PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Our Exotics

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

amyers

Our Exotics

Postby amyers » Mon May 09, 2011 3:38 pm

For those that don't know, my husband and I have a few exotic cats, so I thought I'd share pictures. We've got 2 bobcats, 2 servals, 1 Siberian Lynx, and 2 cougars. Those on the exoticcatz forum have probably seen a lot of these.

Two bobcats and servals at 2 weeks. From left to right: Lucy, Uga, Zulu. We raised Lucy and Uga ourselves from 9 days, and Zulu from 18 hours.

Zulu just before weaning at 7 weeks:

Lucy and 7 months:

Uga at about a year:

Recent Zulu:

Recent Lucy:
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
BEAGLEman

Re: Our Exotics

Postby BEAGLEman » Mon May 09, 2011 4:42 pm

They're beautiful. I want a bobcat too.
Proud Human to Piper the Beagle and Percy the Ferret
amyers

Postby amyers » Mon May 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Thank you. I had to break for class, and I'm about to break for homework. The other serval and the bigger cats will be up soon.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Mon May 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi Amyers,

Thanks for the photo's. I can not wait to see picture's of the rest of your cats. Please tell us stories about them when you have time. I have a ton of questions if you do not mind me asking them :mrgreen: ?

I love all the photo's please keep them coming icon_biggin.gif .
bajacalal

Postby bajacalal » Tue May 10, 2011 6:20 pm

I would like to see the cougar pics. These were great.
amyers

Postby amyers » Thu May 12, 2011 3:23 pm

cat person wrote:Hi Amyers,

Thanks for the photo's. I can not wait to see picture's of the rest of your cats. Please tell us stories about them when you have time. I have a ton of questions if you do not mind me asking them :mrgreen: ?

Ask anything you want icon_biggin.gif
amyers

Postby amyers » Thu May 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Here's Blysse our older serval.

She was rehomed originally because her first owner got pregnant and didn't want to have the cat and be a single mom. She gave her to a lady that already had another serval, but the two didn't get along. The sanctuary where my husband and I work found out about her and my husband adopted her from there. Once we got licensed at our house, we moved her home. She will be five in October.

She was being fed boiled chicken and nutri-cal when we got her. This was her first week at the sanctuary.

This was her about a year ago. She's plumped out nicely we think.

Marilyn is our female cougar. She will be three this month. She came from Vanishing Species Wildlife at 12 weeks old when they were closed down by the USDA. We were not aware of that fact at the time, my husband just wanted a baby cougar. She was not very well socialized, but has turned out very well. She loves my husband to death as he finished her bottle feeding. She will not let me in the cage, but I get lots of kisses through the gate. :mrgreen:

Obligatory baby picture.

About 7 months old. She used to be leash trained, but now eats the harnesses.

About 6 months ago.

Shakira is our 9 year old Siberian Lynx. We recently adopted her from the sanctuary. She came from a lady that needed some extra money and was selling her. She is not very friendly except when she is in heat.

The crumpled ear came from a fight with the other female lynx, Natasha. They are now separated.

amyers

Postby amyers » Thu May 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Thatcher isn't officially ours, but the director of the sanctuary has said that whenever we get our acreage, we can take him with us. My husband is one of only three people that can go in the cage with him, and the only one that can touch him. Yes, my husband is a cougar whisperer. Thatcher is a high-percentage Florida Panther. Actually, so is Marilyn, but not as high-percentage as Thatch is. Thatch came from a sanctuary that wanted to give him up due to his temperament.

Hero was a fur-farm breeder that the owner of the farm sold when it closed down. He isn't officially ours, but I have bonded very strongly to him, so I still think of him as my responsibility. I am the only one that has been able to touch him, but only when he is very distracted, and when I have been in the cage a long time. I am bonded much more strongly to him than he is to me. He is very skittish and hides whenever there is a tour.

Hero is upfront swatting at the boa.

Summer coat.

Natasha is the same as Hero. My husband is very strongly bonded to her, and she to him, so we think of her as our responsibility. She came from a zoo that closed down. She is the oldest of our bunch at 12.

BB

Postby BB » Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

You have wonderful animals and it is amazing what you and your husband do to rescue them. I'm curious to see how long your list of animals going to be when you get your acreage... icon_biggin.gif
amyers

Postby amyers » Thu May 12, 2011 11:01 pm

It won't be getting much longer, at least until the sanctuary owner retires. My husband is set to take on the place whenever he decides. We don't want to get so many we can't afford the ones we already have.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Fri May 13, 2011 12:32 am

They are all amazing. Just awesome creatures. :eleph:

I wonder, do the two bobcats show any stronger preference towards playing/snuggling with each other than Zulu? They were raised together; do they think she's just another bobcat?
amyers

Postby amyers » Fri May 13, 2011 8:33 am

They don't seem to have any trouble accepting her, but they were two weeks old when we introduced them. It's been about as good as we could hope for as Zulu is the dominant one of the three. Normally the bobcats play together, you can see one or the other sleeping with and cuddling Zulu while the other one stares out the window.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 13, 2011 12:11 pm

Blysse is stunning! She has such beautiful features and a really nice coat. I like her a lot. :mrgreen:

Your cougar is lovely as well. That would be great if you could get the land you need to house the other one on your property. It must be a great opportunity to be part of those cats' lives.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
amyers

Postby amyers » Fri May 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Thank you, Ash. Blysse is a pretty girl :mrgreen:

According to the state, we need at least five acres before we can move the cougars and the lynx. It will probably be a while before that happens though. As it is the owner is allowing us to keep them there as long as we need.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Fri May 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi Amyers,

amyers wrote:
cat person wrote:Hi Amyers,

Ask anything you want icon_biggin.gif

Well my first question is how did you get so lucky :lol: . I have worked with Bobcats, Lynx, Jungle cats and High percentage Jungle cat hybrids but never owned anything but domestics and an F3 Savannah.

My F3 Savannah has made "cat proofing" a home something like toddler and monkey proofing all rolled into one. Not to mention all the damage he has done to my home regarding breakables. Plus my little old F3 Savannah can never be left alone lose in the home. He is just way too destructive.

So what does your home look like with two Bobcats and a Serval in it :lol: ? I am sure you have "cat area" with an outdoor enclosure. But what does the indoor area of your home look like?

Lastly my Savannah so far knock on wood is completely litter box trained/reliable. I know wild cats spray/pee all over. I just want to know if your home smells like urine. I have 3 domestics and a F3 Savannah and am always cleaning litter boxes. So I can not imagine what your clean up is like. Care to tell me :cool: ?

Thanks for all the photo's and stories I loved them all. Please keep them coming. Also are Lynx less friendly then Bobcats if you get them as a kitten and you spend a lot of time with them? The reason I ask is I have always wanted a Canadian Lynx. But I would want to get him as a kitten and bottle feed him.

How do your exotics and domestics get along? All the exotic cats I have worked with got along with the domestics. My Savannah gets along with my domestics but he is very rough with them. Like chasing them and stuff. But when he is calm he licks and loves on all of them :roll:

Sorry for the long post and thanks again icon_biggin.gif :mrgreen: .

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”