PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Our Exotics

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

amyers

Re: Our Exotics

Postby amyers » Sun May 15, 2011 10:42 am

cat person wrote:So what does your home look like with two Bobcats and a Serval in it :lol: ? I am sure you have "cat area" with an outdoor enclosure. But what does the indoor area of your home look like?

Most of our home is pretty torn up, but that is more from a headstrong dog than the exotics. They have the front half of the house as their enclosure, and they don't go in the rest of the house. Their room is very torn up. They put holes in the walls that we've had to repair, and the went through a peeing in their water/spilling it all over the floors phase that did a real number on the flooring. We actually don't have an outdoor area yet because their indoor area is so big (about 600 s.f.). We are about to start fencing in a tucked in corner of the front yard, but we need the city's approval first.

Lastly my Savannah so far knock on wood is completely litter box trained/reliable. I know wild cats spray/pee all over. I just want to know if your home smells like urine. I have 3 domestics and a F3 Savannah and am always cleaning litter boxes. So I can not imagine what your clean up is like. Care to tell me :cool: ?

We have been incredible lucky with spraying. The only one we have seen spray is the serval, so the urine smell isn't very bad in their room. They do pee outside the litterbox (well, Zulu does), and we go in there and spray Odo-ban and Clorox-clean up on the urine spots.

The clean up isn't too bad, as most of what was in there has been destroyed. We scoop the litter every day, clean up whatever pee isn't in the box, and pick up bits of uneaten food. All the windows to their room have cainlink panels covering them, and they get opened about an hour a day to let the room air out a bit.

Thanks for all the photo's and stories I loved them all. Please keep them coming. Also are Lynx less friendly then Bobcats if you get them as a kitten and you spend a lot of time with them? The reason I ask is I have always wanted a Canadian Lynx. But I would want to get him as a kitten and bottle feed him.

I have never bottle-fed lynx, and I don't have any experience with Canada Lynx. icon-sad I have heard that Canada lynx are more aloof than bobcats, but I can't say from my own experience. I wish I could, we would love to be able to get a Canada Lynx one day.

How do your exotics and domestics get along? All the exotic cats I have worked with got along with the domestics. My Savannah gets along with my domestics but he is very rough with them. Like chasing them and stuff. But when he is calm he licks and loves on all of them :roll:

Ours don't get along with the domestics, but they weren't raised with them. Lucy and Blysse want to eat them, and Uga plays too rough. He is our escape artist and has gotten into the rest of the house more than the others, and has never shown any desire to hurt the domestics, but the dogs are a different story :lol:. Zulu is so docile, she probably could, but we decided we couldn't stand the bobcats' faces if she got to come in the rest of the house, and they didn't.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon May 16, 2011 12:43 am

Your cats are lovely, thanks for the pictures.
autumnrose

Postby autumnrose » Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 am

Beautiful cats all of them. Love the pics.
Love and we have happiness and tears

Current pets:
Rats: Alice, Amiele, Amanda, Orin, Claire
Bunny: Gimli
Chinchilla: Peekaboo
Cats: Roundabout, Little Bit, Peppi
Turtle: Squirtle
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Mon May 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi Amyers,

amyers wrote:Most of our home is pretty torn up, but that is more from a headstrong dog than the exotics. They have the front half of the house as their enclosure, and they don't go in the rest of the house. Their room is very torn up. They put holes in the walls that we've had to repair, and the went through a peeing in their water/spilling it all over the floors phase that did a real number on the flooring. We actually don't have an outdoor area yet because their indoor area is so big (about 600 s.f.). We are about to start fencing in a tucked in corner of the front yard, but we need the city's approval first.

What type of flooring did you have? What type of flooring do you have now/recommend for ease of cleaning and is fairly urine proof? They have a nice big "living area" so who needs an outdoor enclosure.

amyers wrote:We have been incredible lucky with spraying. The only one we have seen spray is the serval, so the urine smell isn't very bad in their room. They do pee outside the litterbox (well, Zulu does), and we go in there and spray Odo-ban and Clorox-clean up on the urine spots.

The clean up isn't too bad, as most of what was in there has been destroyed. We scoop the litter every day, clean up whatever pee isn't in the box, and pick up bits of uneaten food. All the windows to their room have cainlink panels covering them, and they get opened about an hour a day to let the room air out a bit.

Well lets hope my Savannah does not take after your Serval Zulu :lol: . Is your Serval very destructive? My Savannah sure is :roll: . He has his own room for when I am at work or can not be directly supervised :mrgreen: :shock: .

Thank you for the information on clean up :mrgreen: . I hope I never need to use it :lol: . What type of litter and litter boxes do you use? I am glad my Savannah is small or I would need your window set up. Since if I opened up a window he would be threw the screen in seconds icon-sad :roll: .

amyers wrote:I have never bottle-fed lynx, and I don't have any experience with Canada Lynx. icon-sad I have heard that Canada lynx are more aloof than bobcats, but I can't say from my own experience. I wish I could, we would love to be able to get a Canada Lynx one day.

Thank you very much for the honesty. I have heard that they are more aloof then bobcats. But I have only talked to a handful of people with Canadian Lynx. So who knows, I guess one day I may find out :cool: ?

amyers wrote:Ours don't get along with the domestics, but they weren't raised with them. Lucy and Blysse want to eat them, and Uga plays too rough. He is our escape artist and has gotten into the rest of the house more than the others, and has never shown any desire to hurt the domestics, but the dogs are a different story :lol:. Zulu is so docile, she probably could, but we decided we couldn't stand the bobcats' faces if she got to come in the rest of the house, and they didn't.

I wonder if my Savannah who is crazy hyper active would be okay with a Canadian Lynx since they would be raised together. My Savannah drives my poor domestics crazy when he is being a hyperactive nut. But he never shows aggression towards them. When the domestics have had enough they will chase him, which is funny to watch.

I am guessing Lucy and Blysse are the bobcats? No wait Uga is a Bobcat. So now I am confused, what species are Bysse and Lucy? I know my Savannah if he was bigger would be like your Uga is with domestic cats.

Lastly do your domestics spray the area around where your exotics are kept? That is what scares me the most about an exotic cats, having my domestics and Savannah possibly spray :roll: !

Thank you again for answering my questions and sorry for the long post again :mrgreen: .
amyers

Postby amyers » Thu May 19, 2011 8:45 am

What type of flooring did you have? What type of flooring do you have now/recommend for ease of cleaning and is fairly urine proof? They have a nice big "living area" so who needs an outdoor enclosure.

The flooring was hardwood, that had not been finished, so we weren't too attached to it, but it has started to bow up where they kept spilling their water. I would say tile would be the best, and maybe linoleum if it was unbelievably stuck down.

Well lets hope my Savannah does not take after your Serval Zulu :lol: . Is your Serval very destructive? My Savannah sure is :roll: . He has his own room for when I am at work or can not be directly supervised :mrgreen: :shock: .

Thank you for the information on clean up :mrgreen: . I hope I never need to use it :lol: . What type of litter and litter boxes do you use? I am glad my Savannah is small or I would need your window set up. Since if I opened up a window he would be threw the screen in seconds icon-sad :roll: .

Zulu isn't terribly destructive other than the peeing thing, but she is pretty small for a serval, and there's noting in their room they can break.

We just use a big litter box, and plain clumping litter. A lot of people seem to prefer the non-clumping, but we've never had a problem with it :mrgreen:

Thank you very much for the honesty. I have heard that they are more aloof then bobcats. But I have only talked to a handful of people with Canadian Lynx. So who knows, I guess one day I may find out :cool: ?

If you do be sure to tell me all about it. We love lynx!

I am guessing Lucy and Blysse are the bobcats? No wait Uga is a Bobcat. So now I am confused, what species are Bysse and Lucy? I know my Savannah if he was bigger would be like your Uga is with domestic cats.

lol sorry. Lucy and Uga are the bobcats, and Zulu and Blysse are the servals. Blysse lives outside.

Lastly do your domestics spray the area around where your exotics are kept? That is what scares me the most about an exotic cats, having my domestics and Savannah possibly spray :roll: !

No they don't. They try to avoid the doors to their room lol. We also have one of the doors barracaded because the dog keeps thinking she can stick her nose down there and make friends. :roll:

Thank you again for answering my questions and sorry for the long post again :mrgreen: .

No problem at all :bear:
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
amyers

Postby amyers » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:49 am

So... last week we had a little bit of an issue.

Lucy (female bob) has been having some sort of anxiety issue over the last few months. Everything spooks her, and she just goes into this frantic pacing that can last up to an hour. She has lost a lot of weight mostly due to frequent pacing. She still eats like a horse. She has started picking on Uga (male bob), but nothing serious. If he gets too close to her she swats and huffs and growls. If he keeps his distance, there is no problem. She seems to have decided that everything that goes wrong in her little world is my fault, and will absolutely not calm down if I am in the room at all. :cry: If my husband goes in with her alone, she snuggles and purrs and headbutts and drools. Up until last week she had only shown anything resembling aggression towards Uga. She would still cuddle up with and groom Zulu (inside serval).

Last Friday, my husband noticed that Lucy had Zulu on the ground and Zulie was hissing and spitting, which she NEVER does. He thought it might be over food, so he gave them a morning meal and went to work (I was already in school, so I couldn't come home and keep an eye on them). They were acting fine when he left. He comes back about two and a half hours later to check on them, and Zulu was on her back again, and bleeding. He put Zulu in a carrier and put her in the bathroom. She had a slice taken out of one of her hips, a couple of bites on her back, and a bite/scratch above the anus and around the tail.

Zulu has been in the bathroom since then while we treat and medicate her. We got their rooms divided up, and Lucy and Uga are separated. When Zulu fully heals, we are going to put her back in with Uga, but I don't think she and Lucy will ever be able to live together. :cry: They have not seen each other since the incident.

It just came so out of no where. Zulu is not the least bit antagonistic, and doesn't even act the least bit like a serval. She doesn't hiss or slap or bite or anything, but the bobs have always kind of...deferred dominance over to her. Even when they don't really want to be around each other, they want to be around her. Zulu and Lucy were loving on each other the previous night, with no sign of an issue between them. There has been no escalating aggression between the two of them. They are three years old, and have lived together since they were two weeks old, and everyone was fixed at 6 months old. We discussed separating Uga and Lucy because she's been picking on him, but we were always wondering "who gets custody of Zulu". Guess that's been answered...

For the record, we did "trial separations" of the two bobs before, and they get depressed without each other, no matter who "has" Zulu. It's kind of a love/hate thing I guess. They don't fight, and don't show any real aggression other than Lucy's lunge-and-growl towards her brother. Uga does try to....uh.....have his way with her occasionally even though he was neutered young.

We're going to start trying different anti-anxiety meds with Lucy to see if we can't get her to calm down. In the mean time, I'm worried about her having another "episode" and hurting one of us. The last one was so unprovoked I'm a little worried. I don't know that we'll ever be able to "fix" her, but I don't really know what else to even try at this point. She's not thriving as she is right now...

Wow...that came out way longer than I intended. I guess I needed to unload :red-face:
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:01 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Is it possibly a hormone problem? Or something that could be fixed with hormones?
amyers

Postby amyers » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:23 pm

I really don't know. She was fixed so young hormones shouldn't be a problem. I think there are some territorial issues though. She is doing better than she has in a long time now that she is separated.
ahonaswildlife

Postby ahonaswildlife » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 am

Hey, for some reason I haven't been able to view the photos. I right-clicked the "image" and it says that the DNS server could not be found. Anybody else experiencing similar troubles?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:11 pm

The thread is really old they may no longer have the account they were hosted on or the links may have changed as some places do not keep the links static(like FB).

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”