PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Lynx or Bobcat?

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

NoirIKnight

Lynx or Bobcat?

Postby NoirIKnight » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:11 am

I'm curious which would make the better pet? A candian or siberian lynx or nw bobcat. I have followed the exploits of Benji the bobcat(great videos by the way), but I'm not sure if benji is the exception or the norm?
Any pros and cons for the above cats would be appreciated.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lynx or Bobcat?

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:54 pm

I am not a bobcat or lynx owner, but I know that Benji's owner hasn't been on here for a while, so he may not see this thread. I'll give you my two cents, whatever it's worth. ;) Hopefully he'll see this thread and give you a better reply.

I've read about peoples' experiences with both, so that's all I'm going off of. I think the appeal of bobcats is that they are very transparent with their moods and easy to read. If they're getting upset, they'll let you know. They also seem more common in the industry--that may be because they are more readily available, or because they make better pets. Lynx, depending on subspecies, can also vary in price and be more expensive.

Size-wise, there isn't going to be a difference since the northern species of bobcats get as big as a lynx. So containment and handling requirements should be about the same.

There are several youtube videos of pet lynx, and they seem nice. Maybe look them up and try to compare the behaviors yourself. It might give you a better idea of the subtle differences.

This breeder could probably give you the differences, though they say that both bond very strongly and can make good pets. http://www.bobcatsmt.com/ If you email her, post what you find out. I would very much like to learn more too. :)

PS, I like lynx because I love their huuuuuge feet.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:24 pm

Someone my mom was in a band with quite a few years ago breeds Canadian Lynx (he's USDA licensed). I know he charged $1,500 for them before, but I'm not sure if he still sells/breeds them now. I can image they're somewhat friendly, but I really don't know much about either. Hopefully someone more versed in those kind of cats can help you out :)
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
NoirIKnight

Postby NoirIKnight » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks for the insight Ash. I had actually talked to that particular breeder several times in the past. She steered me towards the bobcat, stating the Lynx become reclusive and unpredictable as they age. Even more interesting is that I know a lynx owner who got her lynx from this same breeder and swears by her lynx. This owner also has bobcats and finds them more "hissy"? Sooo that lands me back at square one. lol
Thanks Juska, I wonder if that breeder is still operating?

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”