https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Sand Cats

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Stripes

Re: Sand Cats

Postby Stripes » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:59 am

Hi all,
I tried to get some pictures but my camera died, so I've attached one that was sent to me by the seller before I went to view him. I'm not entirely sure who the breeder was, but I know he was probably imported. I found out about him by chance when asking the owner about buying a fennec fox. The owner was somebody who I had met before and works with lots and lots of exotics (he owns an exotic pet shop), we started talking and he mentioned that he had a sand cat.

I'm still building his enclosures, going to have a beautiful outdoor one and an indoor one that actually takes up about half of my lounge lol. He will also be allowed to roam around the house for a few hours a day at least. He is litter trained so that's a real plus. He's currently with the people selling him, I've paid deposit etc and will be collecting him when I've finished building. I've visited him a few times to see what he's like and to get used to handling him, and also to find out as much info as I can from the owners.

As I said before, not 100% sure on his age, he was apparently CB10, but one of the people who handles him says that he thinks he may be a little older, perhaps 2. I live in the UK, so getting supplements is quite difficult, but even if I cant get them he should be fine with a good diet. He eats morio worms, about 10 chicks a day and several mice, he also get's a large rat or something similar as a treat every so often. The people have tried him on cat food to see if would fill him up a little, but he wont touch the stuff! He doesnt drink water either, though they always leave water there for him, he usually just sprays it. What did you feed yours lasergrl?

I managed to give him a bit of a fuss yesterday, but he can let you know when he's fed up. He gives a little hiss or grumble. As soon as he was put back in his pen he tried to be really sweet in the hopes that he would be let out! Rubbing himself on the wire panels at the front and squinting his eyes at me and my partner. lol

He doesnt play with toys at all. I think that's a bit sad really as I quite enjoy buying things for my animals and seeing them appreciate it. lol

I'll get some youtube videos when his enclosure is built, we have picked him up and he has had some time to settle in to his new home :) We should be picking him up in around 4 weeks, hopefully sooner.

Beth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amyers

Postby amyers » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:43 am

He eats morio worms, about 10 chicks a day and several mice, he also get's a large rat or something similar as a treat every so often. The people have tried him on cat food to see if would fill him up a little, but he wont touch the stuff! He doesnt drink water either, though they always leave water there for him, he usually just sprays it. What did you feed yours lasergrl?

With that diet, he shouldn't need supplements, except maybe a little vitamin D, but outside time should cover that.

My bobcats go in their water too. We bought a feeding stand for large dogs and screwed into the floor so they couldn't spray in it. If you get the water above the tail you should be ok. We make ours stretch a little bit to make sure they can't spray.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
kermisracer

Postby kermisracer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:27 am

A sand cat, native to the arid regions of southern Africa, would rarely have access to water in the wild, so in this case there's no need to worry about him not drinking. You should offer him water, of course, but these cats actually do okay getting most of their fluids from their prey.

One way to entertain a cat who's not interested in toys is to give him objects that have new smells, such as fruit or vegetables. He may not be interested in those either, but it's worth a shot.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:08 am

My girl never drank. I fed chicks and mice. She also never played with toys. Are you i u.k?
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:11 am

Oh! Was he the Sand Cat male that was for sale in the pet store?

I recognize that picture and I talked to them but they wouldn't ship him :icon-frown:
Stripes

Postby Stripes » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 am

Hi,
Yes I am in UK Lasergrl.
tombradierwes, yes I think we are almost definitely talking about the same one, the reason they wouldn't ship him is mostly because they are all incredibly attached to him and wouldnt want to put him through the ordeal of travelling that far and then quarantine etc. Especially as they worked really hard spending time with him to get him more used to human contact.

Thanks for the tip kermisracer, I'll try that. Thanks :)

Amyers, Thats a great idea. I'll try that in his outdoor pen to see if it works :) thanks

I've just been outside and me and my partner are working on his pen. There's so much to think about! Like in his outdoor one, running the electrics for his heat lamps, and boxing in the wires, then we are paranoid of him escaping even through the most minute holes! Also wondering what roofing is best and where to place our double door system.
His inside one is going to be rather large so that's a big task aswell, we also want it panelled around the bottom so that he can't spray out of it as it's in our lounge. Then at the back it will be multi levelled with dens.
Do any of you have any tips in regards to enclosures?

Thanks
Beth
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am

They are also CITES II so the permit needed to ship him was probably more then they wanted to deal with. My importer actually was sent to prison for smuggling, because he forgot to sign one of the papers on an asian leopard cat. I would never want to get involved with that unless it was the recieving end.
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Lasergrl wrote:They are also CITES II so the permit needed to ship him was probably more then they wanted to deal with. My importer actually was sent to prison for smuggling, because he forgot to sign one of the papers on an asian leopard cat. I would never want to get involved with that unless it was the recieving end.

Actually I was told by the woman in charge of permits they are class III animals whereas Servals and larger cats are Class II. Not trying to argue, that's just what the woman ho signs all my class III permits told me.
Elina

Postby Elina » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:14 pm

bethdascoyne wrote:Hi all,
I tried to get some pictures but my camera died, so I've attached one that was sent to me by the seller before I went to view him. I'm not entirely sure who the breeder was, but I know he was probably imported. I found out about him by chance when asking the owner about buying a fennec fox. The owner was somebody who I had met before and works with lots and lots of exotics (he owns an exotic pet shop), we started talking and he mentioned that he had a sand cat.

I'm still building his enclosures, going to have a beautiful outdoor one and an indoor one that actually takes up about half of my lounge lol. He will also be allowed to roam around the house for a few hours a day at least. He is litter trained so that's a real plus. He's currently with the people selling him, I've paid deposit etc and will be collecting him when I've finished building. I've visited him a few times to see what he's like and to get used to handling him, and also to find out as much info as I can from the owners.

As I said before, not 100% sure on his age, he was apparently CB10, but one of the people who handles him says that he thinks he may be a little older, perhaps 2. I live in the UK, so getting supplements is quite difficult, but even if I cant get them he should be fine with a good diet. He eats morio worms, about 10 chicks a day and several mice, he also get's a large rat or something similar as a treat every so often. The people have tried him on cat food to see if would fill him up a little, but he wont touch the stuff! He doesnt drink water either, though they always leave water there for him, he usually just sprays it. What did you feed yours lasergrl?

I managed to give him a bit of a fuss yesterday, but he can let you know when he's fed up. He gives a little hiss or grumble. As soon as he was put back in his pen he tried to be really sweet in the hopes that he would be let out! Rubbing himself on the wire panels at the front and squinting his eyes at me and my partner. lol

He doesnt play with toys at all. I think that's a bit sad really as I quite enjoy buying things for my animals and seeing them appreciate it. lol

I'll get some youtube videos when his enclosure is built, we have picked him up and he has had some time to settle in to his new home :) We should be picking him up in around 4 weeks, hopefully sooner.

Beth

Awww you got the one from New World Exotics! icon_biggin.gif
I live in the UK too but I have the animals you enquired about (fennecs).
If you are not doing anything this weekend there is an exotics awareness day in Evesham: http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -17th.html
(Shameless plug I know hehe) If you wanted to come you could even bring your new kitty :icon-wink: .
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi bethdascoyne,

Wow he sure is one awesome cat!! Thank you for sharing all that information with us :). I now wish I lived in the UK so I could get a Sand Cat :mrgreen:. Hope you get your camera working soon.

Hi Lasergrl,

Does anyone you know breed them in the USA? Are they hard to breed? Like pure specimen to pure specimen. Did you get your female to make hybrids, if you do not mind asking.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:55 pm

hi wes. they are class ii this is Cites she is confusing that with floridas class system. CiTES is international. they are cites II just like servals due to them looking like acertain subspecies that is class I this goes for servals too. I actually did import one and was through the entire process. Definately alot of red tape but moreso on the shippers end.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:35 pm

I am typing this on my phone so excuse if it sounds short

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... II&ct=clnk
Stripes

Postby Stripes » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi all,
Lasergrl is right, they are CITES II. I had no idea how much paperwork it took to import/export though.

Hi Elina, I'm sure it would be fun, but it wouldnt be much fun for him if we were to bring him. He's terrified of meerkats and most other animals including skunks and ferrets, infact the only animals he isnt terrified of is the ones he thinks he may be able to eat! He doesnt even like the smell of other animals! He also doesnt like being around strange people/sounds etc and I would never want to put him in any situations that he may find really stressful. Thanks for the invite though hehe.

Hi cat person, there are 4 sub species of sand cat, I'm not sure which mine is. I've been told that I could have a DNA test to find out but the cost would be phenomenal! I have considered mating mine with a domestic cat to produce hybrids, though I'm not sure yet as to if I would want to do that or not. I'd be very worried about finding them the right homes, and also I'd probably want to keep them all! Though it's an idea that I may consider in the future, especially if we cant find a female for him.

Beth
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:25 pm

I forgot to mention that no, I dont know of anyone breeding them in the USA. I do know that a women in tampa has my old gals two sisters. I was planning to breed mine to a domestic untill a male could be found. I was planning to use singapuras as an outcross. The hybrid can only be called margarita cats since its catchy and its the latin name ;) Also, they have the same number of chromosomes as domestics so it should be quite easy in theory. Also the offspring should all be fertile due to this.
Most if not all sandcats in captivity (at least in USA) are the felis margarita harrisoni sub species.
sonandedentran

Postby sonandedentran » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:31 am

Hi, everyone! I came across this thread while searching for sand cats for sale in Saudi Arabia. I have relocated here & am having a hard time locating someone who can help me find a sand cat to buy. If you have bought a sand cat from an importer, could you share their info with me to find out where the animal originally came from? I would like, ideally, to find a very young sand cat & a fennec fox, both to use as wildlife ambassadors for educational programs. If you have any idea of how to contact breeders of either of these animals in Saudi or neighboring countries, please let me know!! Thanks so much!

Eden Tran
Feline Conservation Federation (www.felineconservation.org)

*I can be contacted directly at sonandedentran@yahoo.com.*

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”