HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PLEASE READ THIS REGARDING TOXIC DOG FOOd viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1463

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 (with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.) FREE TO USE.
(PLEASE USE THE LINK ABOVE, YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

Persian Sand Cats

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

cosmicpixiedust

Persian Sand Cats

Postby cosmicpixiedust » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:09 am

Hello! I was just wondering if it is legal to own one of these beautiful creatures. Pardon if this has been posted before, is in the wrong place, or just is a silly question..I am very new here. :) I live in Tennesse, United States. I tried to do some Googling, but didn't really get anything useful.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Persian Sand Cats

Postby Ash » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Sand cats are legal in the US, but as for the Persian subspecies, I think those are illegal to import. So you wouldn't be able to own those here. But a sand cat of a different subspecies or a mixed subspecies would be okay. The problem is there are no sand cat breeders in the US. The only known breeders are from Czeckoslovakia (spell?), but theirs are inbred and have health problems now. A member here got one from them some years back but it died from an inheritable illness at only 6 months I believe. You may see sand cats for sale in the UK, but they all have the same blood as the ones from Czeckoslovakia, and therefore have the same inbreeding issues.

A member here (hasn't been on in a while) from the UK owns a sand cat and was hoping to get theirs to breed with a domestic cat, but so far, no luck. They have had theirs for a couple of years I think, and theirs is still alive and healthy. They just probably wouldn't want to breed it to another sand cat unless there were fresh genes available.

I don't know the laws for Tennessee. We have a forum for the legalities on here, so hopefully that will help you out. But I thought that I could at least help you out with the legalities of the US. Chances are you will not be able to get one in the US as a pet, and if you did, it probably wouldn't be healthy.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
cosmicpixiedust

Postby cosmicpixiedust » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:49 am

Thank you so much for all the helpful info! It's most likely a dream of mine that will not happen, but if I ever got the money to properly take care of an semi exotic animal I think I would definitely choose one of these. Just curious, but a sand cat would be considered a domestic cat hybrid..right? I know that sounds like a stupid question (and may be), but I'm just wanting to make sure it wouldn't be considered an exotic/wild cat still. I'm not really familiar with the laws, I would need to do some very serious reading if I were to ever get one. If I ever got one, it would be bred with a domestic cat, if I were to find someone who was able to successfully do that.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:02 am

No, sandcats are definitely not considered domestic cats or hybrids. They are their own species, exotic and wild--just as much their own species as a tiger is. ;) Exotic cats can be very difficult to keep, even the small ones. Don't be fooled by size. Even a small wild animal can inflict injury--especially an exotic cat. They're a whole new ball game, and I don't recommend exotic cats to someone without previous exotic animal experience. Maybe look into foxes or raccoons since they are easier to keep and more readily available. Foxes can be great pets if you know their needs and have done your research in advance.

Finding someone who breeds sand cat hybrids is going to be very tricky--mostly because there is nobody out there doing it. Exotic cats can also be very vicious during the mating process, so it can be risky getting one to breed with another sand cat let alone a domestic cat. Another interesting issue with breeding a sand cat with a domestic that was brought up in a different thread here is the head size difference. If the domestic cat was the female (which would be ideal so you could pull the babies early without difficulty) then you would have to make sure it was a large enough female that it could pass the offspring's head through its body safely during birth (sand cats have big, square blocky heads and the babies might inherit that).

It would be cool if someone out there was producing sand cats hybridized with domestics though. That would be a neat-looking animal.

Have you considered looking into other hybrid cats, like a savannah or a bengal? They can make very good pets. Savannahs are serval X domestic, and bengals are Asian-leopard-cat X domestic. The lower generations further removed from their exotic ancestors are commonly kept. Here's some pics, if you're interested in those. :)

Savannah: http://www.tica.org/public/breeds/sv/intro.php
Bengal: http://www.tica.org/public/breeds/bg/intro.php

Hope that helps. :) As always, do as much research as possible and look up your state and local laws prior to bringing any animal home. Oh, and also no questions are stupid. People ask questions to learn, so never be afraid to ask something. We're all learning here and it helps everyone. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”