PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Boyfreind wants a cat, I want an exotic....

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

s.iker

Boyfreind wants a cat, I want an exotic....

Postby s.iker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:21 pm

So, as many may know, im determined to get a fox.. Well right now, that is something that i cannot do
Well... My Boyfriend wants a cat.. (and me being a dog person myself, i want a wolf, coyote, or a mix of those with a dog) however, i would be more open to an exotic big cat if that is something we can do...

what would be a good starter, or best for indoors? I am fond of bobcats, or even the Savannah cats are pretty neat, i just dont know where i should start to research.

what are your suggestions..
i live in Wisconsin, if that will help with law wise...
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Boyfreind wants a cat, I want an exotic....

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:38 pm

Exotic cats are in a field of their own compared to foxes and other canines. They can inflict lasting damage. So it is very important to learn as much as you can before bringing one home (but I'm sure you'd do lots of research :icon-wink: ).

Starting with a hybrid would probably be the easiest way to ease into exotic cat ownership. You get part domestic, part wild that way. But if you want to start with a pure exotic, I've been told by cat owners I'm friends with on facebook that it would be best to start with either a bobcat or a serval. But most agreed that the bobcat was the better "beginner" of the two.

So going off what they said (since they are very experienced owners), I'd say either hybrid or bobcat. Though I do know that many people start out with servals and do fine too.

One thing I'll caution though, is buying an animal with a boyfriend. Decide prior to bringing it home who legally owns the animal, and who will take the animal if things don't work out. There have been quite a few members here who hadn't decided this, and the couple "shared" the animal, only to break up and no longer be able to have contact with their animals. It's very sad and hard, so be sure that you decide beforehand who the animal actually belongs to.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Here's Wisconsin's laws. ;) It looks like you can have exotic cats as long as you meet the pen requirements and get a permit. http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9056

You mentioned that you liked canines. I have heard from owners of cat hybrids that they can be very "dog-like"--play "fetch," like water, seeks attention. A savannah or a bengal could be really nice. The more wild percentage though, the more expensive they'll be. A 75% was being sold for $15,000 (this was the offspring of an F1 savannah X serval).
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
s.iker

Postby s.iker » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Thanks ash. For the BF ownership part, any animal that we get belongs to the person who paid for it. I wont split or have an expensive animal gifted to me from a bf anymore, So no matter what, expecially with an exotic, i would be the set owner. (i know what you mean, i went through with that with my ex, and he kept my dog that was a gift to me out of spite, just cause he was an A**H****) So i wont be dealing with that again if we ever would break up.

I of course will do into research before i obtain an exotic :D ahhah you know me too well.. But i just didnt want to start looking into something that may be over my limit for a newbie. A bob cat would be cool, however, i just looked at it, and im not fond of their face actually.. lol.. i would have to give them regular hair cuts.. Lol I did read about a Savannah cat, but i wasnt sure about the F1 thing quite yet... A hybrid would prolly be the best for me, but im not sure where to start..
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 pm

While I'm certainly not disputing Ash's info, I always got the impression that the best beginner exotic cat was a serval. Maybe it's just personal preference?

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”