PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

what is the easiest exotic cat to own?

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

LuckyStar

what is the easiest exotic cat to own?

Postby LuckyStar » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:27 pm

I know that exotic cat is not easy to own but I just want to know what is the easiest one to keep.
GitaBooks

Re: what is the easiest exotic cat to own?

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:44 pm

Hmmm... each one is an individual, so that would be hard. If we aren't counting hybrids (such as the Bengal or Savannah) then I hear the Geoffroy's is suppose to be a nice cat. Small, gorgeous, and fairly available. As with all wild cats, they may be prone to spraying, but their smaller size means making an outdoor run for them is much easier. : )
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:48 pm

I've read that serval or bobcat are the easiest to start with, just because they're transparent with their moods. This is excluding hybrids, of course. I don't know too much about the Geoffroy's, but if Gita's heard that than I'm assuming their temperament is pretty good too.

Exotic cats are a step up from other exotics. Definitely above the level of foxes and raccoons. I wouldn't suggest one for the inexperienced/first-time owner.

A hybrid cat would be a good thing though, a savannah or bengal. They're exotic enough without the danger and problems that come with owning a pure exotic.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:44 am

I've heard that bobcats are the best, although they're larger and heavier than a serval and could do more damage to you.

I think getting some real life experience with the species of exotic cat you want would be best. Maybe you could find an owner of one and ask to come visit and learn from them.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:33 pm

"Easy" is kind of subjective. People who enjoy exotic cats are enthusiastic and willing to do more to provide for the animal than a regular pet owner. There is a degree of sacrifice you have to make when committing to own any exotic animal, over a "normal" pet like a cat or dog. They are much more work in many aspects. I would not recommend choosing an exotic animal based on how "easy" it is to own... Kind of like asking which high-powered sports car is the cheapest, when you've only ever driven a Honda Fit.

Exotic cats are not like domestic cats or hybrid breeds. Like I said before, maybe look into breeds of domestic cat that have a little more personality/energy/needs than a typical cat. They aren't just a cat you can keep in your house and not pay much attention to like other, more "relaxed" breeds of cat. Many of them require or do best with an outdoor enclosure they can access. You probably wouldn't want to have a loose bobcat in your house 24/7.

Jumping in with an exotic cat or even a hybrid with little to no experience can be a bad situation for both cat and owner. Talking to breeders and owners will give you a better idea of what to expect with each respective animal.

Here are a few domestic breeds that are a little more "out of the ordinary" than a regular cat:
Abyssinian (a high energy breed)

Somali (considered to be a long-haired version of the abyssinian)

Ocicat (no wild ancestry)

And keep in mind, even breeds of domestic cat such as the ones I mentioned above will run you a good sum of money, let alone an exotic.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
LuckyStar

Postby LuckyStar » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:43 pm

I think I am going to go with a hybrid what are some nice hybrids other then Bengal and Savannah
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Try Google, I guess?
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:33 pm

I think a hybrid is the way to go. Good choice. Especially if you haven't had experience keeping mammals before? You only mentioned reptiles in the other thread.

Chausie (jungle cat)
Serengeti (type of lower content bengal)

That's pretty much it.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Savannah - Serval x Domestic
Caracat - Caracal x Domestic
Safari - Geoffroy's x Domestic
Chausie - Jungle Cat x Domestic
Bengal - Leopard Cat x Domestic

Fishing cat mixes also exist but are very rare. Caracats tend to be as well. Despite claims, I don't think any Bobcat hybrids exist, though the Pixie Bob (a domestic cat) looks an awful lot like one! They did genetic testing and there was no sign of Bobcat in them.
LuckyStar

Postby LuckyStar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:27 pm

F2 Bangel vs F2 Savannah which one should I get.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:55 pm

From what I have heard Bengals tend to be calmer. I'm not sure health wise which one is better. F2 is still pretty early, and early hybrids can have a few health issues due to incompatible genetics.
Both are gorgeous though!!! I've always been partial to the Bengal rosettes. : )
LuckyStar

Postby LuckyStar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:50 pm

what is the difference between an f1 savannah and a servel?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:39 pm

An F1 savannah is the offspring of a domestic cat x serval. And a serval is an small exotic cat species.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
LuckyStar

Postby LuckyStar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:03 am

I guess that an F2 Savannah is on my wish list.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:20 am

F1 is Serval x Domestic Cat
F2 is an F1 crossed with a Domestic Cat
F3 is an F2 crossed with a Domestic cat
.... And so on. Basically it's just diluting the Serval genes. Generally early generations are larger with more serval traits, which is gorgeous, but can also have some of their behavior problems like spraying.

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”