Sand Cats

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Sand Cats

Postby tombraiderwes » Fri May 14, 2010 8:58 pm

Okay, so I just discovered Sand Cats. I have had Bengals, Fennec Foxes, etc. and before I get my hopes up, I wanted to know is there any way to adopt one of this little cuties???

:bear :bear :bear

Wesley
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri May 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Well, yes, if you can find them.

I searched for years. Finally found a breeder and importer in Czech republic. She cost me around $6,000 total for everything. She died about 6 month later because she was inbred. She inherited a rare auto immune disease. I havent found one since, but I would not pay for one again knowing how terribly small the captive gene pool is. Well, maybe a wild caught kitten.
She was handraised but not social at all. Very difficult to handle and was aggressive to other cats. Her mannerisms were more reptile then feline.

Here is my deceased sandcat:

http://www.exoticcatz.com/photoalbum/th ... p?album=21
Last edited by Lasergrl on Sat May 15, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Fri May 14, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm so sorry about your loss :(

I am sure you were a great owner. I would never adopt one from another country unless I was able to socialize them and obtain them at a small age, because I would be worried about temperament. I wish people knew about them more so they wouldn't be so threatened.

If they were more popular, breeders would jump on it and help raise the populations back up. It looks like we also have our love of Fennecs in common!

:bear :bear :bear
Wesley
cabindave

Re: Sand Cats

Postby cabindave » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:00 am

Sand cat be difficult to find because in Africa the Sand Cat is only found in the Sahara. There are other populations in Asia, including Afghanistan. So if you are planning to get it its a little bit expensive.
kent24

Postby kent24 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:01 am

i hav a male coming and am waiting on a female being born :) not easy to get hold of at all! ven less so in UK where i live :(
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:41 am

as difficult as they are to find, believe it or not it is easier to get them in the UK. I had one but she died of a congenital disease at 1 year.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:00 pm

I know at the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City, Utah they have a sandcat. It was really cute. If anyone is interested in sandcats, it may not hurt to call up a zoo and ask where they got theirs.

Kent, that's really great! Once you get your male I would absolutely love to see pictures. They are definitely not a common thing in the pet trade. I'm excited for you! Can't wait until you get him!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Elina

Postby Elina » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Indeed they are often on offer in the UK but it always seems to be males which is the only reason why I have not bought one as I would really want to breed them seeing as the ones in the pet trade here are not very young and so not exactly friendly.
Every time I have found a female after a little digging I have found out it is somehow related to the males I have been looking at which sucks icon-sad.

Hope you have more luck Kent! If they have any 'spare' females in the litter could you let me know please? That would be so great!
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Mine had a disease that is often associated with inbreeding. She was a kitten and yet never was friendly so dont believe what you read about how wild ones are even tame.
I simply called her "sand cat" because giving her a name seemed too human. She was too wild a spirit it seemed wrong to impose a name on her. Thats may sound weird but you had to know her I guess.

Stripes

Postby Stripes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi there, I just joined up because i was reading this thread. Me and my partner have recently purchased a male sand cat. He seems to be in perfect health though I'm not 100% sure on his age. He's relatively tame as well, though he is timid.

Sorry to hear about your sand cat Lasergrl. I was wondering if you could tell me anything I should be looking out for in regards to his health? Do you think I should have him vet checked to be safe? He was a rather large purchase and I want to ensure he is in good health (also I love him to bits already!) He eats VERY well and is bright and alert. Any advice you could offer I would really appreciate as it's very difficult to find any information on keeping these animals in captivity.

Apparently he was captive bred in Saudi Arabia in 2010. Though the person who was selling him said he thought he may be older than this. Somebody had him shipped over for a private collection, not sure what happened but he then ended up for sale. I cant find out much about his bloodlines etc either.

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Its hard to remember because its been several year but I believe the trouble started around 10 months of age. I got her as a 6 month old. She just started losing weight, her appetite was gone, and she had diarrhea. It had happened once and fluids got her back to health, but once it happened again a couple months later there was no recovering her. She had lost all of her teeth on one side of her mouth within this time frame wich was very odd. No vets could figure out this symptom. Bloodwork indicated her immune system was attacking her red blood cells. I tried immune suppression therapy but nothing worked. She died on her way up to the hospital for what was supposed to be another fluid therapy.
I kind of wonder if she was always a bit odd. She never acted like any feline I ever have seen. Her movements and reactions were more reptile like. She would never make eye contact. I wonder if it was due to some problem with her inbreeding. My girl came from a private breeder near the Czech republic.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:55 pm

OMG, another sand cat?! Bethdascoyne, what's he like? Anything like the reptilian cat Lasergrl describes? How affectionate/independent is he compared to a domestic cat, or any other exotic species?

I'm super excited to hear about this! :mrgreen: :bear: ANYTHING interesting, please feel free to share!
Stripes

Postby Stripes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi vln_girl,
He's actually really charming, I've fallen for him completely. He will do anything for food! He eats an awful lot, i'm sure he would over eat if he was allowed to. He is shy, but will come up to you (especially for food) and will let you stroke him. Apparently he sort of purrs as well when he gets to know you. He has the personailty of a shy and very excitable domestic cat, with a lot more character. He will come up to you and will let you touch him, but will run off again as soon as he gets his mouse. I wouldnt describe him as reptilian, lol. I dont have any experience with other exotic cats, so i'm unsure what they are usually like.

Sorry to hear what happened Lasergrl, I'm actually terrified of something like that happening. I'm definitely going to get him insured. I've been looking at supplements for captive wild cats as I want to make sure he is getting all the vitimins etc that he needs.

I will be keeping a look out for a female though, but as they are very hard to come across I'm not getting my hopes up!

Beth
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi bethdascoyne,

Congratulations on your Sand Cat :mrgreen: ! Do you live in the USA? What breeder did you get your male from? How old is he? Does he live in your home? What do you feed him? Maybe you could post some photo's of him? Pretty please with sugar on top :mrgreen: !

The only two exotic cat vitamin supplements I can think of are: Oasis (I can not find the website for you sorry :( and that might be because I am spelling it wrong) and Wild Trax: http://www.wildtraxsupply.com/ ( Yes I found that one :lol: :roll: ).
amyers

Postby amyers » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:07 pm

If you are in the US, we use Nebraska Brand Meat Compleate. I don't like it near as much as the Oasis, but it is half the price. For the sand cat I would go with Oasis. Its a lot easier to justify the cost when you are feeding one small one instead of 26 larger ones.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”