PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Serval pickup

Bobcats, servals, lynx, margay, anything smaller than a cheetah

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

steel2790

Serval pickup

Postby steel2790 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:23 pm

hey guys, haven't really been too chatty on the fox forums in a while but i still check in.
Decided to step in and help with someone's breeder pair, the male and female aren't getting along anymore, so i am picking up the male and housing him here.
Fun times.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Serval pickup

Postby Ash » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:51 pm

Ooh, that's exciting! Does that mean you'll be able to keep the serval? Or is it just temporary?

I remember that you were thinking about getting a serval kitten from Ken. Did that ever go through or did you want to wait a while?

That's exciting though! I would love to see pictures when you get him!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:32 am

yeah i wanted to wait out options and its a permanent situation. I will be picking him up monday and will provide pictures.
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:43 am

Here is Garfield.
I will take better pictures today, but far as his diet I am using raw chicken (primarily thighs) and am going to pickup Wild Trax supplement today, so it should cover his nutritional needs. He will also be getting an egg once a week added in as well as alterations of chicken/turkey soon for a variety.
He was bottle-raised, but spent majority of his life so far in the breeding program so you'd think it would take some time for him to warm up. However, he comes straight to me when i approach the cage and just sniffs me when i'm inside with him.
I bought a small kiddie pool to put goldfish in for him today, its like 6-8inches tall and 3feet or so long.
I'm always open to ideas/suggestions, but i feel confident enough from this+exoticcatz information for quite some time to educate myself on.
Also, construction for a smaller jumping platform is soon in the works.

If your wondering why his left ear doesn't stand straight up at the tip, it is from where him and the new female were not getting along, but there were no records of him showing aggression to people.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Wow, he's beautiful. I'm so happy you have the opportunity to look after him. That is surprising that he isn't aggressive to humans. Maybe because he was bottle-raised by a human he feels a stronger connection to us rather than his own species? Hm...

He probably loves showing off the torn ear though. It makes him look tough and manly! :icon-wink:

I look forward to hearing more about Garfield!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Garfield is already starting to play with toys and warming up.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:51 pm

He's gorgeous. :)
Glad to hear from you again and glad to see you got him. ^_^
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:01 pm

just now got the camera back (loaned it). But he's already licking stuff out of my hand and won't stop hissing til i scratch behind his ears at times.
Will get some more pictures possibly tomorrow and we're also bringing him into the garage for his "play time".
Also, i found out what most likely happened to yuri (the arctic fox i had this past year).
Heard some strange bark like sounds once or twice the first week of him settling in as well as a neighbor saying they were grilling out and a coyote came within a few feet of their grill and it freaked them out.
I am surprised they are in such a dense/populated neighborhood, but either way safety precautions were made and i also installed a hunting camera that captures picture/video of anything that trips the sensor.
somewhat of a ramble, just letting ya know i didn't dissapear, but should have some updated pictures with him over the next couple days.
fun stuff and what a tremendous amount of progress that has been made given that he is an adult male that was a breeder as compared to an indoor house cat. I guess the 2-3hours daily out there with him is paying off, also made the cage weather-resistant w/ partial tarp covering areas that wouldn't intervene with air flow so he still remains as cool as possible during the summer.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:30 am

It sounds like you're making a lot of progress! :icon-wink: That's impressive that he is warming up so well. I can't wait to see the new pictures!
BB

Postby BB » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Good to hear you are making great progress! It will be interesting to see what your camera will record.....I hope your sensor isn't too sensitive and gets triggered by moths or spiders. :roll:
kaylalk

Postby kaylalk » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:33 pm

He is beautiful!! I am so jealous.

I also like his ear. Adds character!
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Been meaning to update pictures on here, here's one I just took, need to get more back up on here soon.
He has really warmed up beyond my expectations. He even will headbutt me if attention shifts from him as a reminder to pet and scratch him.

also on a random irrelevant side note, found out that a local pet store has a marble fox and are apparently ignorant or uneducated, because they are passing it off as an arctic fox for their private care. Not exactly sure how to inform them without being rude, but its for the animal's well-being, since someone asked me to home their marble and the head of the state wildlife even said red foxes and all mutation variations are illegal to TN and may be confiscated and/or put down if they found them as pets. This is regardless if people are USDA licensed or not. So maybe a little bit of random advice wouldn't be a bad way on how I could approach this and apologies that this isn't filed in the proper tab.
he thinks he's king of the jungle in his pen, what a character =)
Elina

Postby Elina » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Wow he is so cute! It does indeed look like he likes you! I am so happy for you.

Regarding the fox maybe they know their fox is Vulpes vulpes just do not want anyone to get him taken from them? If that is the case then they may go into defensive mode to protect him and say that you are wrong. They may have had no intention to have a red fox variant though and may have bought it as an arctic (like when I bought Freyja) and be too attached to give him/her up or, like you suspect maybe they have not noticed themselves. . . I am not totally sure how you could breach the subject with them regarding the possibility or the other above options.

Maybe you could say that you had an Arctic fox but you found him to have a much bigger build or shorter nose or whatever and start a convo with them prior to bringing up the law and see how much they actually know about their critter? Then maybe if they know what their fox is you could go in a different day with a print-out about the law and act totally shocked that the government are so odd as to allow an arctic fox but not a red?
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:50 pm

yeah its a toughie, cause basically the guy that overlooks the state wildlife said it has to do with a rabies problem, seeing as how red foxes are native to TN, they are illegal. Basically, minus the obvious exceptions, pretty much anything native to TN that is exotic, is illegal to own, that doesn't apply to all cases, but for foxes especially it removes reds and greys from being a possibility.
steel2790

Postby steel2790 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:54 pm

here's an update of Garfield pictures.
Image (yes I am due for a haircut=p)
he was meowing, which is a rare occurrence, and headbutting right before i got the camera.

Return to “Small Exotic Cats”