indigenous species (I live in South Africa )
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:06 pm

The best thing to do would be to look up the laws yourself. Lots of times zoos lie because they don't like the thought of a private individual keeping a "wild" animal as a pet.

To answer your question, a serval is what most exotic cat owners start off with. They're readily-available (at least in the US), and there are quite a few people who can keep them (therefore more info on them as pets). A bobcat is also commonly kept.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Yuri

Postby Yuri » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:45 am

Ash wrote:The best thing to do would be to look up the laws yourself. Lots of times zoos lie because they don't like the thought of a private individual keeping a "wild" animal as a pet.

To answer your question, a serval is what most exotic cat owners start off with. They're readily-available (at least in the US), and there are quite a few people who can keep them (therefore more info on them as pets). A bobcat is also commonly kept.

I found out I need a permit to keep one

I have only played with a caracal it was a female at a predator park
She was realy nice and soft ( like a house cat ) also gentle not using her nails
Yuri

Postby Yuri » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:04 am

After doing lots of looking up I do not even need a permit to keep a exotic cat
Yuri

Postby Yuri » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:20 am

After a lot of looking I found a breeder of Caracal and Serval cats
The servals are a lot more expensive about $2000
The caracals are $800

I was thinking of driving out there and looking at both cats personalitys then I will decide
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:32 am

Yuri wrote:After a lot of looking I found a breeder of Caracal and Serval cats
The servals are a lot more expensive about $2000
The caracals are $800

I was thinking of driving out there and looking at both cats personalitys then I will decide

That's a scam. I wouldn't meet with that person. You will never find a socialized exotic cat going for $800, and never a caracal.

$2000 is insanely cheap for a serval. Too cheap. Caracals are ALWAYS more expensive than servals.

Typical prices:
Serval: $3200 and up. Maybe you could find something a little less if you looked long enough.
Caracals: $4000. Usually more expensive.

Prices for servals and caracals have been going up over the years. So they may even be more expensive than those prices I listed. Some caracals I've seen have gone for around $5000.

It's good you're doing your research, but I think if you're still trying to decide between a serval and a caracal you definitely haven't researched enough. Servals and caracals are not the same. Caracals are more difficult to keep and more moody, and I don't think are generally recommended for people without prior exotic cat experience.

Keep in mind that if you get one of these animals, you must keep it its entire life, even if it turns out to be unsociable. Exotic cats, especially servals, do not rehome well at all. A member here said that she would rather euthanize her serval than put it through the stress of rehoming.

I don't want to be discouraging, but I'm just trying to help. I'm not feeling my best right now, so I might come across more blunt than I usually want to. So sorry if I come off patronizing or anything; that's really not my intent at all, and I apologize. I just want to help. But please do as much research as you can, and speak to reputable breeders. Research standard prices, find the good breeders (even if they are more expensive), and be sure to set up a great enclosure. If you want, you can ask serval questions and we can talk about them. :)

I haven't owned a serval but I've read a lot about them from owners. I really like them too, but despite having worked with exotics and having owned a red fox for almost three years, I do not consider myself even close to ready to owning an exotic cat. They are a whole new ball game.

Anyway, like I said, I don't want to be discouraging at all. I just want to encourage you to know everything you can prior to bringing a kitten home, for both you and the kitten's sake. ;) Part of that research includes finding reputable breeders and knowing standard pricing so you avoid being scammed.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:06 am

Forgive me if you have done research on the prices of small cats in South Africa, Ash. But what would be considered a "give away" price here, may well be high in a region where they are common. Aside from that if Yuri is interested in these animals, the more people that own them he talks to the better off he is.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:15 am

Reply with quote Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:06 am
Forgive me if you have done research on the prices of small cats in South Africa, Ash. But what would be considered a "give away" price here, may well be high in a region where they are common. Aside from that if Yuri is interested in these animals, the more people that own them he talks to the better off he is.

Sorry, Yuri if I came off as discouraging. I reread what you wrote, and I completely missed that you were from Africa. Sorry about that. In that case, Trefoil is right, the prices you found may very well be correct.

In America, the UK, Canada, or Russia, servals and caracals are WAY more expensive than that. Like I said, I totally missed you were from Africa, lol. I have no idea about price ranges down there. I'd really like to hear your experience with this breeder.

If hand-reared kittens are that cheap down there, it might be cheaper for an American to have one imported than buy in the US.

Sorry if I came across as blunt. I really wasn't feeling well yesterday, so I probably should have refrained from posting until I was feeling better, or at least reread the previous posts made prior. Hope there are no hard feelings.

Have a great day, and be sure to let us know what you find out. :)
Yuri

Postby Yuri » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:01 am

Ash wrote:
Reply with quote Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:06 am

Sorry, Yuri if I came off as discouraging. I reread what you wrote, and I completely missed that you were from Africa. Sorry about that. In that case, Trefoil is right, the prices you found may very well be correct.

In America, the UK, Canada, or Russia, servals and caracals are WAY more expensive than that. Like I said, I totally missed you were from Africa, lol. I have no idea about price ranges down there. I'd really like to hear your experience with this breeder.

If hand-reared kittens are that cheap down there, it might be cheaper for an American to have one imported than buy in the US.

Sorry if I came across as blunt. I really wasn't feeling well yesterday, so I probably should have refrained from posting until I was feeling better, or at least reread the previous posts made prior. Hope there are no hard feelings.

Have a great day, and be sure to let us know what you find out. :)

I know you only want what is best for the cats

I have played with a caracal that was in a cage at a predator park it was really friendly

Then the other day i was on a game drive in a game reserve the lady had a serval that she had from when the cats eyes was still closed it was not that friendly ( i got the feeling it was scared of now people but the owner was caring her even in his arms )

I will go to the breeder and look at how her breeding pair reacts then decide

I will buy a house the end of next year then I will set up a proper holding place then I will get a exotic cat
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Sounds great. Keeps us updated and let us know how things work out. :) It'll be great once you move into your own house. Are you planning on getting a kitten this year then?
Yuri

Postby Yuri » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:54 am

Ash wrote:Sounds great. Keeps us updated and let us know how things work out. :) It'll be great once you move into your own house. Are you planning on getting a kitten this year then?

No I first want every thing set up properly before I buy a kitten
Lol only tire kicking for now
Yuri

Postby Yuri » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:14 am

After sum more looking for breaders. I found a privet zoo that sale the cats
I can get a bodcat there for about $3000 and a ocelot for $8000

I am thinking of rather getting the Ocelot
What is every once experiance with them?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:58 pm

You wont likely find anyone with experience on them. Ocelot's are listed as endangered here so can't be had without an impossible to get license. They used to be common before that stupid law though which means it actually hurt their numbers by greatly decreasing their captive population.

I think they had a reputation for being fairly moody even though common.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Yuri wrote:After sum more looking for breaders. I found a privet zoo that sale the cats
I can get a bodcat there for about $3000 and a ocelot for $8000

I am thinking of rather getting the Ocelot
What is every once experiance with them?

Ocelots are beautiful animals. From what I have read though, TamanduaGirl is right about being moody. I've read about some cat handlers that had been attacked by their ocelots and put in the hospital--but I don't know if their cats were hand-raised, or what. I'm sure they could be good pets if you understand the risks, and they would definitely be a unique animal. I'm sure if you wound up getting an ocelot people here wouldn't leave you alone and would want to see pictures every day, lol. :lol:

According to most exotic cat owners (at least on the facebook groups) bobcats are great starter exotic cats. They are very easy to read apparently. Also owners said they aren't typically a "one-person" type of cat like servals are, and are therefore a lot more social. I personally like servals better, just because they look more exotic with the spots and stripes, but that's me.

Hopefully you'll be able to decide which species you want. :)

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”